For Mazda 3: How to replace the HID Bulb by myself?

yyz

:
mazda 3 sport 2.3 06 RED
For Mazda 3: How to replace the HID Bulb by myself? second question

i bought the PIAA H7 bulbs few days ago. i think just plug and play, but i find out kind of hard to replace them, does anybody know how to do it step by step...if u guys have some photos for me to follow then it will be great. thanks.

but how to take out the retention clip? do i have to un screw the 2 screws then take out the blub?

Last edited:
It's actually very easy to remove the bulb. detach the harness to the bulb, remove the rubber boot, unclip the retention clip, carefully remove the bulb.

to install any bulb can be challenging. just take your time with the retention clip as its more a little more difficult to latch it on the passenger side because of the confined space. It can take 10secs to +30 minutes, depending on the design of the bulb's harness end. If it looks exactly like the stock bulb's, then it shouldn't take long.

HID conversion kit bulbs are similar, but not completely identical to the stock ones, so the retention clip can get really annoying to latch.

once the clip's on, plug the harness back onto the bulb and do a test fire (turn on your head lights) for a few secs and look to see if it lights. if it works, then turn the lights off, unplug the harness, put back the boot and re-plug the harness. then start work on the other side. do the same test fire sequence, then finish up.

as a safety precaution, should disconnect the negative battery cable while you're working, then put it back on after you have finished your install.

EDIT: Your 2.0 has HIDs? i thought hey were only for 2.3Ls?

those are the right instructions. It sounds like he is installing an aftermarket HID set. You should have received instructions from the seller but otherwise those are good instructions and if you do a search there is a few people who have done it including myself. Feel free to PM me with questions if you need.

my prolumen didn't come with instructions but i was able to connect everything in less than 30 secs. What took +2hrs was the retention clip and hiding the ballasts and the igniters. i hid them behind the fender.

after a hot summer, the ballasts and igniters went further down, completely hidden.
i2ufkn.jpg
i2ufph.jpg

i3f891.jpg

nice! that was exactly my experience as well.
the actual installation is a piece of cake but it is the retention cli
ups that are a real b****. I actually broke one and i had to just rig it up and use the rubber to help secure the bulb.

i just re-installed my HIDs and the retention clips too less than a minute. what the hell. I guess working while the sun was still up DOES help. That left me to work on another mod :)

Back