Show your support and Donate!
Show your support and Donate!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dtc P0103, Maf Input Too High.......

194 HP-181 FT/LBS TQ ZenProtege's Avatar
    Donated: $10

Mazda Protege Titanium 03.5

Dtc P0103, Maf Input Too High.......Problem Solved

Problem solved! I explain more on the cause a few post down

My car has been acting funny lately under full boost from 4k and up. It stumbles and misfires irradically as I pull to redline. The problem is best decribed as being very similar to FC(almost like several mini fuel cuts instead of one hard one), and it is usually followed by intermittent normal fuel cuts 50% of the time after the stumbling/choking out hesitation begins. When the problem occurs, my car becomes extremely sluggish and acceleration is extremely irradict. Up until yesterday, I had never gotten a CEL to help pinpoint the problem despite the fact it's been happening for 2-3 months now. I had a suspicion it was a problem with the MAF or somthing in the secondary ignition circuit. After reading more info , I've found that DTC can be triggered as a result of several things. Has anybody else gotten this DTC, and if so, what was your problem? I'm not easily inclined to buy a new maf and bolt it up there too see if it solves the problem, so I have to make sure nothing else is causing the problem before I replace the unit.

What I've checked out/cleaned so far:

Coils are fine
    Plugs are fine
    Wires are fine
    Maf and IAT have been cleaned with electric cleaner
    EGR has been removed and cleaned
    TB has been cleaned
    Car has relatively new copper plugs as well
    All couplings have been checked and re-checked for a good seal .
    New Airfilter 4 months ago
    Seafoamed every month
    Reset PCM
    Retightened all connections in aftermarket exhaust

Car pulls 22-24 " of HG at idle, so engine vac is good

Boost holds steady. (I'm at stock boost)

my MAF IS RELOCATED!

MODS listed below

I think my problem is being caused by something other than the MAF....
    Does anybody know of a definate way to check the MAF?
    Last edited by ZenProtege; 09-12-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    TURBO SPECIALTIES FMIC*TURBO SPECIALTIES BOV*BLITZ DTT DCII* SILVERSTARS*CUSTOM SRI + AEM DRYFLOW FILTER*TURBO BACK 2.5-3" CUSTOM EXHAUST + APEXi N1 TURBO MUFFLER* EBC GREENSTUFF PADS*EBC DIMPLED/SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS*AWR FRONT & REAR MOTOR MOUNTS*A PILLIAR TWIN GAUGE POD*OPTIMA RED TOP BATTERY*FLASHED*GEMINI COMPOSITES REVERSE COWL CF HOOD*MEMPHIS 10" SUB + 200.2 MEMPHIS AUDIO AMP*RELOCATED MAF*MOBIL 1 LUBRICANTS*UNICHIP EMS*EXEDY STAGE 1 CLUTCH*

COMING SOON (/ wtb used): EIBACH SPRINGS, DG CF GRILL, P5 FOGS

Great prices on silicone couplings
    Make your heatshield over your exhaust manifold shiny!
    Protege Shop Manual

2003 MSP #1323

If I am stating the obvious, sorry in advance, but is your check engine light on?
    FS: 03 MSP RB springs
    FS: MSP Stock hotpipe...PM please

Donated: $15

MP5

just a suggestion get rid of the maf
    Andrew

IPMCSFL

2002.5 Midnight Blue Protege5

yea, I mentioned that I had a CEL... that's how I got the DTC p0103. It turned itself off after a few drive cycles. I wasn't too surprised that happened.....That particular code can result from many different things going wrong. I've been trying to diagnose this problem long before having the CEL. All the code did for me was reaffirm what I thought the problem may be caused by

I have a suspicion that maybe a vac line is leaking only under full boost, or that a damaged plug wire is only giving trouble under a full load. Since I don't know how to properly check the short plugs that attach directly to the coils w/ the sping in them,there is still a very small chance this is somehow spark related in my mind. I'm also curios if there is a fault in the wiring for the maf, maybe a poor ground or connector in the harness is making bad contact and throwing it off. From my own experience, either a maf is functional or broken. I've never had to replace a worn out maf that still worked.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

lmao, and replace the maf with....
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Boostd & it feels so good Moeed's Avatar

2003.5 Protege5 silver

another maf. read the shop manual, it will tell you what steps to take to trouble shoot.
    http://dfwmazdas.com

MSP Swap with MPNick upgrade , ION FMIC, ION CAI, MPI TUNER and extra injectors , AWR Competition Radiator with custom fan shroud, J&S safeguard , zeitronix w/b with all the extras, blitz DSBC at stock and 9 pounds, Front and rear mount 90 durameter, Intake manifold clean up, and 3" mandrel bent exhaust with ghl d/p. Custom carputer (thanks elemental)

Donated: $5

2007 Mazda3 GT HB; 06 Mazda3 GT ; 05 Yamaha FZ6

I uh...hmm. I took a left at the .....crap
    i AM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM HOLY CRAP. i JUST POSTED THIS NOT 2 WEEKS AGO. I will be following this thread. I have the relocated maf also. Mine only does it when its around 80 degrees or so. Not when its cold. I have the relocated maf also. I think there is a way to get rid of the maf all together. I don't remember what it was but it was on this forum.
    By The Grace Of God Go I
    FLOGGING MOLLY

Donated: $5

2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzd
    I think there is a way to get rid of the maf all together. I don't remember what it was but it was on this forum.
    Standalone EMS?
    And....MS6 replaced with '11 CX-7 2.3t AWD
    MSP Now replaced with '06 MS6!

Microtech LT10s--WRX 440's--HiBoost FMIC--MAM catless midpipe--Corksport S+J Pipes--PLX M-300 Wideband--Greddy Profec B Spec II--Injen SRI--RR-Racing Rear mount inserts--AWR Front M/T Mount--Greddy Type-S

I don't have a shop manual. If anybody can scan a copy of that guide or has a link to that it would be very much appreciated!

MazdaSpeed 6

The MAF too high code could be because you are hitting fuel cut too much. Fuel cut is when the MAF sends the ECU a certain voltage, I think it's around 4.7-5v depending on the load and all. So maybe with it being on the pressure side, it's seeing that voltage more often and the ECU is like WTF! How much boost? If the boost was too high, then that would trigger too much MAF voltage more often, especially since it's on the pressure side. I could be all wrong on this as well, I'm no MSP expert.

The manual is at http://protege5.ugly.net/
    Custom 3" turbo back exhaust, Fujita CAI, MPI reworked stock turbo, Blitz SBC-id EBC, HKS BOV, SU motor mount, RX-8 wheels and autoEXE "low down" springs

MPI SW and key: go to post #56 and post# 94 for instructions
    http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...09#post2013109

AWD...say Bye Bye
    Retired AMM..Got Bingo?

Titanium MS6

bigg tim is exactly correct...im betting its a combo of around 10psi boost and being on the pressure side...

Now offers 2 versions of our ever popular AFC

*Version I...the original...
    *Version II...includes 4 logging channels in addition to the ones included with version I. The most noteable beign the ability to log wideband o2 signals on the same graph with rpm, boost, etc...

In addition we do offer our AFC version I & II with built in timing retard for those of you wanting a little added safety at high boost/rpm levels...This is only offered on a limited individual basis.

Sea turtle

370z (Totalled)

PCM monitors input voltage from MAF sensor after ignition key is turned on. If input voltage at PCM terminal 88 is above 4.90 V, PCM determines that MAF circuit has a malfunction.

Possible cause: MAF sensor malfunction, Connect or terminal malfunction, or short to power circuit in wiring between MAF sensor terminal C and PCM terminal 88.

Straight out of the manual. There's a troubleshooting process but none of them you'd be able to do, unless you know what to do with freeze frame data and can acess the MAF pid. It says check connections, at the maf sensor, like check for bent terminal on the maf sensor connector, or make sure it is connected to the PCM properly, and inspect the maf signal circuit for short to power circuit. GL

Registered Member

03.5 MS Protege-Gone 07 MS3

I have the same problem. It actually just happened to me yesterday. It started when I was getting on the highway and then it stumbled and the CEL came on. This happens to me when it rains excessively and I think moisture creates the issue. All I do to cure this problem for me is disconnect the battery then reconnect and it should be good to go. I have a FMIC with the MAF relocated. This only happens to me when it poors for days and again I do beleive this is from moisture.
    Mod List:

HKS BOV
    CORKSPORT SRI AND TURBO INLET PIPE
    CORKSPORT TEST PIPE
    TRZ MOUNT

Quote Originally Posted by smo0f
    PCM monitors input voltage from MAF sensor after ignition key is turned on. If input voltage at PCM terminal 88 is above 4.90 V, PCM determines that MAF circuit has a malfunction.

Possible cause: MAF sensor malfunction, Connect or terminal malfunction, or short to power circuit in wiring between MAF sensor terminal C and PCM terminal 88.

Straight out of the manual. There's a troubleshooting process but none of them you'd be able to do, unless you know what to do with freeze frame data and can acess the MAF pid. It says check connections, at the maf sensor, like check for bent terminal on the maf sensor connector, or make sure it is connected to the PCM properly, and inspect the maf signal circuit for short to power circuit. GL

I have access to a scanner and have already made a movie. My maf kept voltage as it should...but, it could have spiked up between one of the RPM increments it wasn't logging on. The scanner for some reason is having trouble exporting a data to the computer, so that makes it tricky to review as well. I'm going to check the signal wire at the PCM next...thanks for the terminal info smoof.
    I'm working with a good friend and seasoned mechanic on the problem now. I have access to a host of different tools, and he would be able to clarify any tricky diagnostic procedures like you mentioned. He has 15 years experience as a master tech for ford, and another 10 years of building tranny's and another 13 years as a shop owner as well as being ASE mastercertified all fields with some kind of speciatly certification in electrical. It's nice to have him on my side, but it's kinda irritating bc whether or not he knows whats wrong with my car, he'll make sure I figure it out before giving me any hints so I'll learn on my own.
    I made a short movie of my car stumbling...I hope that will help you see the problem a little better and further clarify what I'm describing....I'm having trouble putting it up here bc of it's size...I need to find somewhere that will host it...

Any freeze frame data?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast