Coolant Flush & Automatic Tranny Flush

speedysmurf

:
2002 P5
hi guys.....looking for some input this is for my gf's car.
she has a '02 P5 with about 67,000 kms.
only owner on the car, but has never changed the coolant or tranny fluid.
Do you guys know the recommended kms in order to have these to items done?
Should I just buy the automatic tranny fluid from Mazda, or is there another brand you guys would recommend? What type of coolant should we use?
Thanks in advance for your input!!

anywhere from 30 000 - 50 000 miles is a precise reommendation for a tranny fluid change.. Don't foget, there is a filter you should change in the gearbox(pan).. at the time you cange the fluid.. Also, i recommend finding a shop that actualyl flushes the transmission fluid. this way, all your lines get cleaned out.

And its good to do a rad flush every 2 years. Keeps the system clean of any junk and stops yoru rad from plugging up and your heater core in good shape.

in my coolant overflow bottle, the coolant in there is like on empty, does that mean i need a coolant flush and fill?

not necessarily...you could just add some of the 50/50 premix stuff to fill it up. I usually do rad fluid changes every winter on my cars though. Better clean than sorry...

in the radiator or the coolant overflow bottle? because i opened the rad cap and its filled to the tip.

Flow bottle...just fill it up between the low and High markings.

Be sure to either use premixed antifreeze, or add a little, then water it down with the hose.

so half antifreeze and half water up to the in between full and empty. thanks for the help buddy

Remember *why* we flush coolant. It is for corrosion protection. Use the mfgr recommended interval.

There's a fairly easy procedure in the How-To forum about how to do your own transmission "flush" in your garage. I used some Red Line synthetic fluid- the D4 blend I believe.

I'd recommend Amsoil ATF for the tranny. It has smoothed out my ride and should last about 2x as long as conventional. Also the tranny filter was mentioned as needing to be changed. I never changed mine, and if I recall, Ken (CaptainKRMP5) has told me that the dealer doesn't even bother changing it the first time around.

Back