Show your support and Donate!
Show your support and Donate!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RX-8 won't start...Please Help!

2011 Mazdaspeed 3

actually that reminds me, today while i was at mazda getting an ok of putting a 3rd tranny in my car. I saw an rx-8 on the lift with its engine pulled completely out and they were doing somethin to it. But they said because of a recall theyve been having rx-8's in like crazy, said the service manager.

'04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Velocity Red - Sold.
    '11 Black Mica Mazdaspeed 3

1985 Mazda RX7

right up the street from Nissan Pavillion
    01-004/05 2004-2005 RX-8 - ENGINE CRANKS NO START
    BULLETIN NOTE This bulletin supersedes the previous bulletin 01-004/05, issued 1/20/05. The DESCRIPTION REPAIR PROCEDURE "A" - DECHOKE / ENGINE STARTING, PART(S) INFORMATION and WARRANTY INFORMATION sections have been changed.
    APPLICABLE MODEL(S) / VINS
    2004-2005 RX-8
    DESCRIPTION
    Some vehicles may experience difficulty starting (cranks no start). This occurs after driving the vehicle a short distance without engine reaching normal operating temperature. Examples: starting a vehicle and moving it to wash it, engine stall due to mis-application of clutch then restart.
    A cranks, no start condition may be caused either by flooded spark plugs or lower than normal compression due to fuel flooding.
    Because some early calibrations do not have the improvements to cold start performance, it is important to update the vehicle's PCM to prevent possible no start concerns. Make sure to update the PCM to the latest calibration if the vehicle exhibits a no-start concern due to fuel flooding.
    NOTE: After repairs, provide customers with DE-CHOKING PROCEDURE WHEN ENGINE CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START information (for customers to try after a "CRANKS, NO START" condition, before towing to dealership).
    REPAIR PROCEDURE "A" - DECHOKE / ENGINE STARTING
    1.Verify concern.
    2.Verify battery is fully charged.
    NOTE: Hard/no start concerns may be caused by lower than specification cranking compression at engine start. Charge and inspect vehicle battery, replace with 0000-80-MT35-WB if necessary (see service bulletin 01-042/04 - BATTERY REPLACEMENT - SERVICE TIP). For warranty reimbursement, Midtronics printout showing battery failed must be attached to repair order & readings must be documented on warranty claim.

3.Disconnect the secondary air injection pump electrical connector (B1-04).
    NOTE: This will protect the catalytic converter by preventing rapid light off due to unburned fuel purging from the engine in the following steps.
    4.Attempt to start the engine observing the following:
    A.Fully depress the accelerator pedal to the floor (dechoke (clear flood) mode prevents fuel injection operation while cranking).
    B.Crank the engine for up to ten seconds.
    ^If the engine starts, proceed to STEP 5.
    ^If the engine fails to start, proceed to next step.
    C.Release ignition key from start position (shut engine off) for 5-seconds.
    D.Crank the engine for up to ten seconds (DO NOT depress accelerator pedal).
    ^If the engine starts, proceed to STEP 5
    ^If the engine fails to start, perform REPAIR PROCEDURE "B" - COMBUSTION CHAMBER CLEANING & SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT.
    5.Keep engine running between 1500-2000 RPM until engine speed has stabilized. Maintain this engine speed until all smoke has dissipated and/or engine has come to full operating temperature.
    NOTE: Do not race the engine, this may cause catalyst damage.
    6.Shut engine off
    7.Connect the secondary air injection pump connector B1-04.
    Boris Said-"I feel like the chimp that gets to fly the rocket, I just sat in there and held it wide open."
    FlipandFunk-"bill is a really a cyborg or also known as Bitterbillminator, a sophisticated drinking robot sent through time to out drink and bitterbarn our time."

I WANT A PRODRIVE P2!!!!!!!!

1985 Mazda RX7

Of course, before you go through all of that, just try what Mazda suggests FIRST.

WARMING THE ENGINE
    The Mazda RENESIS Rotary Engine provides exceptional performance dynamics and reduces exhaust emissions, allowing the RX-8 to meet the strict Tier 2 emissions classification in the U.S. Mazda achieved this in part by the design of the engine ports and adopting a sequential dynamic air intake system.) Because of its unique design, it is important to warm up the engine before shutting it off Ideally, the engine coolant temperature gauge needle should reach the middle of the normal operating range before shutting off the engine.
    DE-CHOKING PROCEDURE WHEN ENGINE CRANKS BUT DOES NOT START
    If the engine does not start, try the following procedure to start the engine using the de-choke mode.
    Failure to do so may aggravate the no start condition.
    1.Depress and hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and crank the engine for 7-8 seconds. (This will clean out any unburned fuel from the combustion chamber)
    2.Release the ignition key to stop cranking.
    3.Release the accelerator pedal and start the engine. If the engine starts while performing Step 1 the engine will rev up. Immediately release the ignition key to stop cranking and remove your foot from the accelerator pedal.
    ^Do not keep holding the ignition switch in the START position over 10 seconds if the engine does not start. This may result in a weakened or dead battery.
    ^Avoid racing the engine or sudden take off right after starting the engine.
    ^If the engine still fails to start following the De-choking procedure, have your vehicle inspected by your Mazda Dealer.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue

Somebody is almost as old as I am.

Holding the accelerator down while cranking will clear a carburated non-fuel injected motor.

Fuel injection and turbo charging change matters significantly, and the procedure normally will not work.
    A friend of Thunder

a Mulligan

dude, just take your RX-8 in for the engine recall, they will test your engine for compression, if it fails you get a brand new engine, no questions asked.

and the way you abuse your car in general, i'm hoping you'll sell it or trade it so a better hand will be in care of this wonderful car. i hate to have an rx-8 being abused by its owner.
    Last edited by ZoomZoomH; 10-23-2006 at 10:57 PM.

on June 7, 2004, a Mulligan was born...
    ... and on July 29, 2009, it was gone (from me at least)

a Mulligan

Quote Originally Posted by G-Papi

Holding the accelerator down while cranking will clear a carburated non-fuel injected motor.

Fuel injection and turbo charging change matters significantly, and the procedure normally will not work.
    what you don't know is, at least from the 2nd gen RX-7's (Dan can verify for 1st gens) on, in all Mazda production rotary cars, depressing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will actually CUT OFF fuel from the engine.

it's Mazda's built-in deflooding mechanism, USE IT
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

1985 Mazda RX7

Yes. It works on a carbuerated car.

Yes, it normally works on fuel injected cars. The RX-8 is one of them. What I quoted is directly from Mazda. When you hold the accelerator to the floor, the ECU reads that, and cuts the Fuel Injectors. Keep cranking, and if you didn't flood it too bad before hand, it'll clear itself out.

a Mulligan

^yeah, and what Dan said, lol

'07 Mazda6s Grand Touring Automatic 5D Tropical Island Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Dan
    Yes. It works on a carbuerated car.

Yes, it normally works on fuel injected cars. The RX-8 is one of them. What I quoted is directly from Mazda. When you hold the accelerator to the floor, the ECU reads that, and cuts the Fuel Injectors. Keep cranking, and if you didn't flood it too bad before hand, it'll clear itself out.
    I hadn't seen your post - I think we posted almost simultaneously.

1985 Mazda RX7

n/p

a Mulligan

and just because i'm such a nice guy, print this out and show it to the dealer and they will HAVE to do the engine recall on your car:

http://www.finishlineperformance.com...ecall4206F.pdf

2004 RX8 - GT

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoomH
    what you don't know is, at least from the 2nd gen RX-7's (Dan can verify for 1st gens) on, in all Mazda production rotary cars, depressing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will actually CUT OFF fuel from the engine.

it's Mazda's built-in deflooding mechanism, USE IT

bingo...we have a winner!!

Mazda(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G-Papi

as said, in almost all FI (fuel injected) cars....holding the thottle down 100% will cause the car to inject no fuel but crank.

the other option is the pull the main EFI (electronic fuel injection) relay and crank....again no fuel will be injected.

1999 Silver Mazda MX5 - 5 Speed - Base + LSD = My First Sports-Car
    2005 Silver Mazda RX8 - 6 Speed - Touring = My First Rotary
    "I'm almost too JDM"
    "Extreme hot rodding bring great pleasure thru magic tune of lonely driving experience."
    "If the sky cries, we will slide : Bring your racing suits and tuxedo masks."
    DRIFTERs LOVE THE SAUCE :cool:

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

depressing the gas pedal in my gsl-se first gen (EFI not carburated) flooded the shit out of it.

2011 Mazdaspeed 3

as many times as ive watched rx8's go in and out of the dealerships, and i asked my service manager im cool with about gettin one. He plainly said, your retarded if you do, they are nothing but problems.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast