Belt Squeal When Cold

Demoniam

:
2002 Protege5, Black Mica
Anything I can do to fix this problem. This problem has been occuring infrequently since I've owned the car. It has only been happening consistently since it started getting into the 30's at night. When I crank up, at screams like a stuck pig for 3-8 minutes. Checked the belt and it looks pretty new. It's kinda embarassing, especially if it is in a crowded place, or our apt complex.

Try applying some belt dressing. Perhaps take it in to tighten the belts, but I would try the dressing spray first.

How many miles do you have? Maybe your belts are due for replacement.

74,747 Miles...I'll check for some dressing after work. Any way to check the tension, or are our cars automaticly tensioned?

belt dressing is just a band-aid IMO. If the squeal is that bad, its the tension or you need a new belt regardless if it looks ok. If the belts glazed (which it probably is if its the original) its gonna squeal. The cars telling you something, so don't dilly-dally with a quick temp fix. Its a waste of time and money. I would get it replaced if its not loose and be done with it.

Had my alternator belt replaced at the dealer 2 weeks ago (86K). After 1 week, it started squealing more and more everyday. I do not know if the dealer didn't put enough tension, but it was pretty loose. I tightened the belt and it fixed the problem.
If your belts are old and worn, replace them. I heard the best belts are Goodyear Gatorbacks. They fixed a lot of squealing problems for a lot of people. I just purchased the belts from summitracing at a very good price.
GTR-40228 is the timing belt for $30.39
GTR-4040360 is the alternator belt for $9.99
GTR-4050457 is the PS and AC belt for $11.69

http://www.goodyearbeltsandhose.ca/replacement/selector.html

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="1" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="735"><tbody><tr><td colspan="5" align="left" valign="top">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Poly-V Belts[/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]4040360[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Poly-V, Alt[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]4PK0915[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]4050405[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Poly-V, PS w/o AC[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]5PK1030[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]4050457[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Poly-V, PS & AC[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]5PK1160[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="5" align="left" valign="top">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Timing Belts[/FONT]</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]40228[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Timing Belt[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif]Interference Engine Application[/FONT]</td> <td align="left">[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif] [/FONT]</td></tr></tbody></table>

what about when my belts squeek only when i am going above 60 and i am letting the engine slow down (dont have my foot on the gas)? It has been doing it for about 2 weeks and it gets annoying after a while, or until i turn my music up. I just replaced the belts a couple weeks ago too, so its not that they are worn. I checked the tension and it seemed good, but i gues i am going to keep tightening till i get results or someone suggests something else.

^I had an experience where I needed to get my belts re-tightened some time after replacement, because they stretch somewhat due to being new.

You might have the same kind of issue.

Back