Headrests

C-Man

:
2007 CX-7
I love my CX7 except for the front headrests. Both my wife and I feel like our heads are being pushed forward, no matter how we adjust the seats (and/or headrests). We recently rented a Cobalt and noticed this problem to the extreme and have since been noticing other new cars with the same problem. Fortunately the situation is not as dire in the CX7! However, the discomfort is bad enough that my wife talks of aftermarket headrests or having the headrests physically modified so that they swivel back.

Is it just us? Surely others have noticed this as well? Does anyone know the reason for this apparently new design?

New Fed standard

C-Man said:
I love my CX7 except for the front headrests. Both my wife and I feel like our heads are being pushed forward, no matter how we adjust the seats (and/or headrests). We recently rented a Cobalt and noticed this problem to the extreme and have since been noticing other new cars with the same problem. Fortunately the situation is not as dire in the CX7! However, the discomfort is bad enough that my wife talks of aftermarket headrests or having the headrests physically modified so that they swivel back.

Is it just us? Surely others have noticed this as well? Does anyone know the reason for this apparently new design?

This is why: Feds Set New Headrest Standard - Daily Auto Insider
The Daily Auto Insider
Friday, December 10, 2004
December 2004

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it will require vehicle headrests to be higher and closer to the head by 2008 under a just-released safety standard, the Associated Press reported.

NHTSA said it will cost $4.51 per vehicle to meet the front seat requirement but it believes the new rule will prevent 16,831 injuries and save more than $100 million in medical bills and other costs. The agency estimates there are 270,000 whiplash injuries each year.

The new rule won't require headrests in the backseat although NHTSA has established rules for automakers who install backseat headrests voluntarily.

Evidently, Mazda chose to implement the standard prior to its due date.

Vision67 said:
This is why: Feds Set New Headrest Standard - Daily Auto Insider
The Daily Auto Insider
Friday, December 10, 2004
December 2004

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said it will require vehicle headrests to be higher and closer to the head by 2008 under a just-released safety standard, the Associated Press reported.

NHTSA said it will cost $4.51 per vehicle to meet the front seat requirement but it believes the new rule will prevent 16,831 injuries and save more than $100 million in medical bills and other costs. The agency estimates there are 270,000 whiplash injuries each year.

The new rule won't require headrests in the backseat although NHTSA has established rules for automakers who install backseat headrests voluntarily.

Evidently, Mazda chose to implement the standard prior to its due date.

So these would be considered active or dynamic head restraints then? I can't wait to tell my wife - she'll be so pleased (not!).

My wife feels the same way in most new cars, including the CX-7. It really rubs her the wrong way. It is not problematic for me.

Latest posts

Back