Protege 5 brake "bleeding"

Protoge 5

I have changed rotors and pads all the way around on my 02' Protege 5. However the rear right brake caliper was trashed. I just got the replacement today. From what i know its just a bolt on and hook up the brake line job. Question is how do i properly do this. Biggest question i have is how do i bleed the brakes the correct way. Thanks for and info and help.

If you get these it makes it a whole lot easier. You can do them all at once and then you don't have to worry about which one to do first. But if you don't you start at the wheel farthest from the brake booster.
Hughes412 said:
just do yourself a big favor. If you do crake the brake lines you'll have to bleed them (I'm sure you know that). If you do, do yourself a HUGH favor. Spend the extra money and get the self bleaders.
sbani.gif

If you put these on all four corners you can bleed them yourself. If you have a bud with you buy one of the big bottles and do all four at one time and you can flush the system. All though you shouldn't need to do that yet.

Last edited:
How likely is it that Advance or Autozone will have them?

If not can i just run a rubber tube from the bleeder valve into a bottle of brake fluid. Pump brakes several times and while holding peddle down tighten valve? Should car be running?

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and with the bleeder closed pump the brakes 2-3 times and then hold the brake down. Open the bleeder and let the air out. The pedal will sink to the floor. tighten the bleeder.
Repeat till no air comes out.

Make sure you keep refilling the master cylinder reservoir.

HTH.

a223818 said:
Get someone to sit in the drivers seat and with the bleeder closed pump the brakes 2-3 times and then hold the brake down. Open the bleeder and let the air out. The pedal will sink to the floor. tighten the bleeder.

HTH.
You don't have to do that if you have these bleeders. All you have to do is crack them alittle and then pump! Just keep the fluid level right.

a223818 said:

HTH.
i bled the brakes on like 4 different cars in the past 3 days this way, works just fine and its free. no need to get fancy with it. this way works just great

You can get some thin clear rubber tubing and fit it over the nipple while you use the manual system above. That way you can have the other end of the tube in a bucket and not make a mess. You will also be able to see bubbles which helps make it easier.

Back