Standard Operating Oil Temperature

njaremka

Wiggity-Wack-O-Tack
Contributor
:
2012 Mini R55
Does anyone know what the standard operating temperature is for the engine oil? I am consdiering some gauges, and Autometer offers two different oil temperature gauges: 100-250F, and 140-300F.
t_18752.jpg
t_18753.jpg

Which one do I want? It makes sense to me to have the gauge show straight up when proper operating temperature has been reached.

if it is, i can't find it. all i can find is specified oil pressure, but not temperature.

Here's a friend's experience with oil temp gauges on his Saturn motor:

Saturn Oil Temp Gauge

I know it's a different car and different motor all together. I think I would look for a gauge that has a larger sweep area (for better resolution) and a 300 degree max. It might be a little more pricey, but when the gauge is pegged above 250, it's not really any good to you at all.

thanks - i was thinking of this one too (for the resolution):
3656_d.jpg

this one goes up to 280, and its way more expensive

i like this one too, but again mucho $$$
4356_d.jpg

TheMAN said:
engine oil in late model engines run VERY hot already.... if you understand the history of engine operating temperatures, they've been slowly increasing the operation temperature over the past 20 years... the whole reason is emissions... BUT hot oil (over 210F/100C) is BAD for the engine.... why? 1) oil loses viscosity and engine parts suffer from lack of lubrication 2) oil cokes 3) oil breaks down into sludge, tar, wax, and other crap

ideal oil temperatures should be 180-200F

tiwing said:
I'm reading oil temp of 220F once the car is completely warm. the thermostat is designed to begin routing oil through the cooler at about 185F, and to bypass it at lower temps. This will be especially useful up here when it hits -30C in the winter... the oil cooler is not in yet because I wanted to establish base line readings before installing it.

220F!! WOW!

Thanks. looks like i might be getting the Sport-Comp II full sweep, with 280 reading. i don't think i'll need the Pro-Comp, as i don't do full racing and "shouldn't" see 340

Back