STX Build Thread

122 Vega

Retired MSP Racer!
:
03 Mazdaspeed Protege #1668,2005 Mini Cooper S, 75 Cosworth Vega
stxy1.jpg

I figured it was time to start an STX thread because the MSP can be very competitive in STX, and will prove it at Nationals next year!​

AWR%20MSP%203.jpg

MSP2.jpg

AWR%20MSP%201.jpg

AWR%20MSP%202.jpg

The final product!

For a look at the rules, visit the SCCA website.​

The disadvantages:​

Weight. The MSP weighs a lot, but if you look at the other top cars in the class they all weigh 2500-3300lbs.​

Power. Obviously the MSP doesn't take to mods very well. Most of the aforementioned cars are runnung 200-260whp.​

Limited by rules of course, no boost alteration other than incidental (boost creep), no stand alones, and no FMICs.​

So my car #1668 will no become a study in pushing the limits of the rules and seeing where it gets us.​

I said I wouldn't do it, but I got curious, so here's a nearly complete list so far:

Coilovers with Bilstein Inserts $2192 (AWR)
Endlinks F&R $ 140 (AWR)
F&R MM $ 130 (AWR)
SS Brakelines $ 89 (Corksport)
S&J Pipe $ 249 (Corksport)
Exhaust $ 200 (used) (Corksport)
GT Spec FSB $ 138 (Corksport)
Indigo Pulleys $ 227 (Corksport)
Sparco Evo Seats $1298 (Speedware Motorsports)
Aluminum Side Mounts $ 200 (Speedware Motorsports)
Gatorback Belts $ 36 (AutoZone)
ARP Wheel Studs $ 64 (Baxter Auto Local)
Dyno Time $ 160 (TorqueFreaks, Unnatural Performance)
Stickers $ 150 (izoomgraphics, Mazda Motorsports)
Work Lugnuts $ 80 (Private Party)
Oddessy PC-480 $ 80 (Local)
Autometer 2 Gauge pillar $ 190 (Baxter Auto, w/ Ultralite OP and Boost)
Autometer Ultralite WT $ 40 (Summit</ST1:p)
Autometer Ultralite WB O2 $ 379 (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:pSummit</ST1:p</st1:City>)
Rota Slipstreams w/ Falken Tires $ 550 (private party)
Nology Plug Wires $ 210 (Crossover Auto)
Seat Brackets $ 215 (Wedge Engineering)
F&R Bobcat Pads $ 198 (Carbotech Engineering)
UDP Pulley $ 100 (RR-Racing)
SS AFC2 $ 395 (Airflow Logistics)
Schroth Rallye 4 Harnesses (pr) $ 289 (SoloRacer)
MSP Short Shifter $ 150 (TWM Performance)
Air Diverter Plate (for stickers) $ 60 (ApexR1)
Rear Swaybar Brackets $ 150 (AutoX Racing)
Vibrant Cat $ 100 (Baxter Auto Local)

TOTAL: $8459

(first)

Britt​

Last edited:
1. AWR Motor Mounts $130 - Protege Garage GB

2. SS AFC - Rules do not allow direct control over timing or injectors. THey aonly allow devices that manipulate signals going to the OEM PCM. THis is why I chose the SS. I will e switching to V2 so I can datalog from my AEM WB. $285 V1 @$375 V2 Airflow Logistics

3. K&N Panel Filter. I had an Injen Intake which sounded great and may have added power, but I understood that the SEB had decided that you could not remove/move/alter overflow bottles, so that made the Injen illegal. Looking back through all the Fast Tracks, I cannot find Mention of this. However, I like the K&N, and will show you my future intake mod.
$35 +

4. Spark Plugs. I'm using NGK 6097s like everyone else, not because of upped boost, but as caution against detonation caused by hot spots from back to back high rpm runs. $12

5. Nology Plug Wires. Cosmetic? Maybe. But they will look a lot better than the factory "direct" ignition. $180 not purchased yet - Crossover Auto?

Last edited:
6. AWR Endlinks - Obviously the factory endlinks suck, the AWR parts are solid with rod ends and adjaustable. $140 - Corksport

7. AXR Racing Rear "Anti-Clunk" Sway Bar Brackets. Amazing improvement in the balance of the chassis. $135 - AXR Racing GB
DSC00003.JPG

8. RR-Racing UDP with Gatorback Belts. Every pound helps when limited by rules. $90 - RR-racing GB
DSC00008.JPG

9. SS Brake Lines. Helps limit expansion in the hydraulic system. $85 - Corksport
DSC00011.JPG

10. Alloy Lugnuts. Reduction in unsprung weight (by oz maybe) - $80 - Private Party

11. Extended Wheel Lugs - ARP 100-7708 (Camaro) $63 - Local Parts Store
DSC00009.JPG

12. Carbotech Bobcat Brake Pads F&R - $198 - Carbotech
DSC00012.JPG

Last edited:
13. Sparco EvO Seats - Rules limit seats to being greater than 15lbs without mounting hardware. These are 15.9-16.0lbs, and the aluminum side mounts weigh little. There is not much room for weight reduction in this class, but the factory seats weigh 34lbs each. $1498 with Brackets - Speedware Motorsports, Renton Washington

14. Schroth Rallye4 DOT Harnesses. No arguements about rollovers and roll bars and all that BS. These keep you in place for autocross and that is the purpose. $294 - Soloracer.com Silver is a new color!

DSC00063.JPG

DSC00060.JPG

15. CS Downpipe - $249

16. CS 2.4" Exhaust with Vibrant Cat - $349

Last edited:
18. Rota Slipstream Wheels 16"x8" 45mm.

DSC01307.JPG

19. Falken FK-451 245/45/16 shaved to 3/32nds - at this depth they are the same compound as the Azenis and cheaper too. I will be switching to Hankooks when these run out. Man it's a lot of tire under this car.

20. Oddessy light battery - factory location, My Optima weighs 33 lbs, the Oddessy weighs 11. Cables to the rear would just add more weight. -

21. 12.9" front brake rotors (secret source until I make sure they fit) with factory calipers. Provides more swept area without adding unsprung weight due to the aluminum hats. - $TBD

22. AWR Coilovers. They are being custom valved and sprung by Tony right now and the car will be corner weighted as soon as they are on. $2142 - AWR Racing (photos courtesy AWR)
frtProAssyLG.jpg

rrProAssyLG.jpg

Last edited:
23. AWR Lateral arms. This is a point of confusion on these boards. The commonly referred to "lateral bars" are actually trailink links that are located at the lateral portions of the suspension, The SCCA is referring to arms that control "lateral movement of the suspension' and allow a certain amount of camber adjustment.

24. Indigo Pulleys WP, Alt $239 - Corksport

25. A/C removal? Haven't decided yet, but I don't run the belt anyways so...

26. GTSpec Front Strut Bar $135 - Corksport

Last edited:
No alterations to the intake track beyond the turbo.

Yeah nice dude, this is a limited build for those of us who have to play under rules, not go out and pretend we're Paul Walker with the big bottles to go fast. If you don't know what STX is, go click somewhere else. Even Smokey Yunick had to "abide" by rules. Don't you have a Bayou to clean up?

122 Vega said:
Yeah nice dude, this is a limited build for those of us who have to play under rules, not go out and pretend we're Paul Walker with the big bottles to go fast. If you don't know what STX is, go click somewhere else. Even Smokey Yunick had to "abide" by rules. Don't you have a Bayou to clean up?
nope, no bayou, katrina flooded it, now its a lake..

Children, children, play nice.

I'm kinda excited to see how the STX build goes. Is there any1 else runny an STX MPS? I haven't seen one. Anyway, maybe you could compare notes w/ them to see what they've done.

Last edited:
Looking forward to this Vega. Does the ABS have to remain active or are you planning on pulling the fuse? I'm hoping the Carbotechs front and rear don't give you too much rear bias. Something else you need to do...drill the s*** out of some brake rotors. You can save like 3lbs per wheel like that.

goona whoop up on ya in STX at Nationals in our STX Integra Type R... ;)

This is interesting to watch. I would have gone wheels/tires first before any engine mods., YMMV.

cemborava.jpg

And technically, you *are* allowed a stand-alone, so long as it fits w/in the stock enclosure

THis is not true, STX does not build off of SP rules. There are six outlined options for engine management, standalones are not one of them. You may not alter ignition timing or directly drive the injectors. It is clear in the rules. ITA racing allows your "within the case" clause but not STX.

This is part of the reason for this thread, STX rules clarification. This is not a how to cheat thread. Could I take an AEM circuit board and place it within the factory PCM case, yes, but then what is the point of having rules?

Britt

For EMS we are running Hondata OBD1 chip in a stock housing for a OBDII car... 180WHP...

In my STS Sentra SE-R I have a daughterboard that does everything you said cannot be done. It alters ignition timing and duty cycle all of which is legal as long as it is in stock housing.

ST does build upon SP rules and IT rules. You have to choose which path to take for your car. You can either build to SP specs or IT specs.

Last edited:
BigB said:
goona whoop up on ya in STX at Nationals in our STX Integra Type R... ;)

This is interesting to watch. I would have gone wheels/tires first before any engine mods., YMMV.

cemborava.jpg

Oh, trust me, I'm far from done, you guys just post too fast, like Like Type R fast!

I look forward to it too,remember when SCC claimed that the MSP was the "new king of the hill" and that it "had dethroned the Type R?"

Britt

*grabs rulebook*
Unless I totally mis-read, there are a few miatas running Megasquirt w/in the stock housing in STS2

E. The engine management system parameters and operation may be modified only via the methods listed below. Any and all modifications must meet or exceed the applicable US DOT emissions standards for the year, make, and model of the car. These allowances also apply to forced induction cars, except that no changes to standard boost levels, intercoolers, or boost controls are permitted. Boost changes indirectly resulting from allowed modifications are permissible, but directly altering or modifying the boost or turbo controls, either mechanically or electronically, is strictly prohibited.
1. Reprogrammed ECU may be used in the standard housing. Traction control parameters may not be altered. Altered engine controllers may not alter boost levels in forced induction engines.
2. Electronic components may be installed in-line between an engines sensors and ECU. These components may alter the signal coming from the sensor in order to affect the ECUs operation of engine management system. Example: fuel controllers that modify the signal coming from an airflow
sensor.
3. Fuel pressure regulators may be replaced in lieu of electronic alterations to the fuel system. It is not permitted to electronically modify the fuel system AND replace a fuel pressure
regulator.
4. Ignition timing may be set at any point on factory adjustable distributor ignition systems.
5. VTEC controllers and other devices may be used which alter the timing of factory standard electronic variable valve timing systems.
6. All STS vehicles must comply with the Federal 49-state safety and tailpipe emissions test requirements as a minimum.

Unless I'm totally misreading this..........all it says is reprogrammed ECU is standard housing.

EDIT: From what I've seen on the ST boards on Sccaforums, this is one of the biggest debates abt the ST rules, the fact that the rules seem to say that you can put just about whatever you want, so long as it fits in the housing and doesn't touch boost settings. I'm not trying to get anyone to cheat, please don't misconstrue what I said as that. I'm all about fair play :)

Last edited:
A reprogrammed ECU is not a replaced ECU. This allows for the Turbo XS flashes for WRXs and the Hondata chips etc, but we don't have any of that.

Back