Stripped special locking lug nut...

Tengo

Banned
:
2002 Protege5
happened not to long ago. when i was putting my stock rims and tires back on after painting them black, i was taking the rear left(driver) side wheel off and i stripped one of the special locking lug nuts. the lock key just made the key strip. theres no clearance around the lug. so before i take it to a professional, is there anything i can do at home with basic tools to take off lug or pop off the wheel stud? any help would be appreciated. thank u

i dont think so. i had this happen with the crappy lugs that came with my rims. took it to perfection tire, and it was off in 5min, free of charge. well...almost free, i did buy a set of new lugs all the way around, so it was actually ~50bucks.

i took it to tire kingdom just to see if they could take the stripped lug off, and he said they dont touch lock lugs, he said i would have to go to some sort of welder or sumthing, sum1 who works with a air chisel to cut through the lug nut and just yank the wheel off. so really i can go to just some other tire place?

try and use a 12 point socket (i think a 13/16) that is just to small and tapp it on and un screw lug work every time.

Dude weld a socket onto it and rip it off
Should be any fix and you will not have to fix the stud

Grab a cheap socket and just weld the socket to the darn lugnut and take it off. Happens all the time. OR you can take some oil/lube and a drill and drill the stud out and replace the stud which is easy to do with simply hand tools.

Let me know if ya need more help.

sorry but whats a lug nut?? is it the bolt holding the wheel??

tengoestetempo said:
yeah i guys i went to pep boys and they took it off for me, yay!!!!

So is your wheel lock key still functional? one of my wheel locks cracked and stripped the key, so I called up McGard and they had me send them my broken one and they sent me a replacement key. McGard makes the OEM Mazda wheel locks, so if that's what you had you can give them a call and get it sorted out.

Kansei said:
So is your wheel lock key still functional? one of my wheel locks cracked and stripped the key, so I called up McGard and they had me send them my broken one and they sent me a replacement key. McGard makes the OEM Mazda wheel locks, so if that's what you had you can give them a call and get it sorted out.
no bud, i have the gorilla lugs. they suck ass. my key is fine.

Back