Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

nonopr said:
The auxliary port that comes in the center console of the MS3 is so lame in regard quality of sound, they forgot to put a noise filter in the line and I can hear the alternator noise when playing my IPod thru it. What can I do to eliminate the noise in the line?

I don't think "forgot" is the operative word here. <sigh> Buy a 3.5mm-3.5mm ground loop isolator and plug that in between your ipod and the ACI, or don't charge your ipod while your listening to it. ;) check crutchfield.com for the 3.5mm GLI.

Just bought one of the AuxMod basic do-hickys off the link above, at least I think I did.... Anyone bought anything from these guys? Any idea where they are or how long it takes them to fill an order? Anyone had any luck reaching anyone through e-mail? Just wondering, thanks.

I waited about 2 months on the waiting list when I got mine last year. They should still be in stock right now, so hopefully you should get one pretty quickly. Once my number came up I received it in about 4 days.

Yep, I got one already.

Thanks

icspots said:
I don't think "forgot" is the operative word here. <sigh> Buy a 3.5mm-3.5mm ground loop isolator and plug that in between your ipod and the ACI, or don't charge your ipod while your listening to it. ;) check crutchfield.com for the 3.5mm GLI.

I waited about 2 months on the waiting list when I got mine last year. They should still be in stock right now, so hopefully you should get one pretty quickly. Once my number came up I received it in about 4 days.

TheMAN said:
the 07 aux input connects to the 16 pin auxiliary connector at the back of the stock head unit... it consists of 3 shielded wires from the aux connector which will connect to pin 2A, 2C, 2E, 2G, and 2M on the headunit... wire for pin 2M is the shield wire which the wire from pin 2A will splice into near the headunit

in theory, it should work with the earlier mazda3s as well as the 01-03 proteges (non-kenwood)... how this s*** is activated, I'm not sure... maybe the headunit switches the audio over as soon as it sees pin 2M grounded or maybe you have to press a button to switch it over

pin assignments (aux jack end -> headunit end) [wire color]:
none -> 2A [BR/G]
C -> 2E
D -> 2G [R]
E -> 2C [W]
none -> 2M [W/B]

terminal schematic (viewed at device connectors, NOT at harness end):

Hi, would you be able to advise as in how to DIY the aux input for the factory head unit. What is needed and how the construction / connection is done etc.... Thanks

I just bought the switch box for the '07. Does anyone have the dealer installation instructions? Or know where it should be mounted? Thanks in advance!

rudelky said:
I just bought the switch box for the '07. Does anyone have the dealer installation instructions? Or know where it should be mounted? Thanks in advance!

I have a PDF of the mazda install instruction for the switchbox. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

ksmz3 said:
Hi, would you be able to advise as in how to DIY the aux input for the factory head unit. What is needed and how the construction / connection is done etc.... Thanks

the idea theMAN is proposing won't work. The auxport does not work without a micro proccessor sending it commands. you cannot just input audio. When booting up the radio scans the bus looking for devices, each device that is plugged into the radio like Internal CD, Tape, External CD, Sat, Nav etc report's itself to the radio with a code. The radio then knows what devices are there and activate the buttons on the radio, Sat, Media, CD-EX etc.

Most of that detailed knowledge is from Zero Cool who has done some extensive work with the HUs while working out an aux input solution for sale.

Neo Ion vs. Audiolink vs. Denison???

Thanks for this great summary of the options. Like a few other folks I have trolled around a few parts of the 'net looking for this info and this is the best info I have found!

Of the Neo Ion, the Audiolink and the Denison options, am I correct that they are all about the same? They seem to have about the same specs and they are about the same price.

A fair bit of my home stereo is Denison so I would lean that way if for no other reason than 'the devil you know...'

For those out there that have bought one of these products, why did you chose one over the other? (I hope this will not start a "ipod adapter fanboy war" -- that would not be a great first post, would it? ha ha)

Lastly, I am correct in assuming that all 3 of these can allow you to navigate via your ipod in addition to controlling via the radio head and steering wheel?

Thanks...
don

My first post! Well I just purchased a new 2007 Mazda3 5 door GT, with the Bose upgrade, and thought I would weigh in on this and ask a question......
They installed Sirius at delivery and then I discovered my aux jack didn't work. I would press the media key and nothing, with an ipod nano hooked up. So, I took it back and they fixed it- said they had to install an "adapter" (the word they used). So now both the Sirius and the aux jack work. I guess my question now is, does this OEM ipod cable from Mazda really add that much functionality over the aux jack? I didn't know about this cable at the time of purchase. If it doesn't show you what you're scrolling through on the lcd screen, I'm not sure how much extra use that would be, as well as the ipod then having to sit in the glove box and be harder to get at to change menus etc. Any thoughts on this?
freediverdude

freediverdude said:
My first post! Well I just purchased a new 2007 Mazda3 5 door GT, with the Bose upgrade, and thought I would weigh in on this and ask a question......
They installed Sirius at delivery and then I discovered my aux jack didn't work. I would press the media key and nothing, with an ipod nano hooked up. So, I took it back and they fixed it- said they had to install an "adapter" (the word they used). So now both the Sirius and the aux jack work. I guess my question now is, does this OEM ipod cable from Mazda really add that much functionality over the aux jack? I didn't know about this cable at the time of purchase. If it doesn't show you what you're scrolling through on the lcd screen, I'm not sure how much extra use that would be, as well as the ipod then having to sit in the glove box and be harder to get at to change menus etc. Any thoughts on this?
freediverdude

Well I installed the Ipod module in my MS3 GT and even though you can't see the song list on the factory screen, it is nice to be able to switch from song to next song and control everything from the steering wheel controls.

I had my Ipod initially hooked up through the Aux. line in but that really sucked because you have to open and close the center console everytime you need to do anything with the Ipod including turning it on & off. Also I got static noise if I leave the power plug in when using it that way.

freediverdude, Just double checking, but is your question whether or not you will get better functionality with the ipod adapter vs. the ACI? Here's the thing. The switchbox they installed so that you can have both the sirius and ACI working has two plugs on it. One will work for sirius/phatbox/or any of the ipod methods, and the other one will only work with the ACI. That means that if you were to go to the ipod adapter then you'd have both the ipod adapter and the ACI working, but not your sirius and your ipod adapter together. Did that make sense?

Deep Blue, did you realize that there's a little "channel" (for lack of a better word) along the front right lip of the lower compartment if you were to want to run the cable out of the console? That way the cable can come out and the console will still close. Also there's a pass through into the upper compartment for you to keep your player in the top part. As for the noise when charging all you'd need to do is a get a ground loop isolator (crutchfield sells a 3.5mm-3.5mm one) and Viola! No more noise.

Does any of you guys used AUXMOD Basic ? How is the sound quality ?If the sound quality is very good, I am planning to buy one. Also do I need any ground loop isolator if there is any hissing noice.. Thanks.

Last edited:
rameshb_v said:
Does any of you guys used AUXMOD Basic ? How is the sound quality ?If the sound quality is very good, I am planning to buy one. Also do I need any ground loop isolator if there is any hissing noice.. Thanks.

Yes, I have one. Install is VERY simple and the sound is cd-quality. I don't use a car charger for my iPod (or whatever media player you would like to use) so there is not an issue with hissing. However, if you choose to charge the media player while you are listening to music through the auxmod, I would recommend buying a ground loop isolator. The hissing is caused by charging the player while it is playing.

^^^ What he said. :D I would point out that the sound quality is only as good as the media you're playing through it. If you have crappy quality Mp3's then the sound won't be great.

rameshb_v said:
Thank You.(burp) Do you know if this voids factory warranty for the Audio system?

That depends. For the most part I doubt the dealer will ever see the AuxMod there. If you do have some weird electrical problem I would suggest removing the AuxMod to see if that makes a difference before going to the dealer.

There was one guy on another forum that had a recurring problem with his stereos. He had the audiolink module connected. The dealer ordered and installed 4 different HU's for him and each time reconnected the audiolink. The SM finally realized this and sent the guy a bill for $1,600 and blamed the aftermarket parts for causing the problems.

icspots said:
That depends. For the most part I doubt the dealer will ever see the AuxMod there. If you do have some weird electrical problem I would suggest removing the AuxMod to see if that makes a difference before going to the dealer.

There was one guy on another forum that had a recurring problem with his stereos. He had the audiolink module connected. The dealer ordered and installed 4 different HU's for him and each time reconnected the audiolink. The SM finally realized this and sent the guy a bill for $1,600 and blamed the aftermarket parts for causing the problems.

Thank You. This really helps.

Phone -->> audio input

Hi, my first post ..........

Just picked up my Galaxy Grey, GT, 5 door, wondering:

is there a way to connect the audio out of the 3.5 mm plug on my phone into the aux input to play thru the radio, and just use a wired mic for the input to the phone ? anybody make somethin like that, can't find anything like that on the web, seems obvious.

I don't treally need bluetooth, but would like to play the sound thru the radio.

thanks

IPOD Video

I have a question, I dont know if you guy can awnser it, I have a Ipod video 30 gig with alot of albums, With IPOD integration can I change albums with the radio control ? or only skip song threw the hole playlist..

Lynch said:
I have a question, I dont know if you guy can awnser it, I have a Ipod video 30 gig with alot of albums, With IPOD integration can I change albums with the radio control ? or only skip song threw the hole playlist..

Hmmm, I'm not sure as I don't actually have any of the integration methods. I'd try e-mailing rpm about the audiolink and asking them.... they're pretty good at getting back with people quickly.

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have the same problem. I have Sirius installed and the AUX port doesn't work. I don't really care about the sat. radio, so would it be possible for me to just get to the HU, unplug sirius and plug in the AUX instead?

Back