hard cold start

bazooka joe

No words
Contributor
:
92 & 16 Meyatas
over the last several months the car has become increasingly harder to start. once it truns over it runs fine, no misfires, no cel codes, boosts fine up to 5psi somewhat rich...10-11ish. when the engine is hot it will start like normal...
before i go tearing into the diagnosis i figured i'd post here first and get your "expert" advice:
> plugs are bkr6e-11's (about 17K miles, haven't pulled them yet)
> original coil packs/wires
> Normal AF ratio 14-15
thanks, mark.

Last edited:
My Hiboosted P5 with Haltech F10 has always taken 3-4 cranks but always started. Always sounded as if there wasn't enough amps to crank the starter fast enough. I put a new battery in a year ago and it struggled just the same. I wanted an Optima but didn't have enough cash at the time. That battery just went dead a couple weeks ago and now I have an Optima Red top with like 900 cranking amps. One shot and it starts right up.

I have my PLX wideband controller my Haltech, my J&S pulling amps while cranking and thats alot of draw straight from the battery!

Just a thought maybe if you just recently added some new gadgets.

shane02pro5 said:
My Hiboosted P5 with Haltech F10 has always taken 3-4 cranks but always started. Always sounded as if there wasn't enough amps to crank the starter fast enough. I put a new battery in a year ago and it struggled just the same. I wanted an Optima but didn't have enough cash at the time. That battery just went dead a couple weeks ago and now I have an Optima Red top with like 900 cranking amps. One shot and it starts right up.

I have my PLX wideband controller my Haltech, my J&S pulling amps while cranking and thats alot of draw straight from the battery!

Just a thought maybe if you just recently added some new gadgets.

i didn't post it but i have a 2yr old optima....goodies...? not really...i shut everything off when i start the car anyway....i believe i have plenty of amps to get it going....thing is when the engine is warm it starts after a couple 3 cranks...cold i'd say it takes closer to 10.....i'm thinking it's spark or fuel....adj. regulator is at 42 psi....car runs real clean once it gets going no mis steps all the way to redline/fuel cut (in a few instances!!)....?????(dunno)

I know with the Haltechs set up from Juan some guys would have Cold start issues in different climates so I think its the Coldstart Enrichment needed tweeking.

There's no cold start enrichment on the MPI, the stock ECU is controlling all that. I would check into you battery and make sure she's charged up all the way and is good and strong. If you have a battery charger, put that on and leave it on all night, then try to start the car in the morning while it's still on. If you still have the hesitation, then it's not the battery and it's time to go further with the troubleshooting.

As long as you have the analog out V around 2-2.08v, then the MPI is doing nothing to the ECU....it's stock at that point.

Have you messed with your Air intake sensor or Coolant temperature sensor? Anything wrong with those will cause some startup issues.

okay tim, i'll put the charger on tonight....and check the anolog out voltage too..
dddog777, no i haven't messed with either...?
idgrasil, what i mean is over the last 6 months it's gone from 3-5 cranks to now 10+ (5-6 seconds?)
after installing the mpi, it was always a few cranks more than stock...stock 1-2 cranks...ignition!

98b/w pro said:
It sounds like low compression to me.
Like the valves arent sealing 100% when cold.
and they are when its warmed up.
You guys seem to be missing the fact that warm it starts right up.

it's funny because the other morning she started right up? weird?

Back