Need Computer Help

chaos2015

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
i tried to put in a ram card in my comp today. i put everything in and then turned it on, it then started to smell like something was burning so i turned it back off. after that when i tried to turn it on it would come on for a couple of seconds and then cut back off and then try to turn back on and it would just keep doing that. i thought i just burned up the ram card so i went to get another one. i put the new one in and then the computer would stay on but would not boot up. is my comp fried, and i need a new one?

Pull all the devices from the board (ie. modem) and then pull all the memory off. When you try to turn it on the motherboard should beep at you saying it doesn't have memory. If that doesn't happen then you may have a serious problem....let me know how that turns out.

chaos2015 said:
one loud beep for about 2 sec, a pause, then another loud beep

Do you know what BIOS you have on that PC?

When you find that out use this website to figure out what the beeps mean:
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

If it says No ram then you know your motherboard is ok. Put your old ram back in and Then try resetting you CMOS (Remove that little battery on the motherboard for about 1 minute)

Last edited:
i did the exact same thing today... lol but my job is with computers so i troubleshooted... mine was making a pretty nasty smell as well mine was just my memory chip was not plugged in fully... they are buggers check that out

Mutmatt said:
i did the exact same thing today... lol but my job is with computers so i troubleshooted... mine was making a pretty nasty smell as well mine was just my memory chip was not plugged in fully... they are buggers check that out
what did you do to fix that? did you just have to fully plug the chip in

yes i just pulled it out and stuck it back in... push on both ends the little clips should pop up and almost completely into place

Mutmatt said:
yes i just pulled it out and stuck it back in... push on both ends the little clips should pop up and almost completely into place
yea that didn't work for me

burnt smells are never good ...

i say reseat (uninstall and reinstall) the RAM.

also, clear the CMOS. to do that, take out the little battery, and let it sit out for about 10 minutes. then, snap it back in.

gen1pro said:
Do you know what BIOS you have on that PC?

When you find that out use this website to figure out what the beeps mean:
http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm

If it says No ram then you know your motherboard is ok. Put your old ram back in and Then try resetting you CMOS (Remove that little battery on the motherboard for about 1 minute)
what little battery are you talking about??

ok so i pheonix BIOS. and when i pull the memory the comp has a steady beep for 2 sec, pause for 4 sec, then beep for 2 sec and it just keeps doing that

ok so i pulled the little battery out and left it out for about 10 mins and then put it back in, then i tried to start it and it just came on and then just shut right back off

instantly? or after booting... mine is doing that with my 200 gig seagate and i can't figure out why... pin 1 is in the right place i just don't know captain

chaos2015 said:
yup instantly. i think i'm screwed

Maybe your power supply is just acting up. Go buy one from somewhere (make sure you can return it) and test it out if it doesn't work then return it. If it does then problem solved.

gen1pro said:
Maybe your power supply is just acting up. Go buy one from somewhere (make sure you can return it) and test it out if it doesn't work then return it. If it does then problem solved.
i dont think its the power supply bc before when i put the new ram in, it would stay on but it just wouldn't boot up

so it wont start up with the old ram put back in it either? if you have tried a know good ram stick then i would say you fried the mobo or the cpu is dead

Last edited:
Back