Gauge cluster swap...

VT00DX

:
2000 Protege DX
I am new to this forum, and maybe i havent found the right post yet, but i am still unclear on this issue. I have a 2000 DX, and as most of you know, it didnt come with a tachometer in the gauge cluster. I want to know if i can easily swap the old cluster out for a new one with a tachometer. The new cluster is from an 2000 protege made in 07/99, and mine was made in 02/00. Would that be an easy switch???

good call on multiposting. All you have to do is run the wires to the sensors, or you may just get lucky and there is a plug hiding out behind your cluster for the tach.

1st of all. PLEASE oh please don't double post, unless you pressed the "post" button 3 times in a row by mistake.

As far as your question, sorry I don't have an answer for ya but Im sure if you'll do a search here on these forums, you'll find what you're looking for

I did the switch and everything works great! The only thing i have to do now is to get the mileage on the new cluster fixed. It reads 88,800, but my cars actual mileage is 58,600. Does anyone know how i can do this?

seems you can't.. my tach was replaced today and i got a total mileage of 8kilometers ^^
i called mazda motors germany and they said there was no way to transfer the data to the new tach because of "security reasons" (~tach manipulation)

Thats wierd. I have seen software advertised on the internet that would do it, but i dont want to drop $200 on a cluster that i paid $20 for! I need to find a solution!

You got a hell of a deal if you only paid 20 for the cluster (wow)

I paid around $150 and I had to go through buying 4 other clusters from a used parts place, finding out they were broken or the mileage was off, and then returning for another before I found one close to my mileage.

I haven't seen any software for it, how does it connect to the odometer?

Last edited:
I haven't heard of anything that can change the KM's either. You have to put up with the 'off' KM's on the new cluster, or buy a seperate tach. A 2 1/16th maybe...gives you reason to get a pillar or pod.

Back