Transmission fluid (on a manual)

JT87

:
Protege 5
Hi I'm new here.

I heard that's it's recommeded to change the manual transmission fluid at every 30,000 kms. I haven't change mine, I have 64,000 kms on the clock. Is it very important to change it? Do I need to go asap? What are the symptoms?

btw here's my car, my new snow tires have been installed (Toyo Garit KX), Mazda 3 hubcaps.

:)

Attachments

• DSC03865.JPG
    DSC03865.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 195
Yeah, I'd change it. There's a how to somewhere on here, you should be able to find it using the 'search' feature. There's also a sticky at the top of this forum on tune ups/maintenance.

I changed MT fluid after about 8,000 miles using the excellent Redline MT-90, at about $8 quart. 3 quarts will do, it uses slightly less. Shifter was just 'slightly' notchier for about 1,000 miles, then changed into just a better 'feel' than the OE fluid. No probs whatsoever.

Got 88,000 miles now, and I haven't changed it since, but I should..... I'll be using the same stuff.

Absolutely not necessary. It won't hurt to change it. No offense totttalled, but changing MT fluid every 8K miles is like flushing money down the toilet, but again, it won't hurt anything.
JT87.. no, you don't need to change it ASAP. Every 50-60K miles is perfectly fine for MT fluid change.

I think totttalled was saying that the first change was after 8000 miles, not ever 8000 miles.

"Got 88,000 miles now, and I haven't changed it since, but I should..... I'll be using the same stuff."

the tortoise said:
I think totttalled was saying that the first change was after 8000 miles, not ever 8000 miles.

"Got 88,000 miles now, and I haven't changed it since, but I should..... I'll be using the same stuff."

Yep.

I think it's 30,000 MILES recommended to change it so you're not too far past, and if you do it now, probably no harm done. :)

I plan to change my MT oil too. I am looking at myoilshop.com and I see that redline has 2 product, one is the Redline MTL, one is the MT-90 (which is thicker I think) which one should I get (this is for my 02p5)

Mazda5owner said:
I plan to change my MT oil too. I am looking at myoilshop.com and I see that redline has 2 product, one is the Redline MTL, one is the MT-90 (which is thicker I think) which one should I get (this is for my 02p5)

Use the Red Line MT-90. This has the correct SAE 75W-90 viscosity for your car as specified in the FSM.

Back