How To: Lowering Spring Install!

jeg0024

Banned
:
2002 22V Protege DX
I spent a long time installing my set of goldline springs that I thought it would save others time by doing a full and in-depth write up on how to install lowering springs on a 3rd gen Protg, I have a DX so I have rear drums, but the same can be applied to rear calipers. I didnt make a note of what size sockets you need for each application but you will need a full set of metric sockets, a ratchet, adjustable wrench, breaker bar, coil strut spring compressors, pb blaster (WD40), jack, and two jack stands at the very least. A garage is also helpful.

spring01.jpg

spring02.jpg

Before anything happens you will need to remove the front strut bar and brackets if you have one. Remove the two nuts on each end of the strut bar and remove the bar. Remove the 3 outer nuts holding down the brackets, remove the bracket and replace nuts by hand, they dont need to be tight, they just need to be on the threads to hold the strut in place until its time to drop them out. With the breaker bar break loose the center nut on the top of the strut, only about half a turn at the mostyou will be glad you did later.

spring03.jpg

spring04.jpg

I only have 2 jack stands so I am doing the fronts first then the rears. Use breaker bar to break free the lug nuts on both front tires. Place the jack behind the front left tire at the jack point, jack up until the jack stand fits under and place behind the jack as close to possible to the jack point. Slowly lower the car onto the jack stand and repeat on the right front.

spring05.jpg

With the tires up in the air you can now remove the lugs and wheels. Set aside and make note of which side they came off of, extra important with directional tires. Once the wheels are removed it will look like this.

spring06.jpg

Remove the clip holding the break line to the strut and remove the line from the strut.

spring07.jpg

Spray the top end link nut with pb blaster or WD40 to help remove rust and hopefully loosen up the nut, let soak for at least 30 mins. Remove the top end link nut connected to the front side of the strut. Pull end link back and move up out of the way from the strut. Remove the two blots holding the hub to the outside of the strut. If need be lightly tap the bolts with a screwdriver and hammer to help remove them once the nut and washer is removed. At this point the only thing holding the strut up is the top 4 nuts you left where the strut bar bracket was. While holding onto the strut reach up and remove the 4 nuts, the strut assembly will fall out and be able to be removed from the wheel well.

spring08.jpg

spring09.jpg

spring10.jpg

With the strut assembly fully removed from the wheel well take it to a workbench (or in my case a stack of tires lol) so it will be easier to work with. Attach the spring compressors to opposite sides of the springs and follow the specific compressors instructions on how to compress the spring. Once the tension is off of the top of the strut you are ready to remove the nut at the very top of the strut. Remove the top plate and the spring. Remove the spring compressors in the opposite manner in which they were compressed.

spring11.jpg

spring12.jpg

Remove the strut accordion piece to get to the bump stop, remove the bump stop and cut off one notch on the large end.

spring13.jpg

Compress the new front springs just enough to get clearance to replace the strut top. Replace the cut bump stop and accordion piece onto the strut. Position the new spring onto the strut. The side with the larger gap in the end should be at the bottom. Place strut cap back in place and replace the top strut nut. Uncompress the new spring and your ready to reinstall the strut!

spring14.jpg

Turn the top plate so the white dot on the strut cap is facing the outside rear top strut mount hole, for those with the strut bar it should be facing the one hole that the bracket doesnt cover. Slide strut assembly back up into place and replace the four strut tower nuts. Replace the break line and clip, the two blots for the hub and the one for the end link.

spring15.jpg

spring16.jpg

Repeat process on the opposite side, once you are to this point on both fronts you can reinstall the strut bar brackets and the strut bar, making sure all nuts are tight, including the center strut nut. Reinstall both front wheels and tighten the lugs by hand. Remove jack stands one at a time in reverse order in which you put them in. Use the breaker bar and completely tighten the lugs on both wheels.

spring17.jpg

Front are done! But we are only half way done with this project, this may be a good time to go pick up lunch or take the rest of the day off and finish tomorrow. Oktime for the rears. You are going to have to get inside the car and fold foreword the back seats. There will be a few clips holding down the plastic panel above the rear speakers, pop them out as well as remove the third tail light from behind the window and disconnect it. Pull up with your hand in the hole you just found when taking the tail light off and give it a few pulls from the front, it should come right up. The two side seat belts can be slid out the sides of the panel, the center one may be left where it is. I took the panel and placed it in front of the seats so it was out of the way.

spring19.jpg

spring20.jpg

You will need to remove the seatbelt assembly to access the top of the rear strut fully, just remove the one bolt and it will be loose. Be sure to pull out about 5 feet of the belt and place clothe hanger clips or the such on the belt to stop if from retracting. Set detached belts aside.

spring21.jpg

spring22.jpg

spring23.jpg

Remove rubber cover in above pic and set aside so you will have access to the top strut nut. Break loose the center nut just as you did in the front, it makes it a lot easier to remove later, trust me! Loosen the three strut nuts as well just as you had on the front. Now its time to jack up the rear of the car, break loose the lugs and follow the same procedure as the fronts for placing the jack stands, placement pic below. (any extra safety that can prevent the car from falling off the jack stands wont hurt one bit)

spring24.jpg

spring29.jpg

Remove the wheel and if you have a DX like me this is what you should see. (obviously someone went crazy with the WD40 lol)

spring25.jpg

Soak the end link nuts as you did on the fronts. I didnt have any problems with them on the front, but on the rear they couldnt have possibly given me any more problems than they did. Try and do your best not to strip the nuts like I did.

spring28.jpg

spring31.jpg

spring32.jpg

Remove the remaining hub bolts as on the fronts. The brake line and clip also need to be removed but they are on the inside of the strut this time.

spring26.jpg

spring27.jpg

spring30.jpg

Once you have everything below removed remove the three bolts inside the car at the top of the strut to drop it loose. Once removed you should have this

spring33.jpg

The rear is a bit different than the fronts, a few extra things and a different looking bump stop. Compress the spring just as you did with the fronts, the rears dont have to be compressed as much to be taken off though. Once the springs appears to be loose start to remove the top nutnow arent you glad you broke it loose before? If the center shaft of the strut starts to rotate with the nut grab some pliers and get a grip on the medal plate right under the nut. It should stop it from spinning, allowing the nut to be removed, if that doesnt help just grab the strut shaft and remove the nut. Pull off the strut cap and spring. Uncompress the spring.

spring34.jpg

spring35.jpg

Damn the rears were dirty! Now the interesting part, the new springs may not need to be compressed to be able to replace the cap, mine did not need compressed. Put the strut assembly back together with the new spring. Make sure you line up the top threads correct because they dont spin with the top strut bolt all the way tight so leave it loose a bit. For the right side the center of the 3 threads should be positioned at 1 oclock to the outside of the car, it will be 11 oclock for the left side. Replace the strut assembly into the wheel well and place the top strut nuts in place to help hold it up. Replace brake line and clip, end link nut, and the two blots holding the hub. Lift up on the strut and tighten the top three nuts inside the car at the top of the strut, then tighten the center strut nut as well. You may need someone to help hold the center strut rod so it doesnt rotate as you try to tighten the nut fully.

Repeat process for rears on the other side.

Once everything is nice and tight replace the wheels and remove the car from the jack stands in the same manner as the fronts. Dont forget to fully tighten the lugs once the car is on the ground again. Once this is done its time to put the interior back together, its rather simple as long as you make note of how you removed everything. Now drive straight to a tire shop and get an alignment, no test drive or any of that, your test drive will be to the tire shop! Now I guess I owe you pics of my lowered ride? Well it was almost past dusk when I was finished but here are a few teaser pics until I get her washed and aligned in the morning.

spring36.jpg

spring37.jpg

spring38.jpg

I will have daytime pics posted up tomorrow, hope this helps anyone wanting to do this project them selves. If anyone has any questions about the install or if you think I missed anything let me know. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Absolutely Spectacular write up man! Definetly a keeper! Thanks for taking time and writing it up! (thumb)

DiS said:
Absolutely Spectacular write up man! Definetly a keeper! Thanks for taking time and writing it up! (thumb)

Thanks jeg! Great contribution, and excellent write up...WITH PICS (the most important part).

Tasty said:
Thanks jeg! Great contribution, and excellent write up...WITH PICS (the most important part).

Thanks man. The how to that I read before doing the install had only 5 steps!!! I dont know what they were thinking but theres deffinately more to it than that.

Oh, and I must add this bit of info... the springs have settled a bit and the ride had stiffened up a little. I checked the springs while I had the car up on jacks today and everything was still in its place:)

Good job man! I'd like to add a bit of information; no need to worry about the rear seatbelts retracting, let them do their thing. When it's time to bolt it back in above the rear strut, hold the assembly parallel to the ground (as it was bolted in car) and the belt pulls out no problem.

Bala de Plata said:
Good job man! I'd like to add a bit of information; no need to worry about the rear seatbelts retracting, let them do their thing. When it's time to bolt it back in above the rear strut, hold the assembly parallel to the ground (as it was bolted in car) and the belt pulls out no problem.

Thanks. And yeah I did find out that they would only pull out at an exact angle. I did have one roll all the way up on me and I guess theres more belt than can fit on the spool so its easier to keep some hanging out like I did, but if they do roll up dont spend any time messing with them untill the job is done. Thanks for the additional info man:)

nice write-up. When i did my spring install, I had a hell of a time with the endlinks. On one of them, I could not break the bolt attaching the endlink to the strut loose and ended up stripping the crap out of it, so I had to leave the endlink attached to the strut and unbolt it from the swaybar.

sam1 said:
nice write-up. When i did my spring install, I had a hell of a time with the endlinks. On one of them, I could not break the bolt attaching the endlink to the strut loose and ended up stripping the crap out of it, so I had to leave the endlink attached to the strut and unbolt it from the swaybar.

Yeah, same happened with me, but on the other side I got the nut knocked half way loose so I had to sit there and finish it off.

steve_protege said:
Did you change out the struts as well? How easy would it be to do that after swapping out the springs?

I did not change the struts, probably should have though. If you want to change them after doing the job like im gonna have to do you have to do everything over again, it would have been a lot easier to just swap out the struts in the middle of the whole process.

awsome writeup really helped me out with my install. Had alittle trouble with one endlink and just pushed and twisted real hard to get it to lay down to take off the spring. But your how to helped me breeze thru the install in no time. Thanks

SprNater said:
awsome writeup really helped me out with my install. Had alittle trouble with one endlink and just pushed and twisted real hard to get it to lay down to take off the spring. But your how to helped me breeze thru the install in no time. Thanks

Glad I could help:) Yeah those endlinks are a mess lol, next time I touch them there gonna have to get new nuts lol.

jeg0024 said:
I did not change the struts, probably should have though. If you want to change them after doing the job like im gonna have to do you have to do everything over again, it would have been a lot easier to just swap out the struts in the middle of the whole process.

Thats what I figured. So after you take off the wheels and hoses, then get the spring out, thats when the struts should be taken out, right? From the point the springs come out, what steps would be next to get the struts out?

Well the springs go over the struts. You remove the spring and strut as one, then you remove the springs off of the strut once you get it out and away from the car. In the 10th pic you can see the spring and strut once its off the car. At this point neither are really going back on the car if you are using new struts and springs. The 11th pic is the strut without the cap, spring, or bump stop and slieve.

Awesome how-to! I am going to tackle this over the coming weekend. Luckily a friend of mine has an impact gun, so hopefully it will go quickly. I am replacing the struts as well, so it will be good to get it all done at one time. One question, I have read other places that you should wait a week or so to let the springs fully settle before getting an alignment, anybody know if this is a good idea or not?

occytron said:
Awesome how-to! I am going to tackle this over the coming weekend. Luckily a friend of mine has an impact gun, so hopefully it will go quickly. I am replacing the struts as well, so it will be good to get it all done at one time. One question, I have read other places that you should wait a week or so to let the springs fully settle before getting an alignment, anybody know if this is a good idea or not?

If you have the time to do that and dont have to drive your car too much for a week then yes. I got mine alligned right after and they have settled some, but nothing that would throw an alignment off by much.

Latest posts

Back