Hesitation / Vibration in my new CX-7

gen1pro

:
06 Mazdaspeed 6
When I'm driving my girlfriends CX-7 I noticed like a hesitation when I'm at about 60 or 70 mph on the highway. It happens when I'm holding the gas pedal to stay at one of those speeds. Its almost like your driving on a bad piece of road combined with like a spark plug not firing correctly. Has anyone experienced this. She uses 93 octane and we went in for that initial check that they have all the CX-7 do.

I think I have experienced what you are talking about and I believe it to be an indecisive tranny. 6 speeds in an atuo are not really setup for 65 mile speed limits. What I do is down shift to 5th in manual mode and ride 5th. Theres not that much difference in 5th and 6th so no biggie. Ill go back to 6th if I find stretches of 70 and Ill keep it at 75. Maybe a shift kit would do some justice to take out some of the fuzzy area.

I have the same problem. My wife noticed it as well at highway speeds. Almost seems like it cannot decide which gear it is in. The manual switch is a good idea however when it goes in for its checkup I will let the dealer know. I would think there would be some kind of tuning for that.

Check the PCM updates done, I have them and mine doesn't do that. Not sure if it did before because I made them do the updates before I took delivery. Mazda makes PCM updates all the time, I insist that I get them everytime I'm in for service. You have to insist on them or they won't do it.

Next time I'm at the dealer I will have them update it. Until then I'll shift it into fifth.

Ok I was at the Mazda dealership yesterday and I mentioned this. The service advisor said it is a problem. They called it lack of performance and hesitation at 60. He said Mazda is aware and working on a fix for the ECU, they just dont have it yet. Ill keep you updated when I know something.

I have an MS6 as well and they had a ECU update that fixed an hesitation issue. I wonder if it is the same thing.

xavier said:
Ok I was at the Mazda dealership yesterday and I mentioned this. The service advisor said it is a problem. They called it lack of performance and hesitation at 60. He said Mazda is aware and working on a fix for the ECU, they just dont have it yet. Ill keep you updated when I know something.

I just spoke to my dealer today when I picked my cx7 up and asked about the hesitation. they said that mazda is still working on it. what does that mean to me?? I got an open ended ticket for a lemon buyback for the next 10 months if I need it. hahaha. I'm sure mazda will have things sorted out in a little while. ill tell you I'm glad to have the cx back after being forced into driving a tribute for a while.

More then likely it's the tranny trying to decide what to do with the torque converter. Whether to lock or unlock that is.

there will be a TSB released on the 60mph surging. It is due to poor transmission control logics. Just have your dealership update the TCM programming and it should fix it.

If you get surging/bucking (not around 60mph) and/or misfire "CEL"s, it could be a bad fuel injector... there have been several isolated cases of these happening in the L3-VDT engines already

Thanks theman. I got the PCM update today but the wife took the cx-7 as soon as I got it. My car is in the paint booth for a freshen up. I havent really had a chance to take it on the highway at speed yet but I will definitely take notes when I do.

Let me know if the new TCM programming made a difference. We seem to have the same problem when at highway speeds. So far this has been the only real problem we have had in the car. Although we do not put as many miles on it as others (we have had it for 3 months and just hit 1500 miles).

motopilot said:
Let me know if the new TCM programming made a difference. We seem to have the same problem when at highway speeds. So far this has been the only real problem we have had in the car. Although we do not put as many miles on it as others (we have had it for 3 months and just hit 1500 miles).
Well, unfortunately moto, the TCM/PCM flash made zero difference as far as the 60mph hesitation. What I did notice is the transmission is easier to control gear-hold. I dont have to keep the pedal floored to hold a gear, I can simply maintain about half throttle and the current gear will be maintained until I let off. The overall transmission behavior is a bit better as well but the 60mph hesitation is still there.

Do you know when it will be released and what the exact TSB listing will be so I can contact my dealer?

TheMAN said:
there will be a TSB released on the 60mph surging. It is due to poor transmission control logics. Just have your dealership update the TCM programming and it should fix it.

If you get surging/bucking (not around 60mph) and/or misfire "CEL"s, it could be a bad fuel injector... there have been several isolated cases of these happening in the L3-VDT engines already

wow i haven't noticed anythink yet but the next visit to the dealer im doing the flash!!

TheMAN said:

i thought i was going crazy but i have this problem to, it feels like a miss but no cel light comes on so it cant be a misfire, whatever it is i hope they fix it, having to give it more gas to solve this problem isnt cutting it anymore, i shouldnt have to play around with the gas pedal to have a smooth ride.

Last edited:
What's funny is i brought in the cx7 for the first maintence check today. When I pulled up the uy was all cool and polite, then I pulled out a list of "concerned" items, most which are the ones we have all discussed on the forum. He was alittle shocked and surprised that I knew about some of these. I told him the 5-6th gear problem is my main concern, cause even at 70-80mph it still happens. They are keeping again to finish tomorrow and I will let you know. For now i am stuck in a Mazda 6.

Moto... do you actually SEE the gears changing between "5" and "6" when you're doing the 70mph or so speeds? I've been on the highway a few times now and haven't noticed this gear-confusion either visually or in how it feels.

Back