Keyless Ignition Locked/Hard to turn

lsgko

I have the keyless entry system and lately I've been noticing lately that sometimes it is very difficult to turn the ignition. I've tried pulling the key out of the fob and using it but it doesn't help.

Am I not pushing the ignition cap in enough or too little? Does this have something to do with the steering wheel locking when car is off?

Thanks in Advance.

i think its the wheel lock. i had that problem once. that i havent had it since. of course ive only had the car for like 2 weeks now.

is it like, you put the key in the ignition, and you try to turn it, but it wont move? that the problem i had. and its only happened once

I have had mine for a while now and I have always thought it was a little "sticky" and I have had to use some effort to get it to turn. I have never actually had a key get stuck though.

If it is the wheel lock you will see the steering wheel turn when you unlock it by turning the key, I have never seen this happen so I think it is just maybe crappy design.

this used to happen to me all the time in the protege. i would put the key in and try to turn it, and nothing. if you attempt to turn the wheel it is locked in place right? yeah means you probably had the wheel cranked all the way to one side when you turned the car off. try straightening it back out as much as possible, then it should allow you to start it.

you have they smart key pad right? do you keep it in your pocket with your cell phone when you try to use it? if so that maybe the problem

I had this happen last friday. I think it is just the steering wheel a bit off center and the tires and steering linkage putting a little binding force on the steering wheel lock pawl. I just put a little force in either direction on the steering wheel until the binding was relieved and the key worked fine. Now I just make sure the wheels are relatively straight when I turn the key off.

Back