MAP sensor

green dart

:
1971 dodge dart
Can anyone tell me if a 2002 protege es has a map sensor and where it is located. and also if a 2003 MSP has a map sensor. From what i understand a car either have a MAF or a MAP sensor, but from what i read our cars have both? I am asking cause i put a turbo on my brothers protege es and have a 2003 mazdaspeed ECU. I am getting hesitaion at boost and have suspected it to be the MAP sensor. If this car has a map where can i find it and how do i test it to make sure its working properly?

The protege use a MAF system. There are many threads on relocating the MAF to help make the car run better. It is the black box located on the intake.
Paul

green dart said:
Can anyone tell me if a 2002 protege es has a map sensor and where it is located. and also if a 2003 MSP has a map sensor. From what i understand a car either have a MAF or a MAP sensor, but from what i read our cars have both?

Our cars have a MAF sensor, and we also have a barometric pressure sensor (which is in the passenger corner of the engine bay near the firewall).

I am asking cause i put a turbo on my brothers protege es and have a 2003 mazdaspeed ECU. I am getting hesitaion at boost and have suspected it to be the MAP sensor.

I'm almost certain that is has nothing to do with the barometric pressure sensor. In all my years of tuning proteges, I've yet to see that sensor have a significant impact on the tune of the car.

What kind of turbo system is on your brother's car? Chances are that the way the turbo setup he has runs vs the way the MSP ECU is tuned is just getting you a bad tune,.

Even though this is a remote turbo setup i feel it has nothing to do with the hesitation. I think there is either a vacuum leak or a sensor malfunctioning. Ill just have to keep searching . Thanks for the replies

By the way what is the purpose of a barometric pressure sensor, I know that MAP sensors use vacuum pressure to determine load put on the engine. Does this work in a similar way. THanks

Back