Upcoming Recall - Mazda5 Sliding Door Latches

Benfolio

:
06 Mazda 5 - '01 P71
FRESH off the wire! Don't shoot the messenger!!

Attention Mazda Service and Parts Managers

This is to notify you of an upcoming regional recall and regional SSP campaign on certain 2006 Mazda5 vehicles.

Mazda Motor Corporation has decided to conduct a regional Recall campaign in 31 cold/wet weather states and a regional Special Service Program (SSP) in 19 remaining states to replace the sliding door latches on certain 2006 Mazda5 vehicles produced from April 12, 2005 through February 1, 2006.

On certain Mazda5 vehicles, water may accumulate inside the door latch unit when the vehicle is exposed to a large amount of water (e.g. carwash, rainwater or melting snow). If the accumulated water is frozen under low ambient temperature, the ice will crack when the door is opened. When the door is closed under these conditions, ice can interfere with the door latch operation, causing the sliding door not to latch closed. The purpose of this campaign is to replace the latch mechanism with a modified one. Mazda Motor Corporation has determined that the frozen latch condition can only occur when the ambient temperature drops to levels substantially below freezing for an extended period.

Owners of affected vehicles in the following states will be notified of Recall 4306K:

Alaska Colorado Connecticut Delaware Idaho Illinois

Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Maine Maryland

Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Missouri Montana Nebraska

New Hampshire New Jersey New York North Dakota Ohio Pennsylvania

Rhode Island South Dakota Utah Vermont West Virginia Wisconsin

Wyoming

Owners of affected vehicles in the following states will be notified of SSP 68:

Alabama Arizona Arkansas California Florida

Georgia Louisiana Mississippi Nevada New Mexico

North Carolina Oklahoma Oregon South Carolina Tennessee

Texas Virginia Washington Hawaii

TIMING

Dealers receive recall e-mail: December 13, 2006

Dealer packet mailing begins: December 14, 2006

Owner letter mailing begins: December 18, 2006

SUBJECT VEHICLES

Model
VIN Range
Build Date Range

2006 Mazda5
JM1 CR29** 60 100023 120693
April 12, 2005 through February 1, 2006

The asterisk symbol * can be any letter or number.

OWNER NOTIFICATION
Mazda will notify U.S. owners by first class mail beginning December 18, 2006.

DEALER INVENTORY

Dealers should complete Recall 4306K or SSP 68 for affected Mazda5 vehicles in dealer inventory.

Oddly enough, as I was posting this, the message was 'recalled' by the sender. But oh well, it's out of the bag now!
I'm sure the ACTUAL recall will take effect someday....

Recall is BACK ON. They just changed some unimportant stuff. But we should be getting letters starting next week.
I haven't had the problem, but I know alot of you have, so this is some GOOD NEWS for once!

Sweet!
If I print this out and give it to the service manager, do you think he'd get the ball rolling before I receive actual notification from Mazda, or are his hands tied by Mazda protocol?

the_saint said:
Sweet!
If I print this out and give it to the service manager, do you think he'd get the ball rolling before I receive actual notification from Mazda, or are his hands tied by Mazda protocol?
You could get Benfolio in trouble. All they would need to do is recognize the forum and find this thread and track him. If he works for Mazda he could lose his job. You could however jot down the recall numbers on a scratch pad and present that to the dealer.

As a Californian, can someone explain the difference to me between a recall and a "special service program"?

It doesnt make sense

Kaian said:
As a Californian, can someone explain the difference to me between a recall and a "special service program"?

If there is a recall due to a problem, in this case cold, why do they have two different types of recalls.
How can mazda assume that if you live in a hot weather state, you dont frequently drive to a cold weather state.
Like say the jones, who live is dallas, but spend a month skiing in aspen during the winter.
Or the smiths, who live in boca ratan,but christmas in vermont?

Stay safe

I think that they are going to recall all of the cold weather cars, and fix for free all of the other cars IF the owner asks them to.

But, if a warm weather car made it up north, even a few years later, the recall would still be in effect, even if the warranty was expired.

Still doesnt make sense

Rocket said:
I think that they are going to recall all of the cold weather cars, and fix for free all of the other cars IF the owner asks them to.

But, if a warm weather car made it up north, even a few years later, the recall would still be in effect, even if the warranty was expired.

I hear what you are saying, but isnt any recall of vehicles voluntary. If I have a toyota corrolla and there is a recall for a bad trunk problem, if I bring it in, its my choice. They wont come and get the car or have me arrested.
So a recall in a "cold state" is voluntary, and if there is a recall thats "voluntary in the summer states" its the same thing. There must be a difference if there are going to be two different types.
Perhaps in the summer states, the bad sounds would have to be heard by a service person first, before a repair is authorized, which would be foolish, because the problem seems to be a cold weather problem.

I guess we will see.
Stay safe

recall notice I found at cars.com for 2006 mazda 5,s

Campaign Number: 06V463000 Date: 2006-Dec-04

Component: Latches/locks/linkages: Doors: Latch
Defect Summary: ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE FOLLOWING STATES: ALASKA, COLORADO, CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, IDAHO, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, MONTANA, NEBRASKA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, SOUTH DAKOTA, UTAH, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND WYOMING. THE SIDE DOOR LATCH MECHANISMS MAY EXPERIENCE WATER INTRUSION ALLOWING THE LATCH MECHANISM TO FREEZE IN COLD WEATHER.
Consequence Summary: AS A RESULT, WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED THE DOOR LATCH PAWL MAY REMAIN IN THE OPEN POSITION RESULTING IN THE DOOR NOT BEING ABLE TO BE CLOSED AND LATCHED. IF THE VEHICLE IS OPERATED WITH AN OPEN DOOR IT MAY ALLOW AN UNBELTED OCCUPANT TO BE EJECTED FROM THE VEHICLE WHICH COULD RESULT IN INJURY OR DEATH.
Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SLIDING DOOR LATCHES WITH MODIFIED LATCHES. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO DURING DECEMBER 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT MAZDA AT 1-800-222-5500.

Stay safe

I see your point. Perhaps they are going to annouce the recall to the cold states, and keep it quiet in the warm states.

Recall

I haven't heard anything from Mazda Canada yet.
I called them this morning and was advised that they are not aware of this recall...they told me to check with my dealer...yeah right, as if the dealer will be any better.
I faxed Mazda Canada this information. Yet again, I'm not happy with Mazda Canada's customer service, but at least they're consistent...i.e., consistently bad.
Anthony

What the heck...

Am I reading the recall correctly?

So the folks in Maryland (just across from the river from me), and West Virginia (7 miles away) can get new latches, but I don't get them because I live in Virgina?

Gee I didn't realize there was such a big temperature swing across 7 miles and the Potomac river...

I don't think you're reading it correctly. I think all Mazda5s in that VIN range are going to get the latch change. In states where it's cold enough to be a safety hazard it is being called a recall. In states where it's not cold enough to be a safety hazard it is being called a special service program. It sounds like it's the same fix, all owners are being contacted, and it applies to all cars in the US. At least that's the way I read it.

Jon

4306K owner letter
(for owners in Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming)

Attachments

• Owner_Letter_R4306K.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 531
Rear Latches

My dealer in Calgary, Alberta told me that this recall was only for the manual doors. There is no recall for the semi-automatic doors yet. Can anyone verify this is to be true. Thanks.
Anthony

The part number listed in the recall is for Normal Lock only. It does not say for sure in the recall if the "easy door closure" models are covered, but it does say only CERTAIN Mazda5's are covered. That and the fact that the latches in the 27 boxes I have here ARE the 'normal' style (i.e., very small and light w/o any motor attached as the easy closure latches have) confirm that.
Maybe they just don't have that problem?

Oh, and I won't get into trouble for telling you guys about a recall a couple days early. The NHTSA gets the info WAY before the dealers even do, because the recall has to go through government channels before us lowly dealer people even find out.
You'd be suprised how many times you hear about a recall on the news before the dealer even knows about it. Although Mazda has been pretty quick about fixing them. Dodge? HORRIBLE. I know first hand.

the reparation parts are for the normal latches only, they are not the "easy close" ones... the "easy close" doors are not available in the US and it's likely that they are not affected by ice so in otherwords, only the GS models in canada would be affected with the information available so far... if the "easy close" doors are affected in canada though, mazda canada should have appropriate information and parts released soon for the canadian GT models

antlind said:
My dealer in Calgary, Alberta told me that this recall was only for the manual doors. There is no recall for the semi-automatic doors yet. Can anyone verify this is to be true. Thanks.
Anthony
The GT models are most certainly affected in Canada a number of members have posted on various forums. I had mine replaced yesterday and the dealer told me that the TSB/Recall was pending but supposedly only for the GS "non easy close doors". I'm not really sure what they did but apparently mine was one of the first GT models they did in Canada. When they disassembled the door they found a large amount of water inside the wrapped bundle which is supposed to protect the mechanism. Obviously when this freezes it creates the problem. If you have a GT and are experiencing this problem you should tell your dealer that they have been fixing GTs.
So far it works, fingers crossed. They also did the recall on the suspension and replaced the suspension pieces per the TSB.

Back