Timing belt change, tensioner and WP too?

P5inder

:
2002 Protege 5
Hello there,

96,000 KM is fast approaching and I understand that is the correct time at which to change the timing belt.

Couple of quick questions...

Should I change the tensioner and the water pump at the same time, or just the tensioner?

The tensioner went on my neon after my friend helped me change the belt. Chrysler mechanic never told me that it was highly recommended the tensioner be changed, even though I asked...

I know the P5's have no-interference engines but still, I don't want to risk breaking something...

Opinions are welcome and highly hoped for...:confused:

I highly recommend doing the water pump - i don't know about the tensioner - it would be a good idea i guess.... I just didn't think of it when i did mine...

I am not aware of any failures for a tensioner yet on our cars.

Personally, I'd do the tensioner and waterpump when changing the timing belt. Although the waterpump and tensioner have a slightly longer life expectency than the belt, with the level of effort just to get to that area, you might as well do it all while you're in there.

Agree. If you think about it makes no sense not to change the tensioner and water pump. Unless your either brimming with excess cash or simply like to take apart your engine more than necessary. Look for a complete timing belt kit.

http://www.protegegarage.com sells a timing belt kit for our cars for like 129.99.. comes with the timing belt, tensioner, and idler. It doesn't come with the water pump OR the tensioner spring.. I needed a new spring, couldn't re-use my old one, it was out of spec.

I haven't looked into the water pump replacement yet.. I'm at 78k miles.

Well, I went to the dealer yesterday, to find out the prices of all this stuff...

Water pump is $195 CAD
Timing belt is $95 CAD
tensioner is approximately $80 CAD

That's almost $400. CAD...

The service guys say that they do the timig belt change for $600, not including parts; just labour.

I'm sur this can be done for a bout 600, including labour... remember CAD

Some say the WP does not need to be replaced, some say it does (dealer)

It'd be nice if they all agreed on things, huh?

Well since my engine is out of the car, I'll change the WP for good measure... Oil pump too come to think of it.

looking at the parts diagram.. the water pump removal definitely required removal of the timing belt huh? I wish I would have thought of this when I was doing the timing belt a couple weeks ago.. honestly if the water pump comes out the side of the block and not the front.. you'd have to have the engine out to do it o_O

As has been said, you have to remove the timing belt (and everything that is on top of it) to replace the water pump. Best to do it all at the same time, especially if you are having the dealer do the work (it won't take them that much longer to change out the pump). I did my gf's '99 (w/1.8l) and did the belt, tensioner, idler and water pump. Also the thermostat, rad hoses and drive belts. Biggest pain is removing the passenger side engine mount (thankfully I have air tools).

IIRC the owner's manual says the replace the water pump at a slightly higher mileage than the timing belt so you can't go wrong doing them together. Look at it this way, can you afford to take the chance your car will break down due to failure of the water pump?

WP change interval is every time you change the timing belt. Because it's just killing 2 birds with one stone anyways...might as well.

Kansei said:
http://www.protegegarage.com sells a timing belt kit for our cars for like 129.99.. comes with the timing belt, tensioner, and idler. It doesn't come with the water pump OR the tensioner spring.. I needed a new spring, couldn't re-use my old one, it was out of spec.

I haven't looked into the water pump replacement yet.. I'm at 78k miles.

thanks chris, let me know how those parts worked out for you. i have sold a few sets so far.

we can do the OEM water pump as well for a good price.

Ken, did you get my PM on those parts? Can we do the water pump as well?

Back