Turn Signal Flasher

bbrich57

:
2004 Mazda3 HB
'Anyone with experience, or a manual, that knows where and how to access the turn signal flasher?
The "click" sound seems to come from behind the instrument cluster but I don't see any way to get there. I'm afraid that if I just start pulling on things that something will break.
I am hoping to replace these bulbs w/LED's so I need to install an appropriate flasher unit.
Any help would be appreciated.

So you just want to change the light that flashes (i.e.- the little green arrow on the instrument cluster), correct? If so then that is possible, however they are already LEDs.

First go to this walkthrough on reaching and disassembling the instrument cluster.

Second go to this walkthrough on changing the dash LEDs.

The picture below is the circuit board of the instrument cluster. The LEDs for the turn signals are the little white dots in the silver squares towards the top of the board.
30.jpg

Now just incase I've completely misunderstood what you meant, and you actually just want to change the bulb in the light housing (i.e.- the exterior turn signal) then all you do is purchase a LED bulb, remove the existing bulb, and install the LED bulb. In doing so you'll need to install a resistor so that the lights don't flash quickly. Some LED bulbs will come with resistors, and some won't, so just pay attention when you buy.

Nice write up, and thanks!! The second part of what you said is correct. All I REALLY wanna do is change the flasher relay itself. But I don't know where it's physically located and it's way too hot (and I'm too lazy) to go huntung for it.
I wanna replace the incandecant bulbs in the front and rear (tailight) exterior housings to LEDs. I want to avoid adding a ballast (i.e. the big low rated 3-6 ohm resister you spoke of) to each side and mount it somewhere where it won't overheat anything or burn anything else as it heats up.
Or, I have found a source that makes new universal flasher units that do all of this for you, simply and cleanly. All you have to do is determine which terminal configuration you need, order it and plug 'n' play!! Simple and no added components to deal with.
See what I mean?

So you said the second part was right....... so you want to replace the incandecent bulbs with LEDs, right?

How's this?

LEDDiagram1.jpg

Granted I know you said you didn't want to mount load equalizers anywhere, but many people at mazda3forums have used these, and they look great.

Check Here

Hmmm. 'Didn't know about that one. And I'm sorry 'bout takin' so long to reply. For some reason I am not being notified of new posts on this thread(???).
I was looking at this:
http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm
They also offer rear bulbs in many different styles/colors.
What I don't know, and haven't found out, is does the 3 use a traditional style "plug-in" flasher as they show on these pages? If so, it eliminates the need for the ballast w/whatever bulb you are using, i.e. should you have to change back to a tungsten bulb temporarily. Seems like a much cleaner install, with more flexibility to me than using the resisters.

Just use the ballasts. We sell autolumination's stuff and we've installed tons of them. They work great, just need to find an out-of-the-way spot.

I think we put them under the hood, int he Maxda 3.

Myk said:
Just use the ballasts. We sell autolumination's stuff and we've installed tons of them. They work great, just need to find an out-of-the-way spot.
I think we put them under the hood, int he Maxda 3.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't really address my question.
Does anyone know where the turn signal flasher relay is?

'Anyone with experience, or a manual, that knows where and how to access the turn signal flasher?
The "click" sound seems to come from behind the instrument cluster but I don't see any way to get there. I'm afraid that if I just start pulling on things that something will break.
I am hoping to replace these bulbs w/LED's so I need to install an appropriate flasher unit.
Any help would be appreciated.

sorry to bear bad news, I took it hard as well.
the flasher is embedded in the PCB under the glovebox
you\ll have to do the resistor thing to run LED's
i used radioshacks those ceramic potted ones
PIA but they have been fine since install

Last edited:
... i used radio shacks those ceramic potted ones
PIA but they have been fine since install

Well, since someone did open up this thread I guess I will reply to it.
I ended up doing the same thing, only got mine from Fry's. They are much cheaper there. I made mounts out of some plumbers strap I had lying around and wrapped them in it leaving the tail as a screw location.

Holy Balls dude, I just noticed that you revived a FOUR year old thread, with a +1 bump that may be a record

I couldn't believe it either! I forgot I was the OP of this thread... back in '06. He's from Alabama. Cut him some slack. :D :D :D
I guess I'm not the only one that wanted to know, but I got my answer a few years ago now.

Last edited:
Back