Honda reveals the Advanced VTEC engine

Antoine

Administrator
Honda reveals the Advanced VTEC engine

-AutoBlog
advancedvtec3.jpg

Honda's engineers have been busily figuring out how to make their VTEC engine better, and today the auto giant released the first details about the next-generation powerplant, which they're calling Advanced VTEC. Honda says it plans to have the new engine in a production car within the next three years.

Torquier at all speeds, the engine also sets the valves for low lift and early closure at lower load levels, which boosts fuel economy to the tune of 13% over the current 2.4L i-VTEC when the engine is equipped with the proper intake bits. In addition to being punchier and more economical, the engine is cleaner-burning as well, garnering a LEV2-ULEV emissions rating.

This is good news. While research and implementation of the various alternative fuel and propulsion solutions is most welcome, there's a lot to be said for the regular, economical four-cylinder gasoline engine. If Honda is on the verge of producing a four with power, more torque (hooray!), better fuel economy and cleaner emissions, the Advanced VTEC is going to be a highly attractive alternative to the alternatives.

(Additional photos, press release after the jump)

[Source: Honda]

Honda Advanced VTEC Research Vehicle:
advtec01.jpg

advancedvtec1.jpg

advtec02.jpg

advtec03.jpg

PRESS RELEASE:
Honda Develops Advanced VTEC Engine Combining High Power and Environmental Performance

September 25, 2006Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has further advanced its VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control System) technology with the development of the Advanced VTEC engine, which achieves high performance along with outstanding fuel economy and lower emissions. The new engine combines continuously variable valve lift and timing control with the continuously variable phase control of VTC (Variable Timing Control). Honda plans to release a production vehicle equipped with the new engine within three years.

This new system permits optimum control over intake valve lift and phase in response to driving conditions, achieving improved charging efficiency for a significant increase in torque at all engine speeds. Under low to medium load levels, the valves are set for low lift and early closure to reduce pumping losses and improve fuel economy.

In combination with optimized intake components, these advances in control technology result in world-class dynamic performance along with approximately 13%* improvement in fuel economy. The new engine is also exceptionally clean, with exhaust emissions that meet both U.S. Environmental Protection Agency LEV2-ULEV regulations and Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport requirements for Low-Emission Vehicles, with emission levels 75% lower than those required by the 2005 standards (based on Honda calculations).
* Engine only, as compared to production 2.4-liter i-VTEC engine (Honda calculations)
<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Wow, I am curious to see what numbers the new S2000 will put down... it will definetly be a head turner

I think it was Jeremy on Top Gear that said no VTEC has ever failed. Not the 15 million cars has the valve timing broken. I couldn't imagine the testing required to insure this new AVTEC.

The faster Honda gets this technology into a 1.0L I3 + hybrid in the Fit, the better I say. 60+mpg on regular fuel with sub 8 sec 0 to 60 would be oh so nice.

Note to the fledgling GM and Ford. See? If you build cool and useful technology, people become interested and buy your product.

now if only other carmakers could get that kind of torque out of their small N/A 4-cyls....

dmitrik4 said:
now if only other carmakers could get that kind of torque out of their small N/A 4-cyls....
What do you mean by "small"?

I mean Porsche 944 S4 with a 3.0L I4 isn't exactly small.

Some stats I picked up:

1990 Nissan NX2000 - 140hp/130 lb-ft (2.0)
1990 Porsche 944 S4 - 208/206 (3.0)
Honda Civic Si - 197/139 (2.0)
Honda Accord - 166/160 (2.4)
Toyota Camry - 154/160 (2.4)
Dodge Caliber - 172/165 (2.4)
Subaru Impreza - 173/166 (2.5)
Mazda6 - 160/155 (2.3)
Ford Fusion - 160/150 (2.3)
Chrysler Sebring - 150/160 (2.4)
Mini Cooper - 115/111 (1.6)
Hyundai Sonata - 162/164 (2.4)

I don't think others are having issues getting torque out of their NA I4s. Just Honda/Acura.

Yeah, their problem is they have no horsepower. The Honda has like 40 or more horsepower from the same displacement, and close to the same amount of torque.

Honda Meet Torque

Torque Meet Honda

Man Honda Tuners will be reaching close to 1025whp with the amazing new engine!!!!

Anymways, That euro accord/TSX looks nice

first, i'm not sure what the fact that Porsche once made an abnormally large 4-cyl has to do with anything. "small" was used in a relative sense (as it always is); typical 4-cyl engines (such as your examples) are "small" compared to most engines with more cylinders.

so "their small 4-cyls" meant exactly that; those engines are "small" compared to many other engines.:confused:

dbzeag said:
What do you mean by "small"?

I mean Porsche 944 S4 with a 3.0L I4 isn't exactly small.

Some stats I picked up:

1990 Nissan NX2000 - 140hp/130 lb-ft (2.0) = 65ft-lbs/L
1990 Porsche 944 S4 - 208/206 (3.0) = 68.67 ft-lb/L
Honda Civic Si - 197/139 (2.0) = 69.5 ft-lb/L
Honda Accord - 166/160 (2.4) = 66.67 ft-lbs/L
Toyota Camry - 154/160 (2.4) = 66.67 ft-lbs/L
Dodge Caliber - 172/165 (2.4) = 68.75 ft-lbs/L
Subaru Impreza - 173/166 (2.5) = 66.4 ft-lbs/L
Mazda6 - 160/155 (2.3) = 67.39 ft-lbs/L
Ford Fusion - 160/150 (2.3) = 65.2 ft-lbs/L
Chrysler Sebring - 150/160 (2.4) = 66.67 ft-lbs/L
Mini Cooper - 115/111 (1.6) = 69.38 ft-lbs/L
Hyundai Sonata - 162/164 (2.4) = 68.33 ft-lbs/L

I don't think others are having issues getting torque out of their NA I4s. Just Honda/Acura.

so when the size differences are eliminated, it looks to me like the Honda (along w/ MINI) is actually doing the best job of making torque. i highlighted the two best and two worst performers.

Honda/Acura don't have any problem making torque; their engines make just as much, or more, torque for their size as anyone else's N/A 4-cyl.

if other companies could wring as much torque out of a given volume of displacement as honda does, they'd make more torque than they currently do.

the only differences are: 1) H/A tend to make more power than other comparably-sized engines; and 2) H/A's engines tend to be smaller than competitors' engines. the reality is that there's really no difference in torque production; unlike power, it's a function of displacement.

one offshoot of H/A's use of high-end breathing to make extra power is that H/A products are usually geared lower than others; through the magic of gearboxes, H/A products typically put more torque to the wheels (i.e., where it counts) than others with higher flywheel numbers.

it's easy to grab paper specs and put them up as if they prove something; it's another to understand the real-world implications.

it sounds to me like H/A could solve their internet-forum "no torque" image by cutting down the power levels of their engines. then no one would complain that they "have no torque" b/c they would perform just like everyone else's 4-cyl engines.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a 944 S4 (you are confusing it with the 928 S4). The 944 S2 (1989 - 1991) and 968 (1991 - 1995) both came with 3.0 n/a 16v inline 4 cylinder engines. The S2 made a decent 208 hp 210 tq and is quite fun to scoot around in (I own one). The 968 also had a 3.0 engine but added variocam (valve timing) bumping power up to 240hp and 220tq. Don't forget the multitude of normal early 944s (1983 - 1987) 2.5 liter 8v making 150hp and 150tq, the one year raised compression 944 making 160hp (1988), the one year only 944 2.7 liter making 170hp (1989) or the 944S which was a 2.5 block with 16v head which also made 170hp (1987). That aside the engines on these are complicated and quite rudimentary. But they were built by Porsche and all came with forged internals and 50/50 weight distribution and can squirt around tracks pretty well.

Back