HOW-TO: WGA (wastegate actuator) replacement.

Alejo_NIN

:
RadonElement.Com
Well, i went thru the trouble of replacing a f'ed up wastegate actuator after finding out that i was running 15 psi!!!
the replacement WGA can be found at ATPTURBO.com
100_4438.JPG

this replacement i got for $65 shipped, they have great service, i really recommend buying from them.
it is listed on their website as a 6 PSI Wastegate Actuator for SRT20 engine (Nissian Silvia)
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...D&Product_Code=ATP-WGT-011B&Category_Code=WGT

some infor on the wastegates:
some numbers on the stock(msp) WGA:
700187-6

Some numbers on the new WGA:
700187-1

100_4440.JPG

Tools Needed:
1/2" drive ratchet
3/4" drive ratchet
various sizes 14mm in 1/2 and 3/4 drive
12mm wrech with a metric side.
channel lock
flathead screw driver
small ratchet
5/16 socket to remove turbo hoses
17mm socket with 1/2" drive
100_4450.JPG

technically, if you have a 99+ piece craftsman or similar tool set, you got it all!! congrats :)

WITH ENGINE COOL!!!
go ahead and remove the hot pipe and top radiator hose
*trick: in order not to spill coolant all over, open the radiator, then the butterflie underneath the radiator (radiator flush) then, fulsh for a lil bit until you can see the fns thru the radiator cap, then cflose butterflie and take hose off, that way everything is clean :) )
100_4441.JPG

if you have a heatshield go ahead and remove the two top bolts and bottom bolt with a 10mm socket, then take heatshield off, it can be tricky, but not impossible.
100_4444.JPG

then remove 02 sensor, even tho not really needed, you don't want to brake that expensive part, after that remove the EGR pipe from the manifold, you won't be able to completely remove it, but you have to loosen the nut that keep them together.
then go ahead and remove the two nuts, and 8 bolts from the manifold.
you'll notice that you won't be able to undo 3 of the bolts...that's where you'll need the 12mm wrench ;).
100_4445.JPG

now, get under the car and remove the j-pipe by first removing the heatshield and undoing the 3 bolts from the side closest to the turbo and 2 bolts with springs right before the first cat.
100_4446.JPG

remember to plug your turbo with a rag.

Last edited:
100_4449.JPG

there are two nuts holding the WGA with its heatshield, they're 11mm bolts and only one of them can be removed with a 11mm wrech, the otherone has to be removed, from the back, with a 11mm socket and one of those things that allows you to go at an angle, like this one:
angle_tool.jpg

3/8 in. drive universal joint

When i removed the 2nd nut, i did it from under the car, but when installing, i found it easier to do it from the top behind the manifold.
it is the same way removing it than installing it.

there's a clip that has to be removed from the WGA at the wastegate, PLEASE DO NOT LOSE IT, i lost it and it sucks!!!!
reinstall the new wastegate, and connect the vaccum line to it.
100_4448.JPG

pay attention to everything you removed and just find your way backwards..
here's some hints

-don't forget to re-install inatke side.
-do not forget to unplug the turbo(remove the rag)
do not forget to torque the mani bolts and nuts
do not forget to install heatshield at the j-pipe
do not forget to refill your radiator and re-install cap!!! ( i can't believe i forgot this!!)
reset the ECU by disconnectng the (-) negative terminal right before you start, so by the time you finish it had resetted the ECU.
do not forget to re-install manifold heatshield.

and remember that this is not a DIRECT REPLACEMENT. it won't do 6PSI but instead give you 2 free PSI by raising the boost to 8 PSI.
adjust your MBC to compensate this please.

enjoy!!!!!

pics will be updated as soon as my website stops acting funny....sorry

do not forget to re-install vaccum line to wastegate!!

This is how i lifted my car..
100_4451.JPG

NOTE:
if you have a WGA with an adjustable arm,
here is some info that could help you decide the lenght.

set_preload.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I do appreciate all the work...but you do not need to remove the manifold to change the wastegate actuator...it only takes about 30 minutes to do the exchange. I only removed the heatshield and the bracket holding the turbo oil line to do the swap.

i have an atp wga on the way and a accuboost mbc. alejo, how much psi does your turbo spike to and what does it hold now?

You should buy the rod adjustment adapter that they sell to make it a full OEM replica.

Last edited:
it holds at 8psi without spikes....or at least it just holds at 8...never higher

maybe you are right, maybe there's no need to remove the manifold....but i found it easier to do with the mani off....

You need lots and lots of pics....you need to show them how its done, telling people about your experience will help them, but showing them the process is what how-to really help. For a sample, check my sig on the MAM install.

Yeah I just ordered the 6psi atp WGA, and I need to know how to install it without removing the turbo/manifold.

sorry about the pics....******* website is down...and for some reason, i can't link to the attached pictures...

nvmsp said:
so your wstegate now holds at 8psi? Hmmm

The actuator ATP sells holds a tad more boost despite it being labelled as 6psi. Mine usually holds 1-2psi above the stock actuator, which is 7-8psi.

Back