hoosier pressures for autox

chris1866

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Hey guys,
i've been autoxing for almost 5 years now and have decided to pick up my first set of stickies.
I made sure i autoxed my MSP (in DS) on street tires for a whole year to ensure that i learned the car and it's characteristics well.
I recently came accross an awesome opportunity that allowed me to pick up an xtra set of wheels and a very very slightly used set of Hoosier A6s.
I was wondering what pressures i should run? I know that in the end it will be up to me to fine-tune, but can someone give me a ballpark?
For example, i used to run my azenis and have been running my toyo T1rs at about 42/43 front and 41 rear. But according to what i've read hoosiers like much higher pressures (around the ballpark of 49/50) can someone verify this?
thanks in advance guys

Nooooo. What class is this for? DS still? We had Toyo R1s (I think....RacerXGirl can confirm it, it was her car and I had a long day lol) and we ran around 35 PSI depending on our needs and how the car felt (between 32 to 38psi). I doubt you'll need to run the Hoosiers any higher than that.

On Justin's FSP P5 on Hoosiers, we were running around 30-35 PSI. I would use that range as a starting point and adjust from there. Chalk the sidewalls, check hot pressures, and adjust for necessary oversteer goodness :D

ok thanks guys. keep the replies comin
Yes, the car will still be DS...
<---Gets ready to take on those pesky Type R's

I hate those bitches! lol. We had a good fight w/ them all season, but got pwnt :(

Amaff, what region do you run in? Atlanta?
I am in Greenville, SC so there's nothing extremely close for me.
There's SCR and CCR and Atlanta. Atl. is over 2 hrs away so i may make it to one or two next year but that'll probablly be it. Now that i have competitive equipment, i would like to steadily compete in a region for championship points, as well as the SeDiv.
I'm probablly going to end up in SCR (most of their events are in Columbia and thats about an hour and a half away so it's feesable).
There is a guy there that runs a black ITR (John Robinson i believe is his name). The car is supposedly set up to the limit of DS, but he runs DSP because of the lack of competition in DS (i'm pretty sure everyone else in the class just runs street tires).
I think i'm gonna ask him to consider running in DS with me this upcoming season. If he declines ,i may end up running in the pro class just for some competition......(i'll get owned for sure there) but it would still be fun.

Yep, Atlanta region. And if it's the drive down, I'm sure if you ask nicely, one of the GACCers folks (including myself) would gladly give you a soft place for the night before the event. Hell, Karen Kraus (sp?) comes down for Maryland (I think) for every event, so you have NO excuse ;)

When I ran Hoosires on the Miata, the temp measurements during test sessions yielded pressures between about 38-45PSI. The large variance was due to a combination of track/ambient conditions, tire temps, and the way the car felt.

aMaff said:
Yep, Atlanta region. And if it's the drive down, I'm sure if you ask nicely, one of the GACCers folks (including myself) would gladly give you a soft place for the night before the event. Hell, Karen Kraus (sp?) comes down for Maryland (I think) for every event, so you have NO excuse ;)

aMaff, what class do you run in? DS is certainly the best for the MSP and the ITR so i'm assuming that's what you're in?

sounds good man. I can't wait! I just wish i didn't have to wait so long for the next event.......the 2007 schedules aren't even up yet.

I know. The ATL region has to wait for the sites' schedules to be finalized before we get to take the scraps of what dates are left. Lame.

What size(s) did you get? 225-45, 225-40, 245-40?

With the awesome amount of front camber you will probably be looking at the mid 40s for the front and upper 40s for the rear (depending on how you like your rotation and how you have your rear toe set).

I know in the Type-Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr we run 45 front and 51 rear on the A6, and that's with 225 fronts and 205 rears. (when I say "we" I mean when I co-drive someone's ITR).

I would/do make psi adjustments by at least 2psi each change, until it gets really close, and then by 1psi. Then, you can get the last .001 by adjusting the cold psi by 1/4psi.... jk. :p

It sounds like you know what to do, start in the mid 40s and start tuning.

I ran 48F/45R on my A6s in 225/40x17 size on my MSP in DS. Took 2nd in DS at Packwood National Tour. Had to flip them on the rims after about 20 to 25 runs as the outside edges were looking thin and I didn't want to cord them. I'd keep the pressures high to start as any rollover will trash the edges very quickly. I can only get -0.8 degrees of camber with my setup.

Good luck!

The size is 225-45 all around.
I knew i would have to adjust for my own personal preferences but i was curious as to where to start. Some people have posted (even in this thread) that upper 30s to low 40s will be good, while others seem to think that upper 40s is best.
I am probablly going to listen to apexlater and start with about 45 all around and adjust from there. I will also chalk the sidewalls to see how much they are rolling over and use that as a gauge as well.
btw, what's the stuff you guys find best to use to mark the sidewalls? I've tried some different things but haven't found anything that works that great...

thanks again for all the input

I use white-out, with the brush tip. It's small and easy to carry and doesn't make your tires look like the easter bunny crapped all over them.

I mark 3-4 places on the shoulder. You can also skip the chalk all together and aim for the tops of the triangles on the shoulder wear indicators....I think Hoosiers have them...

Us lower pressure guys are running a lot more negative camber though and the pressures Patrick quoted for me were from Nationals where it was cold and slick. I actually went down around 27-28psi in the rears. Don't listen to us. MSP Pro and Apexlater are the guys to pay attention to when it comes to Stock class setup.

I started the A6's at my old 40psi front, 50psi back. Big mistake. On sticky pavement, they did best at 35psi front and 37 back. For the Nationals at Topeka on that very slick surface in the morning, I ran 35 front and rear. Unfortunately the extra weight and lack of horsepower still left me 0.072 seconds away from the national title. (ughdance) I thought the A6's made it into a whole new car, though. I tried Kumhos and Avons previously and these were way better.

Sad to see you're selling your car Cindy, next year was your year!

Britt

Back