How-To: Timing on the FS engine 2.0

Alejo_NIN

:
RadonElement.Com
This how to may apply to other engines...is just basic procedure

this is explained in regards to the FS-DE engine since most components mentioned belong to this engine but apply to many other engines.

hope you find this guide useful
no pictures provided, it was done on my lunch break at work.
i will try to get some pictures.

TIMING:
To find the right timing, make sure the intake and exhaust cams are on time regarding the GEARS

The easy way to put them on time is by doing this.

Remove the cam gears
There is a PIN on both cams, get them to face up
You will notice that the LOBES for each cam on cylinder 1 (closest to the timing belt) are facing away from each other...
Then get the first cam gear (they both are the same.)
Fit it into the intake cam and have the I with the little line on the teeth facing flat to the head pointing in
Then get the other cam and fit it into the exhaust cam and have the "E" facing in towards the "I" on the other cam
After this, you have accomplished the right positioning of the gears in respect to the cams.

Next:

Remove spark plugs
Place a long screwdriver into the first cylinder (the closest to the timing belt)
Have someone rotate the crankshaft from the bottom (it is easier to lift the car on the passenger side, remove the wheel and use a big wrench 1/2" with a socket of 21MM) rotate it CLOCKWISE.

Tell your friend, slave or helper to start rotating the crankshaft clockwise, you will notice the screwdriver move either up or down. The point of this is to have the screwdriver reach the highest point. It will reach it and stay there for a little bit and the start moving back down.
Have it stay at the highest point, this would be TDC or TOP DEAD CENTER.
There is also a BDC or BOTTOM DEAD CENTER but we'll use TDC for now.
Top for being when the piston is on the compression place
DEAD for being that even though the crankshaft still moves, the screw driver would stay in one place
CENTER because you need to find the center between having the screwdriver moving up and the screwdriver coming down. Dont worry too much about being PRECISE, you will never be, just make sure is at the highest point before it comes down.

Put the cams on time
Remember the intake cam is the I
And the exhaust cam is the E
Face them to each other on the center of the head and have the little marks or lines be flat to the head...I like to use a razorblade or any other flat thing to have the line as flat as possible to the head.

After this, start putting the timing belt

Lock it on the bottom first

Then on the tensioner

Then on the intake cam,

Then on the exhaust cam
Youll notice it won't wrap on the exhaust cam as easy.

Just try to push out the timing belt on the intake cam as much as you can without it falling off...maybe leave 4mm into the cam
After that, having it tightly stretched try to put it on the exhaust cam. youll be able to only do about 4 to 5 teeth, holding the timing belt tightly, use a 14mm wrench and start rotating the exhaust cam gear CLOCKWISE, after the timing belt wraps all around it , tell your slave to rotate the crankshaft...look at the screw driver and it will go DOWN, then UP again (that's one cycle)
then it will go DOWN, and then UP again, stop at TDC and check the timing on the cams...they have to be VERY close to each other (the I on intake and E on exhaust both have lines in front of the letters, match them and have them flat to the HEAD)
If it checks out, just do two more CYCLES CLOCKWISE and recheck
If they match again. You are set

Some cars ask for 12 degrees TDC, but this is done with a light gun and by moving the distributor.

If your car is equipped with a distributor, then bring the car to time again (TDC on cylinder one and I and E facing each other) now, insert the distributor and have the brush be facing a 1 that should be printed on the distributor...
Try to have it as centered as possible on the adjusting bolt...after this
Start the car, use a timing gun
Ground the timing gun
Connect all sparkplugs and plug wires
Connect the other end to the first sparkplug cable
Start the car
and point the gun to the crankshaft, have the little yellow line and by moving the distributor clockwise or counterclockwise you can move the yellow line from 12 degrees to zero degrees
I, personally, never use a timing gun; I find timing by looking at the RPMs
As they should always be no higher than 900 and no less than 700 with the A/C on and the same with the A/C off.

After that, your done!

Nice write up! This is going to help me out a great deal! I just did mine and checked my timing three times before putting the motor back in the car. I must of been off cause after turning the car over, the timing was completly off. I followed the manual, but I guess I wasn't dead on.

Back