Timing Belt Change...

PowrSlave

:
Protege5
The service manual mentions using an engine support brace for when you remove the engine mount. Has anyone tried using a jack under the engine to support the engine during this step?

Anything else to look out for when doing a timing belt change on a protege5? I am trying to save money by doing it myself. I will probably change the waterpump since the car has 105,000 miles. Should I replace the cylinder head cover gasket or anything like that or is pretty much everything reuseable? I have heard some people on this forum claim that they did the timing belt in about an hour, so I imagine there isn't much that needs to be removed.

Regards,
Zach

yea you could use a jack w/ a 2by4 under the oil pan to hold it up and if it has that many miles i would def change the valve cover gasket 2.you might think about replacing the tensioner also.

Yeah I sorta figured. I just wanted to be sure since I am sorta a poor dirtbag right now. Better safe than sorry. I plan on doing the water pump as well.

Anyone else have any input on what else I should change during the process? I would like to avoid changing any seals if possible (I pray there aren't any leaks)

Back