Reliability research -- seeking more Mazda3s

P5w3kids

:
2003 P5
Reliability research -- seeking more Mazda3s; also fuel economy

The reliability information provided by CR and JD Power is not nearly as helpful as it could be. So in 2005 I started collecting my own reliability data at TrueDelta.com. Thanks to the help of this forum and its members, we've been providing absolute repair rates--not just dots--for the Mazda3 for some time now. We've been updatiing results four times a year, to closely track cars as they age.

Current number of owners signed up to participate for the Mazda3:
2004 - 63
2005 - 86
2006 - 111
2007 - 138
2008 - 117
2009 - 75
2010 - 40

Mazda3 owner participation has been excellent, but more remain needed.

Participants report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members will enjoy free access to all of the results posted on my site. My feeling is that people who want this information should do their part to make it possible.

You can find more info and sign up here:

Vehicle reliability research

This forum has been helping out by running my site's banner in the regular rotation. Thanks, Antoine.

Last edited:
Wanted to point out there is no option for Mazdaspeed vehicles in the list when enrolling in the panel. I would like to start reporting on the Mazdaspeed3 I just bought. I am filling in info for my RX-8. Thanks

You'll later be asked a few more questions about the car, including whether the engine is turbocharged. I'll know that all Mazda3s with turbos are really MS3s. I keep the number of models as low as possible to make the database easier to maintain.

I don't ask about mods at this point, but likely will in the future. I won't be asking for specifics, just whether a car falls within specific guidelines. Those that don't won't be included in the analysis for powertrain and/or suspension reliability, but will be included for the rest of the car. To get overall reliability I'll be adding powertrain reliability + suspension reliability + rest of car reliability.

In your list, the only thing that would fall outside the guidelines are the suspension mods, as your car clearly cannot be used to gauge how long the stock struts/shocks/bushings/etc. hold up.

Last edited:
Do you want the cost of maintaining the vehicle (ie. oil changes), or just other things that have gone wrong?

EDIT: Joined btw.

Only repairs beyond routine maintenance. I want to keep the amount of effort low so as many people as possible will participate, and oil changes are far more frequent than repairs.

Always looking for more Mazda3s, especially 2004s and 2007s. Currently 34 2007s are enrolled.

In comparison, 80 2007 Nissan Versas are enrolled. At that level I'll be able to provide more accurate results.

Details:

Last edited:
Latest results posted today. Results for 2004 and 2007 are asterisked because too few owners responded, but results for 2005 and 2006 are "official."

For all four model years, the Mazda3 averages 0.3 or 0.4 successful repair trips per year. Very consistent. This is a low repair rate.

Those of you who helped make these results possible, thanks. If you're not currently helping out, please consider joining the panel. The more responses there are, the more accurate the results will be.

Current results:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Next results in August.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The latest results were recently posted, and discussed in a separate thread here. Next set next month.

More participants will help make future results more precise. For the details, and to sign up to help out:

When you first respond to the survey, you'll be asked to respond to a second survey on bodystyle and powertrain. For the MS3, be sure to indicate that the engine is turbocharged and a "special performance version." This is how I'll separate MS3s from regular Mazda3s, if this proves necessary.

For the 2008, 25 owners have signed up so far.

However, only 21 of these have responded to the survey, for a total of 35 months of data. I only show a result at all if there are at least 45 months of data, and asterisk this result unless there are at least 75 months of data.

At this point, there's virtually no chance of a result without an asterisk. I think most people simply took delivery too recently.

But there could well be an asterisked result. Just need at least 14 more months of data (and the more, the better).

A follow-up email with links to the survey goes out tomorrow. If you've already signed up, please respond to it. If you haven't yet signed up, please consider doing so.

Details and link to the enrollment form here:

Auto reliability research

There will be an asterisked result for the 2008 Mazda3 after all, along with updated results for 2004-2007. Thanks, guys.

I've updated the counts in the OP. As always, more pariticipants would enable us to provide better information, especially with the 2004 and 2008.

For the details, and to sign up to help:

Last edited:
Updated results in May, with a preview for participants in a couple of weeks.

I updated the counts in the OP. The 2007 is just three cars short of being the first Mazda to 100. Can also use more participants for the other years, especially the 2004.

Those results were posted. As I hinted, the Mazda3 continues to have a consistently low repair rate, for all years.

We've had great participation, but additional participants would still be very helpful, especially for the 2004, 2008, and 2008.5.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Back