Manual Transmission Fluid

cop1976

:
2002 Protege 5
Hello Everyone, I have searched this forum for an answer to this question, but I couldn't seem to find the answer to it. When I purchased my 2002 Protege 5 (5 speed), I remember being told from the dealership that the manual transmission fluid didn't need to be changed ever. I have never owned a vehicle with manual transmission until this one. I see some folks on the forum talking about changing the transmission fluid quite often. My question is, should I be changing my transmission fluid? I have put a lot of kilometres on my P5 (just under 150,000kms). Any advise? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I dunno where you would have heard that.
I think it's recommeded at about 30??
In any case, with 150km, yes, you need to change it!

Thanks for the info. Those bastards from the dealership gave me false info. They told me several times that I didn't have to worry about the manual transmission fluid. I never owned a manual until this car and figured they were telling me the truth. I'm going to get it changed ASAP! Thanks for the help.

It depends on the car. I believe some cars have transmission fluid that doesn't need to be changed, but this one does.

cop1976 said:
Thanks for the info. Those bastards from the dealership gave me false info. They told me several times that I didn't have to worry about the manual transmission fluid. I never owned a manual until this car and figured they were telling me the truth. I'm going to get it changed ASAP! Thanks for the help.

since it is a sealed system you might not have damaged anything, but they definitely steered you in the wrong direction. I think the owner's manual says 36,000 mile (~58,000km) change interval or something.

I'm at over 116,000km and I've changed mine twice already.

The FSM does not specify a transmission oil change interval. However, my Mazda dealer recommends a M/T oil change every 30,000 miles and that seems to be the generally accepted interval by most forum members.

You can generally go about twice as long between changes if you use a full synthetic and aren't racing/autox the car.

Back