Replacing Clutch and Rear main seal.

Chawk

:
2000 Mazda Protege
well i have spent about 3 weeks now, didly dadling around with trying to pull the tranmission out of the car, i am using the how to found on this site and a haynes manual. I will keep you guy's posted on the results. So far I have had a problem with pulling the halfshat out of the tranny i was trying to pry the sumbitch out, but that doesent work. what you need to do is wrap a chain around the space between the shaft and tranny then wrap the chain around another heavy large object and use the slack in the chain to pull real quick and the snapping motion popped it right out. All i have to do right now is remove the starter the rear mount and any misc wires that i may have forgotten about and then remove the tranny. once it is out i will replace the rear main seal which is leaking like a siv. The car has got 184,000 miles on it with orig clutch. I bought the car for only 250.00 so I am not hesitant to take it apart although I have never been involved in something so complex. I have been labeling everything and taking b/f and after pictures with my digital camera. Someone write back to let me know if you have done this or if you plan on doing this or are doing a project like this now so that i could get and give some pointers.

Thanks

whats up with this site??? nobody got back to me on this. I spent another several hours working on the car again today. I have to take the starter out the shift linkages, and the rear motor mount and i will be ready to pull the tranny out. This so far has probably taken me about 10 hours, and it is a total b****.

hey, i just joined the forum and found this post using search. im doing a clutch change on my 99 protege 1.6 and im looking for some pointers.

how did your tranny removal go? im working on removing the half shaft right now. gonna try your chain method.

wish I could help you guys out. I'll be dropping my tranny tomorrow with the help of someone with some experience, but I have the 2.0 (boo.. the 1.6 is a much better engine for turbo) so I doubt it'll help much.

Hey I locked myself out of the site, this place needs some more post, I mean whats up?? I still have not bought the clutch, no daylight by the time i get off of work, I am buying the rear main seal for 28.00 dealer only part, and paying about 137.00 for a standard aftermarket clutch kit thru rockauto.com, no real problems so far.

Latest posts

Back