Buy your Monterey Grand Prix Tickets in advance and Save!
Buy your Monterey Grand Prix Tickets in advance and Save!

Thread: Where's the best place to port a sub box?

home's where the heart is musiclikscreams's Avatar

'02 red MP5

Question Where's the best place to port a sub box?

i got 2 subs in 2 seperate enclosures and i wanna port one of em. where do you think the best place to port them is to get the best sound?

Car Audio & Southern New England Moderator

2013 CX9

Placement of the port is only part of the equation when designing a vented enclosure. In fact, it is the least important part.

First of all, if you plan to put both subs in your car, they should be the same brand/model and installed in the same type/size enclosure. Mix-matching equipment rarely does you any good. In most cases it just causes more cancelation and less bass.

Second, in order to successfully increase the amount of bass from a subwoofer by porting, you have to design the box based around the TS parameters of the subwoofer. Ported boxes, as a rule of thumb, are larger than sealed boxes so you can't use your existing box. You will have to design a new one from the ground up.

The first place to look for a design is the manufacturer's instruction manual or website. If they provide a recommended ported enclosure design you should go with that. If they don't, you'll have to use the TS parameters and a box design program to come up with the optimum design for your subwoofer. The size, shape, port diameter, and port length all play an important role.

If I have confused you in any way...chances are you are not up for the task. Just throw the subs in the trunk and leave it at that.

'02 red MP5

i'm a musician so that all actually makes a lot of sense to me. both subs and enclosures r exactly the same. where can i get the "TS parameters"? and where can i get a box enclosure program?

thanks for the info. i thought it would be as easy as boaring a big hole in the box. shows what i know haha.

2013 CX9

What is the size, make, and model of the subwoofer?

WinISD is a good box modeling program.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'02 red MP5

they're just some 10" Visonik subs i got @ walmart. they were on sale.

while we're on the topic... i've got 4 150w 6x9"s in the shelf in the trunk that need an amp. all i got right now is a 1 channel amp i'm usin for my sub. both subs r 300w. what's the best deal to get to power em?

Donated: $25

2006 Toyota Tundra DC

Sell the 6x9s for something worth using. The only thing more useless then 2 rear speakers are 4. If you must keep one set then sell the others to buy something of the matching brand and series for the front.

The cheapest amp is never worth buying....ever.
    You should be powering the front speakers with an amplifier long before the rears.

on the ports, keep the port on the baffle
    MECP certified Installer, Infocomm CTS-D certified System Designer

2009 Nissan Xterra
    2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T

2013 CX9

Anything from Walmart is not worth spending time or money on. If you are looking to spend money, go to a custom audio shop and tell them how much you want to spend. They will get you pointed in the right direction.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

02 P5

If your sitting at a concert, do you sit with your back to the stage? Then why have so many speakers behind you? I rarely ever run rear fill in my rides. If you want the best sound, put your money into front components and an amp for them. Bass is easy, good sound is hard. Oh, and WinISD is great.

'02 red MP5

ya i think i'm definately gonna go to a car audio shop. thanks guys