RX-8 won't start...Please Help!

G-Papi said:
Somebody is almost as old as I am.

Holding the accelerator down while cranking will clear a carburated non-fuel injected motor.

Fuel injection and turbo charging change matters significantly, and the procedure normally will not work.

what you don't know is, at least from the 2nd gen RX-7's (Dan can verify for 1st gens) on, in all Mazda production rotary cars, depressing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will actually CUT OFF fuel from the engine.

it's Mazda's built-in deflooding mechanism, USE IT

Yes. It works on a carbuerated car.

Yes, it normally works on fuel injected cars. The RX-8 is one of them. What I quoted is directly from Mazda. When you hold the accelerator to the floor, the ECU reads that, and cuts the Fuel Injectors. Keep cranking, and if you didn't flood it too bad before hand, it'll clear itself out.

Lt. Dan said:
Yes. It works on a carbuerated car.

Yes, it normally works on fuel injected cars. The RX-8 is one of them. What I quoted is directly from Mazda. When you hold the accelerator to the floor, the ECU reads that, and cuts the Fuel Injectors. Keep cranking, and if you didn't flood it too bad before hand, it'll clear itself out.
I hadn't seen your post - I think we posted almost simultaneously.

ZoomZoomH said:
what you don't know is, at least from the 2nd gen RX-7's (Dan can verify for 1st gens) on, in all Mazda production rotary cars, depressing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking will actually CUT OFF fuel from the engine.

it's Mazda's built-in deflooding mechanism, USE IT

bingo...we have a winner!!

G-Papi said:
Somebody is almost as old as I am.

Holding the accelerator down while cranking will clear a carburated non-fuel injected motor.

Fuel injection and turbo charging change matters significantly, and the procedure normally will not work.

as said, in almost all FI (fuel injected) cars....holding the thottle down 100% will cause the car to inject no fuel but crank.

the other option is the pull the main EFI (electronic fuel injection) relay and crank....again no fuel will be injected.

depressing the gas pedal in my gsl-se first gen (EFI not carburated) flooded the s*** out of it.

as many times as ive watched rx8's go in and out of the dealerships, and i asked my service manager im cool with about gettin one. He plainly said, your retarded if you do, they are nothing but problems.

InFeXIoN said:
as many times as ive watched rx8's go in and out of the dealerships, and i asked my service manager im cool with about gettin one. He plainly said, your retarded if you do, they are nothing but problems.

sounds like someone that's been on the job for a while...

jvohs83 said:
RX-8 wont start! Turns over, just took forever to start. I literally had to crank it over for a half hour straight. Then when it started, fumes everywhere! Blue/White smoke. Now seems to be fine. I had it at the dealership for a rough idle a few months ago, and like usual the bulls*** dealer said they couldn't find anything. Its an '04, 6sp. Was there a service bulletin somewhere about low fuel pressure or something? I thought I saw that once. And will my '04 still be under warranty? Only 28k miles on it. I dont know what to do if the dealership isn't going to do anything about it, and we dont have any local shops around here that know anything about rotarys. PLEASE HELP!
your engine WAS flooded, that's why it won't start! a flooeded rotary engine will just basically cause a low compression condition because the fuel is causing the apex seals to not seal at all... I don't know WTF you caused it to happen, but this s*** happens from: short distance driving (driving to the corner store, or moving it around on the driveway), starting the engine and shutting it off before it's warmed up, worn or fouled spark plugs

what you should've done was left it alone, get the car towed to the dealer so that they could deflood it under the no start TSB, and since you have an 04, you might've gotten a new battery and a better starter as well as new spark plugs if you haven't gotten the recall done yet

but since you took the liberty of getting the car running/fixing it yourself, the dealer can't do anything for you because they can't reproduce the problem... so now the "crappy stealership" is going to tell you to go away because the car runs

so in otherwords, if some s*** happens to your car and it's under warranty, get it to the dealer and let them fix it while they can obviously see that it's ******... don't just take your sweet time and do whatever or get the car going (if it wasn't running) and then take it to the dealer because then there's no more problem with the car

towing is FREE anyway because all mazdas under warranty have FREE roadside assistance

and to prevent a flooded rotary, ALWAYS rev it to at least 3000rpm before shutting it off... and on a cold engine, rev it and hold it at 3500rpm then turn the key off while it's still there

InFeXIoN said:

I say he's retarded :p

I will own a rotary someday, but I will take impeccable care of it like I do my Protege5.

Kansei said:

I will own a rotary someday, but I will take impeccable care of it like I do my Protege5.

even if you take the best of care you can still get a car that gives you problems.

I'm on my thrid engine! I've always taken the best of care with the car.....sometimes you get a friday car

That said, I still love to drive the RX8. It really is a fun car.

TheMAN said:
so in otherwords, if some s*** happens to your car and it's under warranty, get it to the dealer and let them fix it while they can obviously see that it's ******... don't just take your sweet time and do whatever or get the car going (if it wasn't running) and then take it to the dealer because then there's no more problem with the car

in a perfect world....yes....

but in the real world...sometimes this happens when the dealer is closed, so you would be without a car till tommorow when you can get it to the dealer.

Also, ive had to wait up to 3 hours for mazda roadside....and up to 5 hours for AAA roadside (in an area mazda didnt serve they had to call AAA).

Also every time i have used mazda road side, the towtruck driver tells me he is not allowed to have anyone ride in the truck....company policy....blah blah blah....and everytime I complain to the dealer and mazda roadside and mazda corp...and they just tell me sorry, your supposed to get a ride with the car to the dealer.

So as if having your car break down isnt bad enough, you wait 3 hours for the town truck...then after he loads up the car he tells you that youll have to find a ride...so then you find a ride (friend, cab, ect) and get a ride to the dealer only to get there and the service dept just closed (at my dealer, the second its time to close the service dept turns into a ghost town and no one is there.......seriously, i got there one time at 7:55pm (the close at 8pm) and i made the mistake of going to the bathroom, when I got there they were all in the office waiting, when I get out and the clock shows 8pm exactly all the lights were off and no one was there.....WTF). So you have to get another ride home and then back again the next morning....what a nightmare.....and all that happens on a car with 6k miles on it that is 4 months old...WTF is that?

if you managed to fix it yourself, good for you... if you fixed it and then tell the dealer "it broke", they'll find the car is fine and won't do anything... so if you got a problem with this arrangement, suck it up and get the car towed to the dealer or fix it and get on with your life instead of bitching at how bad your dealer is simply because they no longer could reproduce the problem you had due to the fact that you fixed it

TheMAN said:
if you managed to fix it yourself, good for you... if you fixed it and then tell the dealer "it broke", they'll find the car is fine and won't do anything... so if you got a problem with this arrangement, suck it up and get the car towed to the dealer or fix it and get on with your life instead of bitching at how bad your dealer is simply because they no longer could reproduce the problem you had due to the fact that you fixed it
Yup!

TheMAN said:

actually, the ONLY time i ever had to use the dechoke procedure to start up the engine, once i started it up, i literally drove straight to the dealership (no appointment AT ALL), told them i had a 'crank no start/hard to start' condition, and they replaced my plugs, put in a new starter, and put in a stronger battery, all under warranty, without asking a single question.

in the end it still comes down to individual dealerships and how it is run; whether they're in it to squeeze every last cent out of every customer every visit, or actually attempt build a business relationship so customers will actually voluntarily bring their cars in for future services.

*insert requisite 'YMMV' disclaimer here*

Kansei said:

problem is you never now when that motor goes...lol you could be driving along go to the store shut it down go in get your crap, go start the car, and hmm nothing tow it home and theres 0 compression in the rear and 30 in the front.... nahhh never happened to me....2 friggin times well once i coasted down the hill to my house. but none the less it was runnin just fine water temp a-o-k boost, workin fine, oil full,(know this because i checcked it that morning) they just feel like goin one day and s*** on you. but on the other hand i have seen some with 300k on it and runnin fine on the original motor no rebuilds.

Back