How To Use Seafoam To Clean Your Engine

SeaFoam ftw...I did mine sunday before I installed my exhaust.

It feels like a brand new car.

look guys i have been working on cars my hole life. i have always put it in the gas tank with a full tank. then get some amsoil power foamer. you will have to hold the gas at about 4000 rpm. take the intake of and spray it in use half the can. save the rest. then change your oil and clean your spark plugs. this works great it will fell like a new car.

there is alot of reading, but a dam good write up guys. I just have a ? though.

Ok so its ok to run this stuff in a MSP cause i saw someone say it could mess up some valve in the booster line, and i could have been said but i didnt hear anyone say for sure that it was fine, im sure it i just want to be sure.

I have heard that too and from what I have been told you can only add it through the pcv line when you have an MSP because the brake booster line has a check valve in it. at least if i remember correctly that is why, i do remember being specifically told to use the PCV line. I just put 14oz in the gas tank (1 oz per gallon) when i have about 100 miles before my oil change i am going to add to pcv line then add to my oil.

ya but i thought the PCV line only cleaned cylinders #1 and 4, and it just cleaned the bottom of the engine and not the whole engine.

ya but i thought the PCV line only cleaned cylinders #1 and 4, and it just cleaned the bottom of the engine and not the whole engine.

It leads to all cylinders, but you're right on the second part. It doesn't go up near the camshafts. Just into the cylinder and back out. I guess that means it would have passed by the valves...just not under the valve cover.

I think that is why they suggest putting it in the crankcase and the gas and in a vacuum source?

This is the second time sea foaming for me. This first time I used the pcv line and it didnt smoke that much. This time I used the brake booster and lordy, it smoked! My car seemed to smoke for a couple of days after that, which kind of worried me. But, car seems ok after a few days.
Have a look...
sea%20foam2.JPG
sea%20foam1.JPG

that sh1t is funny. I just did it again. Didn't do it right the first time. Over read the part where u supposed to let the car sit for five minutes. Well this time around I put 3/4 in the gas tank 1/4 in the crank case and half a second can in the vacuum. Hmm this time hardly any smoke. Guess the first time did the trick.

holy crap 12 pages!!!(deadhorse) I talked about this in the begining.
I'm A BMW tech and have adegree in automotive technology
Fact
pvc line ONLY sucks in the seafoam in the lower part of the intake manifold on 1 & 4. bad job.

brake booster hose is kinda a pain but not bad at all and it is conected to the "plenum". this way at least all cylinders will see the seafoam. good job.

There is a vacuum line "on MP3 and FP-DE manifolds atleast" just after the throttle body that will more evenly distribute, atomize, and clean. best way.

okay i have a '93 jeep cherokee country that's never had anything done to it to clean the internals of the engine. I'm about to go buy some seafoam and try it out because when idling, there's a clicking/rattling sound and it continues until about 2000 rpm. i'm hoping this will flush out all the junk that's been accumulating for the past 15 years. should i try it twice back-to-back just because there's so much build-up?

holy crap 12 pages!!!(deadhorse) I talked about this in the begining.
Fact
pvc line ONLY sucks in the seafoam in the lower part of the intake manifold on 1 & 4. bad job.

brake booster hose is kinda a pain but not bad at all and it is conected to the "plenum". this way at least all cylinders will see the seafoam. good job.

There is a vacuum line "on MP3 and FP-DE manifolds atleast" just after the throttle body that will more evenly distribute, atomize, and clean. best way.

any pics of this particular vac line?

holy crap 12 pages!!!) I talked about this in the begining.
Fact

Well no offense, but on the Protege, the PVC line goes to all cylinders. When i did my intake manifold swap, i confirmed this.

the whole point of doing the cleaning is to clean the whole system. if you go through the pcv you are skipping the manifod ports, vics, vtcs, plus it has to split between the two vaccum ports which has to split between the two runners in the manifold. where ever the vaccum is the strogest is where it gose. so if one of the ports is verry dirty the seafoam will be sucked through the cleaner port because there is more sucksion. that is why it is best to start from the port closest to the throttle body, which in our case is the brake booster.(deadhorse(fuoops)(deadhorse

Back