Belt squeal!?!

:
03.5 YLW MSP
I am getting this werid noise when I start my car up when cold after it has set for awhile. It makes the noise the most when the A/C is on. It sounds like a loose belt but its not... I have replaced both belts with gatorback belts and I still have the squealing noise.

The noise is constant when the a/c is on and no where near as loud with the a/c off. This squealing is constant tell the car warms up then I dont hear it again tell the car is cold. Also when I blip the throttle on the car I get a slight sqeak out of the car (same noise not as loud and only for a secound)... The only thing I can come to is that a pully is going or my a/c compressor is going. However my a/c will free your balls off if you let it. Anyone have any ideas?

hoindawall said:
did you sand the pulley and belts when you put the new ones in?
No I didn't sand the pullies nor the belt. Ive never had to do this on any car unless thier was a ton of rust on the pullyies which thier wasn't any that I ntoiced. But I will double check to see if thier is any rust on the pullies when I get off of work and the car has time to cool down.

Check tensions. Both belts. My a/c caused my belts to squeal -but it was the OTHER belt that was way loose. Properly torqued both belts - no problem. Sneak up on it - don't way ovetorque the belts the first time - too tight reduces bearing life. :(

Goal is just tight enough to not squeal under any conditions.

With the a/c 'on' CAREFULLY listen with a long socket extension to your ear and touch each component (compressor first) and you will clearly hear which bearing is going bad.

P-Funk! said:
Check tensions. Both belts. My a/c caused my belts to squeal -but it was the OTHER belt that was way loose. Properly torqued both belts - no problem. Sneak up on it - don't way ovetorque the belts the first time - too tight reduces bearing life. :(

Goal is just tight enough to not squeal under any conditions.

With the a/c 'on' CAREFULLY listen with a long socket extension to your ear and touch each component (compressor first) and you will clearly hear which bearing is going bad.

Well I thougth both belts were tight enough but I guess I was wroung.. I tightened up the alt and water pump belt some more. So far that seems to have gotten ride of the throttle bliping sqealing/bird chirping noise but then again the true test is when the engine is cold. Ill update later on when I go back to work tonight and let you guys know how its goign so far.

Thank for you guys!

Well I went to move my car upto the 2nd story of the parkign garage today and so far no mroe belt noises! Thanks guys I'll update again when I get home from work.

I couldnt do the extension test p-funk because I dont have a 3 ft extension to test each item out. I didn't hear anything that sounded out of the normal from the a/c... so thats good but then again im not 100% sure what im supposed to listen to, plus the sounds of the engien fans kickign on and off doesn't help.

The 'listen test' was if the belts were tight and it might be a bad bearing. It would help you isolate which bearing (alt, water pump, etc. ) was going bad.

Sounds like you b ok now...

P-Funk! said:
The 'listen test' was if the belts were tight and it might be a bad bearing. It would help you isolate which bearing (alt, water pump, etc. ) was going bad.

Sounds like you b ok now...

so far still no belt sqeal issueses!

hoindawall said:
thats what we learned in class. you wanna sand the pulley to clean it and theres some sort of glaze on the belt that you want to get rid of.

What class was this?

Hey, I have an interesting problem. I just had my UR UDP installed on Friday with Goodyear Gatorback belts (4050457 for the AC/PS and the 4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp) and everything was good over the weekend but I started up my car this morning and got a lot of squealing. Now, I figured the belts just stretched out a little bit (it was 95 degrees here) and that they just needed tightening. Well I was taking my car in to get inspected already so I went ahead and asked them to tighten the belts as well. Well here's the kicker - I just got called and the guy inspecting my car said my belts were squealing because the belts were worn. Okay, at this point I was like "wtf" because the belts are little over a week old so I don't know how they could be worn. I'm just curious if anyone else has has this "premature" belt wear and what might have caused this? Can someone verify that I got the right belts as well? Thanks.

Sorry for the threadjack. I figured your problem was fixed and since it was similar to my problem it seemed better to post in this already existing thread rather than make a new one.

magnumP5 said:
Hey, I have an interesting problem. I just had my UR UDP installed on Friday with Goodyear Gatorback belts (4050457 for the AC/PS and the 4040360 for the Alt/WtrPmp) and everything was good over the weekend but I started up my car this morning and got a lot of squealing. Now, I figured the belts just stretched out a little bit (it was 95 degrees here) and that they just needed tightening. Well I was taking my car in to get inspected already so I went ahead and asked them to tighten the belts as well. Well here's the kicker - I just got called and the guy inspecting my car said my belts were squealing because the belts were worn. Okay, at this point I was like "wtf" because the belts are little over a week old so I don't know how they could be worn. I'm just curious if anyone else has has this "premature" belt wear and what might have caused this? Can someone verify that I got the right belts as well? Thanks.

Sorry for the threadjack. I figured your problem was fixed and since it was similar to my problem it seemed better to post in this already existing thread rather than make a new one.

if you just replaced both belts then i would think common sence would be that their not worn. If your belts squealed like mine did ungodly loud when the car was cold and a/c on untell it was warmed up. Then more then likely just tighten up the belts a little bit more but you can always look at the belts yourself and find out if they are worn.

StealthWyvern said:
if you just replaced both belts then i would think common sence would be that their not worn. If your belts squealed like mine did ungodly loud when the car was cold and a/c on untell it was warmed up. Then more then likely just tighten up the belts a little bit more but you can always look at the belts yourself and find out if they are worn.
Yeah that's the weird part - I checked them last night after i got my car back and they were worn - quite a bit! I'm kind of surprised because I got it professionall installed. The person who did the inspection confirmed the belts were tight enough and the installer verfied that the belts were brand new and there was nothing wrong with them. I'm just curious what would have caused that.

magnumP5 said:
Yeah that's the weird part - I checked them last night after i got my car back and they were worn - quite a bit! I'm kind of surprised because I got it professionall installed. The person who did the inspection confirmed the belts were tight enough and the installer verfied that the belts were brand new and there was nothing wrong with them. I'm just curious what would have caused that.

UDPs and belts arent that hard to install, you could have done it yourself and saved quite a bit of money and gas. Remove the belts and check for irregularities on the surface of your UDP.

gone_fishin said:
lol UDPs and belts arent that hard to install, you could have done it yourself and saved quite a bit of money and gas
I work everyday during the week from 6 - 3:30 and I usually take my work home with me. I don't really have much time to work on my car and I figured if I got it professionally installed the belts wouldn't squeal (they also did some other work to my car which I couldn't do myself so I also figured why not just have them help me out). So does anyone here know what might be causing this wear?

falsedawn said:
I'm sorry but the last time I checked this was a legitimate question. Seriously, why don't you go build your postcount up somewhere else. I understand you were probably joking but this is an aggrivating issue for me so I would appreciate it if people would not post unless they can help out. I'll try to take a picture tomorrow to try to better explain what I'm getting at.

Back