i think i'm getting pinging

kicker22705

:
03.5 Ti MSP
i've been getting this rattle/tapping noise from my A-pillar, when i get on it and i'm starting to think its pinging.

a lot of the engine noise gets to the cabin thru my A-pillar b/c i replaced the stock one w/ the autometer dual pod A-pillar.

the sound is coming from my A-pillar where my WB and boost gauge are mounted. at first i thought it was the loose wires from the gauges tapping the inside of the A-Pillar but i recently taped it down and i still get the noise.

its only happens when i'm boosting 5-10psi over 4k rpm.

if im not boosting i don't hear the noise at all.

i'm running a gt28rs (9psi), on a MAM built motor on 8.5:1 wiseco pistons, on a basemap microtech. my afr is about 12.5.

i'm running bkr7e plugs and 93 octane.

i can't tell if its just the vibrations from my exhaust making something rattle or if i'm actually getting pinging.

i never heard pinging before, does this sounds like the characteristics of it?

Last edited:
it sounds like rocks or marbles in a tin can being shaked...is that the sound?

maybe there's something rattling, and it's just a coincidence you hear it when boosting.

bazooka joe said:
it sounds like rocks or marbles in a tin can being shaked...is that the sound?

doesn't seem to be that high of a pitch.

i'm gonna try to see if i can record the sound and post it.

my apillar definitely makes tapping/rattling noises. at first i thought it was the lines going to teh gauges but if i rest my hand on the pillar pod, the noise stops. it may be ur autometer pod rattling.

I have a similar noise and when I place my hand at the bottom of my pod it goes away also.

mspHtown said:
my apillar definitely makes tapping/rattling noises. at first i thought it was the lines going to teh gauges but if i rest my hand on the pillar pod, the noise stops. it may be ur autometer pod rattling.

thanks i'll give that a shot.

What you're hearing is a vibration coming from the turbocharger, because of the pulses in the boost pressure. The pulses cause the boost gauge to make a buzzing noise. You can fix this problem by putting an in-line restrictor in your airline. (RTM)

monkeyt88 said:
What you're hearing is a vibration coming from the turbocharger, because of the pulses in the boost pressure. The pulses cause the boost gauge to make a buzzing noise. You can fix this problem by putting an in-line restrictor in your airline. (RTM)

himm interesting, i never heard this before. thanks.

Monkey either A. you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about or B. you are completely botching the explanation....if you're turbo is producing resonating vibrations they you have other problems to worry about, and its not normal...secondly with this tiny turbo there should be zero to no boost pulses...thats only a phenominon seen on bigger laggy turbos associated with wastegate creep and compressor chop...kicker log your fuel trims and timing for when you think its pinging and let us take a look. If its true ping it should show up like a pink dress at a black tie affair...

Back