Toyota recall hits 1M vehicles

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
Faulty parts in 10 models worldwide will be replaced; drivers could lose control of the steering wheel.

WASHINGTON -- Toyota Motor Corp. said Tuesday it is recalling nearly 1 million vehicles across the globe to replace faulty parts that could cause drivers to lose control of the steering wheel.
The recall affects about 986,000 vehicles across 10 models, including its popular Prius hybrid car. More than half of the affected vehicles are in Japan, company officials said.
The intermediate shafts and sliding yokes in the recalled cars lack the necessary strength and could distort or crack under strong pressure, causing drivers to lose control of the steering wheel, the Japanese automaker said in a statement.
In the United States, Toyota is recalling about 170,000 Prius models because the steering shaft assembly could become loose or crack under certain conditions.
Toyota said there have been no reported crashes or injuries connected to the problem in the United States. Owners are expected to be notified of the recall in mid-June.
In Japan, the recall involves a total of 565,756 vehicles manufactured under the Wish, Isis, Prius, Corolla, Corolla Runx, Corolla Fielder, Corolla Spacio, Allex and Ractis brands between September 2002 and November 2005, according to the statement.
The number in Japan included more than 300,000 Wish cars and more than 113,000 Prius cars.
Toyota spokesman Bill Kwong said the recall involves about 240,000 vehicles in Europe, including the Prius, Corolla and Avensis. An additional 10,000 vehicles were being recalled in other parts of the world, including China and New Zealand, he said.
The recall follows more than 30 complaints filed with Toyota since March 2004, the carmaker said. Toyota announced Japan's largest one-time recall in October, spending 15.5 billion yen ($139 million) to fix headlamps on 1.27 million vehicles. President Katsuaki Watanabe said earlier this month the automaker is planning to create a senior managing director position responsible for maintaining vehicle quality.

source:http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060531/AUTO01/605310340/1148

Yea, the build quality of the imports are sooo much better then the domestics.:bs:

Hughes412 said:
Yea, the build quality of the imports are sooo much better then the domestics.:bs:

it is i know i work on them all...you just fail to pay attention to the recalls that alot of the american manufacturers put out or the fact that they ignore ALOT of them since it would cost too much money to recall them...case and point Fords 3rd gen SHO taurus, there is a known problem with the cams coming off the cam gears and being an interference engine when this happens it turns into a catastrophic failure destroying the whole engine instead of recalling the car to have this fixed which would have cost ford alot of cash they just let it ride now they are paying for it in court as the SHO owners have rallied against ford.

And the main problem toyota is having is with the power assisted racks which is where this recall is mainly focused

Shadow102 said:
it is i know i work on them all...you just fail to pay attention to the recalls that alot of the american manufacturers put out or the fact that they ignore ALOT of them since it would cost too much money to recall them...case and point Fords 3rd gen SHO taurus, there is a known problem with the cams coming off the cam gears and being an interference engine when this happens it turns into a catastrophic failure destroying the whole engine instead of recalling the car to have this fixed which would have cost ford alot of cash they just let it ride now they are paying for it in court as the SHO owners have rallied against ford.

And the main problem toyota is having is with the power assisted racks which is where this recall is mainly focused

Got to come up with some thing newer then that. Every one knows that the older Domestic cars sucked. But the newer cars that they put out are just as good as any other.

Hughes412 said:
Got to come up with some thing newer then that. Every one knows that the older Domestic cars sucked. But the newer cars that they put out are just as good as any other.

working at a dealer that services and sells several domestic and import lines, i can emphatically say this is not true. the technicians know it, the salespeople know it and the management knows it.

wasn't it the saturn ions (gm) that had a recall for a fuel line in the engine bay that would crack and leak onto the engine, causing a fire in an engine bay?

Uhm, how about Ford recalling a bunch of *new* cars because the STRAPS that hold the gas tank to the car would fail, dropping the tank onto the hot exhaust system, and you can figure out what happens next. Yup, new domestics are much better in this department.:p

Captain KRM P5 said:
working at a dealer that services and sells several domestic and import lines, i can emphatically say this is not true. the technicians know it, the salespeople know it and the management knows it.

rather, it feels like the other way around ;)

I'm not saying domestic is better. But that they are equal when it comes to reliability. Yes there are some better than others. But I know people that have had cheys and fords for ever and never had one problem. And I know people with mazdas and hondas and they have. The same people on this forum have said that Honda suffers from build quality, look at the recalls in mazda.

In 2006 toyota had recalls on these vehicals.
Avalon
Camry
Corolla
Matrix
Prius
Tacoma

hondacivic
accord

acura
tl

mazda
mazda 5
tribute

mits
Eclipse

Hell there is just to many. All of these had recalls last yr. So yea, they are all the same.

Acura
Audi
BMW
Buick
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Dodge
Ford
GMC
Honda
Hyundai