Timing Belt replace....

with all the s*** you have to take off just to "inspect" the belt, stop being a cheap ass just ******* replace it ok? I've posted MANY times on this maintenence schedule issue before, NEVER FOLLOW THE "NORMAL DRIVING" bulls***! the MSP is relatively high performance and most people who own them, drive the s*** out of them... that means NO 7500 mile oil change intervals either! there are very specifics on the "normal driving" s*** and that means 99% of the population will never fit that (I'm not talking about just MSPs alone, but *any* car), simply because of the way they drive/treat the car/where they drive the car/how far they drive the car

I've had 3 instances of stretched timing belts jumping teeths here in DFW and all of those motors still ran but ran like s***... all of them had more than 60k on the belt, and had at least 80k... linux's car was one of them... NO, it's just not one tooth, but a whole bunch!

when you have a s*** load of power out of a "tiny" motor like that, there's going to be a lot of stress on components, especially if you've been racing (even on a low power non-turbo protege, just redlining it all the time will do the same), the belt takes a beating and WILL get stretched... ever wonder why there's those expensive trick race timing belts for some engines such as honda B16s?

you gotta pay to play, got that?

oh and while doing this work, it's a good opportunity to inspect a bunch of components in your car, such as the motor mount, the valvetrain/valvelash, check for leaks, etc

Thanks to "TheMAN" for the insight...good stuff. Anyone know who makes aftermarket belts for the FS-DE, Greddy?

Back