new timing belt... crappy gas milage???

Mr.Ames

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
so i used to get like 500km to a tank but i got my timing belt changed like 7000km ago and now im lucky if i get 400km to a tank. if the stealership didnt set the timing back properly would that be the cause of my poor gas milage?

7000 km ago would have been summer/fall right?

It's normal for your fuel economy to tank in the winter time.

How's it driving?

it would have been october... and it was a sudden change. my car idles bad now, it sputters and almost stalls from time to time. i've just been to busy to question/do anything about it

they better not charge me for this s***... they already chipped the paint on my valve cover they last time they had it off...

Surely if the timing was off you'd have noticed it from the moment the belt was changed? Spluttering and bad idle are more likely indicative of egr clogging (very common problem) and/or vacuum leaks IMO.

egr was replaced on warranty within the last year...
and i forgot to mention that i have to put 1L of oil in every 1500km now. before i didnt have to do that. and my car doesnt burn oil

We have timing marks on the pulley and a timing plate. Put a light on that thang! That will tell you right away!

I had the same issue - turned out the ECU had switched to limp home mode after the service. Try resetting it and see if it fixes your problem too.

so i reset the ECU and burned thru like 7 tanks of gas and i'm still getting crap for mileage and my oil is still mysteriously disappearing (no leaks and it doesn't look/smell like its burning). Should i take it to the dealer and make them check the timing or is there something else i should check first?

Back