Backup camera?

MP5Alive

:
2006 Platinum Silver Mazda5
I saw this on the CanadianTire.Ca website (item 36-2020-6) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a unit like this.

• Wireless rear-view camera and monitor system allows users to view the area behind the vehicle
  • Reduces blind spot when reversing vehicle
  • This versatile product works with most cars, vans or SUVs
  • Wireless transmission - Camera mounts at the rear of the vehicle, connects to the vehicles tail lights and transmits images to the viewing screen mounted on the dashboard or visor
  • Camera mounts onto license plate - the camera mounts discreetly onto the lower border of the license plate
  • Monitor mounting locations - the 2" colour LCD monitor can be mounted in various areas inside the vehicle (i.e., dashboard or sun visor) and connects to either the 12V outlet or can be hardwired in

Attachments

• 0362020_450_CC_5e2cd.jpg
    0362020_450_CC_5e2cd.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 1,062
No idea how they are, but they were selling them at Costco in Southern California as of this past weekend... Looks almost exactly the same.

If you need a backup camera for a 5, then maybe you shouldn't be driving! LOL! :D

I use a similar unit in my horse trailer. That way I can keep an eye on the horses in route. They work great for that purpose! One would be handy on my Avalanche as it's rearward view sucks. My Excursion isn't as bad but he 5's rearward view is fantastic by comparison.

I say, save your $$ and just buy a backup sensor set off ebay. Cheap and effective.

Last edited:
monsta said:
If you need a backup camera for a 5, then maybe you shouldn't be driving! LOL! :D

I use a similar unit in my horse trailer. That way I can keep an eye on the horses in route. They work great for that purpose! One would be handy on my Avalanche as it's rearward view sucks. My Excursion isn't as bad but he 5's rearward view is fantastic by comparison.

I say, save your $$ and just buy a backup sensor set off ebay. Cheap and effective.

Backup sensor? You mean a beeping device?

MP5Alive said:
I saw this on the CanadianTire.Ca website (item 36-2020-6) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with a unit like this.

• Wireless rear-view camera and monitor system allows users to view the area behind the vehicle
  • Wireless transmission - Camera mounts at the rear of the vehicle, connects to the vehicles tail lights and transmits images to the viewing screen mounted on the dashboard or visor
  • Camera mounts onto license plate - the camera mounts discreetly onto the lower border of the license plate
  • Monitor mounting locations - the 2" colour LCD monitor can be mounted in various areas inside the vehicle (i.e., dashboard or sun visor) and connects to either the 12V outlet or can be hardwired in

Saw this at my local Walmart, too. I think it was just under a hundred $$$. Not too bad....

zr27 said:
Backup sensor? You mean a beeping device?
Yeah...one of those "radar" things. Great for preventing running over toys, pets & kids. I find once a person has the screen to look at they have the propensity to forget to use their eyes to actually look behind them. JMHO, though...

I've seen the backup sensors and they are interesting but don't they need to be drilled into the bumper?

Kid Red said:
I've seen the backup sensors and they are interesting but don't they need to be drilled into the bumper?

I think some of the aftermarket backup sensors come on a strip that has to be placed under the stock bumper.....I've seen this in a Caravan the other day; looks a bit clumsy.
But as one of the earlier posts stated, if you need a backup camera with a Mazda5 maybe you have a bigger problem....:)

antlind said:
But as one of the earlier posts stated, if you need a backup camera with a Mazda5 maybe you have a bigger problem....:)

Sheesh, sorry for asking. But some people do have a more difficult time than others seeing lower cars behind them. Unlike some other drivers I've seen, I don't really like to use my bumper for bumping into other cars.

Anyways, this thing seems a bit overpriced to me. I do a lot of parallel parking so I'm already used to the dimensions of the car but I will need to teach someone to drive in this car so I thought it might be handy.

I also saw this rear window wide angle lens on ebay:

Attachments

• eb_1.JPG
    eb_1.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Those things are really cool! I've seen them in use on the rental car busses here but also on the some of the 4x4 vans used by tour companies here. I've considered it for my Excursion.

antlind said:
I think some of the aftermarket backup sensors come on a strip that has to be placed under the stock bumper.....I've seen this in a Caravan the other day; looks a bit clumsy.

Well, not sure why it would be bigger problem, can you see behind your gate? I can't. Something about the plastic and fiberglass makes it's opaque therefore preventing my vision from penetrating it.

As far as my post, I'm not talking about a camera. They are what i said, sensors. If they sense an object or movement, they beep. No camera. I just think they have to be screwed into the bumper, and I'd also want them paint matched.

Installed that back up cam for a customer. Not bad picture in the day but really bad at night. Screen is very small. Pretty easy to install. was put in a jeep libert

The camera in the picture appears to be hooked up to the factory nav screen. No idea where you get the yellow/red lines. There's a factory nav unit on eBay now, and you can get a video camera adapter for it.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

I have camera pictured in the 1st post on our Sienna. Very quick to install as it's a wireless unit, but picture quality suffers as a result and there is no illumination at night. The screen is small but serviceable, the camera takes a couple of seconds to warm up - picture starts out completely white, then dims until visible. Lens cover is plastic - I've heard of other people getting scratches. As it's wireless you pick up stray signals - usually white flickering, but also from security cameras which can be amusing :)

I guess for your Sienna it can be very handy, especially if you have a full house. Remember the small black concave mirror I posted earlier that was on my rental? :D

For the Mazda5 the nav system is cool. Problem is that it is for an auto tranny plus wife would not like to spend money on that thing for her car (she is like: 4 wheels, steering wheel, comfortable for family and to carry stuff, gas savvy and that's it).

No idea where you get the yellow/red lines

Apologies if I misunderstood your comment, but Did you mean: I did not see the lines, or, other cameras don't do that? If it's the first question, I attached a screenshot. The yellow-red-green lines highlighted by the red arrows are not part of the road, they are inserted by the camera and they are "moving" from left to right (I'm assuming they are delimiting the car length). I dunno the objective clearly, I may need to drive it :D

If it's the 2nd question, please disregard (scratch)

Attachments

• mz5_parking_camera_screen.jpg
    mz5_parking_camera_screen.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 679
Sorry - I meant that I'm not sure you would get yellow-red-green lines on a screen that you could purchase here in the States. I'm guessing it's available on overseas Mz5's as a factory option.

Hello just got my 5 a week ago. Can you add a rear view camera and have it come through the factory Nav screen? If so how? Thanks

Wired Reversing Camera:
Advantages: Image susceptible to interference Disadvantages: cumbersome wiring.

Wireless backup Camera:
Advantages: No wiring from back to front Disadvantages: prone to interference and more out of the transceiver, compare costs of electricity.(popcorn)

Wired cameras do not have interference issues and wiring it was no big deal. It is more expensive and involved than wireless but way worth it IMO.

Latest posts

Back