CEL code P 2407

opus

:
2006 True Silver Mazda5 Touring 5M
Paging Benfolio and other techs. I am heading over to Jandree22 territory in PA on Monday next week and of course today all of a sudden the CEL comes on. My code reader says it is a P 2407 code. Should I be worried about it or can I just go on the trip and come back to the problem later. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Opus

DTC P2407 [L3]
Diagnostic procedure
DTC P2407 EVAP system leak detection pump sense circuit intermittent
DETECTION
CONDITION
The PCM monitors pump load current (EVAP line pressure), while evaporative leak monitor is operating.
When either of the following is detected 6 times or more successively, the PCM determines EVAP system
leak detection pump heater has a malfunction:
While obtaining the reference current value, the change in pump load current exceeds the specification.
After obtaining the reference current value, the pump load current is kept lower than the maximum pump
load current for more than the specified time.
Diagnostic support note
This is a intermittent monitor (CCM).
MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in
one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in the PCM.
PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition during the first drive
cycle.
FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
DTC is stored in PCM memory.
POSSIBLE
CAUSE
EVAP system leak detection pump heater malfunction
PCM malfunction

SparcEE

I believe I had the same issue...

SparcEE said:
DTC P2407 [L3]
Diagnostic procedure
DTC P2407 EVAP system leak detection pump sense circuit intermittent
DETECTION
CONDITION
The PCM monitors pump load current (EVAP line pressure), while evaporative leak monitor is operating.
When either of the following is detected 6 times or more successively, the PCM determines EVAP system
leak detection pump heater has a malfunction:
While obtaining the reference current value, the change in pump load current exceeds the specification.
After obtaining the reference current value, the pump load current is kept lower than the maximum pump
load current for more than the specified time.
Diagnostic support note
This is a intermittent monitor (CCM).
MIL illuminates if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition in two consecutive drive cycles or in
one drive cycle while the DTC for the same malfunction has been stored in the PCM.
PENDING CODE is available if the PCM detects the above malfunction condition during the first drive
cycle.
FREEZE FRAME DATA is available.
DTC is stored in PCM memory.
POSSIBLE
CAUSE
EVAP system leak detection pump heater malfunction
PCM malfunction

SparcEE

Did your check Engine light come on?

Not sure if it's the same issue I had, but, it could be the fuel cap or the EVAP Pump, which I believe is in the Emissions system. My dealer replaced my EVAP pump twice due to it being defective. This happened within a couple of months after we got out 5 back from the exhaust recall. It has been working fine ever since.

Oh and if it is the EVAP Pump then it should be OK to drive, unless the car is running funny, until they get the part in. We drove ours for a week after the dealer confirmed it was a malfunctiong pump. I guess the EVAP Pump's main job is to recycle unignited fuel back into the fuel system to prevent high emissions.

Last edited:
I think the EVAP's function to to control and keep the evaporative emissions under control. i.e. the gas in the tank.

It is the job of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator) to recirculate unburnt gas (or a measure of exhaust) back through the combustion process.

Does the 5 have a seperate light for a loose gas cap? I know Fords do.

Thanks for the information, SparcEE. Where in the daylights do you get that kind of feedback on the code, let me know the site if you would please. I'm going to chance it and take the trip, it just bugs me. I am always one of those people who check everything over before I hit the road and I know this will be sitting in the back of my mind the whole time(ughdance)

monsta said:
I think the EVAP's function to to control and keep the evaporative emissions under control. i.e. the gas in the tank.

It is the job of the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculator) to recirculate unburnt gas (or a measure of exhaust) back through the combustion process.

Does the 5 have a seperate light for a loose gas cap? I know Fords do.

OK, I'm probably not clear on some details.:) They did replace the EVAP pump on mine though.

Antonio, yes the check engine came on. It is probably either the gas cap or the EVAP pump, either way I am feeling better now knowing someone else has dealt with the issue.
Thanks,
Opus

opus said:
Antonio, yes the check engine came on. It is probably either the gas cap or the EVAP pump, either way I am feeling better now knowing someone else has dealt with the issue.
Thanks,
Opus

Yeah it wasn't a huge deal. Though having to look at the check engine light was annoying. :)

I had the same P2407 code with only 200 miles on my 2006. The first time it happened the tech just reset the computer hoping that it would magically fix itself. Of course it didn't and the CEL came back on a few days later with the same code. The dealer said that they talked to the Mazda tech line and they indicated that a reflash was in order. They did that and the problem has not re-occurred. I was happy that nothing needed to actually be replaced.

2003 Mazda 6 - Manual - Code P 2407

I live in NJ and I've got the P 2407 code coming up on my 2003 Mazda 6. I've tried having the code reset, which only gets me through one startup, and the code comes back upon the second startup of my engine every time. I have not been able to pass inspection, since the New Jersey DMV requires you to turn your engine off before you allow the technicians to begin their inspection. And every time (2 so far) the light comes on when they start my car back up. If I get pulled over with an expired October 2007 inspection sticker and the big red REJECTED label above it, the fine is going to be upwards of $300-400.....

Being that I am not savvy enough with cars, nor do I have the tools to replace the LDP myself (as I understand you must remove the rear suspension to get to it), I have given in to the fact that I have to bring it in to a shop for some professional help.

Can anyone help me out by telling me how many men and hours of labor this should take to fix? Any insight would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Back