Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

If you have an MS3, the factory Sirius puck won't fit under the VG Shark Fin along with the regular antenna base. There is only enough room under there for one of them...If you removed the factory base or trimmed it down you might be able to make it work, but I have yet to come up with a good solution.

...and yes, I've removed the headliner before. It's a major pain in the ass.

If you have an MS3, the factory Sirius puck won't fit under the VG Shark Fin along with the regular antenna base. There is only enough room under there for one of them...If you removed the factory base or trimmed it down you might be able to make it work, but I have yet to come up with a good solution.

...and yes, I've removed the headliner before. It's a major pain in the ass.

Really?!? FAIL! Because ICSPOTS said it would in a few posts.

My suggestion is get a functional sharkfin from www.sharkfinantenna.com, install the sirius antenna right behind the stock antenna, and replace the whip on the stocker with the sharkfin. End result, good sirius reception with no visible additional antenna.

I was banking on that. I'll figure out something else then. I did order a 2009 Sharkfin with sirius and fm if that matters <shrugs>

BTW, My Dice G2 cradle already shipped and my Parrot/BOSE adapter will be here today.

Yeah that's the whole reason I bought the Sharkfin actually... It still isn't on my car because I figured there was no point if I'm still gonna have that damn Sirius puck on the top of my car. I even looked for a replacement Sirius antenna small enough to fit, and judging by the measurements I've taken none of the ones I've found will work without at least reducing the size of the footprint of the stock antenna base.

Really?!? FAIL! Because ICSPOTS said it would in a few posts.

My suggestion is get a functional sharkfin from www.sharkfinantenna.com, install the sirius antenna right behind the stock antenna, and replace the whip on the stocker with the sharkfin. End result, good sirius reception with no visible additional antenna.

I was banking on that. I'll figure out something else then. I did order a 2009 Sharkfin with sirius and fm if that matters <shrugs>

BTW, My Dice G2 cradle already shipped and my Parrot/BOSE adapter will be here today.

The antenna/base on the MS3 is larger than that of the standard '04-'08.5 5-door. On the original base there would be enough room for the antenna.

Just FYI I know several people who have placed their antenna either in the center of the dash right against the glass, or to one side or the other. It doesn't give as great signal as it would on the roof, but given the steep angle of the windshield it still has a pretty good view of the sky through the glass. Actually one of the people still got good signal with it on the dash while parked in my garage.

What would be awesome would be to somehow disassemble the spoiler and have it sit inside. I figure if the antenna will work under the sharkfin it should work inside the spoiler. Then again maybe it wouldn't. Still it would be nice and stealth. :)

The antenna/base on the MS3 is larger than that of the standard '04-'08.5 5-door. On the original base there would be enough room for the antenna.

Just FYI I know several people who have placed their antenna either in the center of the dash right against the glass, or to one side or the other. It doesn't give as great signal as it would on the roof, but given the steep angle of the windshield it still has a pretty good view of the sky through the glass. Actually one of the people still got good signal with it on the dash while parked in my garage.

What would be awesome would be to somehow disassemble the spoiler and have it sit inside. I figure if the antenna will work under the sharkfin it should work inside the spoiler. Then again maybe it wouldn't. Still it would be nice and stealth. :)

Could I retrofit and M3's hatchback base then?

Could I retrofit and M3's hatchback base then?

Not likely.

The MS3's base has an integrated circuit board (I would guess it's some sort of signal amplifier) built into it, which is why it's larger than the regular Mazda 3 base...This probably makes a simple swap difficult to do properly.

Not likely.

The MS3's base has an integrated circuit board (I would guess it's some sort of signal amplifier) built into it, which is why it's larger than the regular Mazda 3 base...This probably makes a simple swap difficult to do properly.

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I may go with the Sirius glass mount antenna aka SIGMA. Is there one that fits the mazda sirius box?

BTW, I got my Parrot/Bluetooth/BOSE adapter yesterday. I hope I can get my GROM/SIRIUS/BT to integrate into the radio. Too bad they quit making the MultiCAN adapter for parrot to use the steering wheel controls, but the tech at Parrot said "it's a piece of sh*t and never worked right most of the time".

Last edited:
I could never actually find a SIGMA setup that I could confirm would work with the Mazda/Sanyo tuner... (dunno)

In fact, all I really found regarding ANY SIGMA setup was mention of it on some Nissan and Toyota forums, but all the links to the actual product were dead. :(

If you can find anything related to a solution that might work, let me know.

I know the factory Sirius tuner I have uses a FAKRA antenna connector, but there are adapters available that allow you to use the newer "universal" antenna connector if needed...

Thanks for answering all of my questions. Do you know if I need the switch box if I get the new Sirius box for my car and ipod integration? If so whats the model number?

Talked to Mazda parts and yes I do need the adapter so About $370 for the Sirius parts.

Mazda 5

Can someone please help me to determine what's needed to get an iPhone integrated into a 2009 Mazda 5? This Mazda 5 has the AUX input and bluetooth, but no Sirius.

If I go with OEM, I believe I need the following part #s:
C291-79-CFZ (iPod module)
C9F1-V6-029 (installation harness kit)

Is that all? Don't I need something because this Mazda 5 has bluetooth?

Does anyone know if the cheaper, non-OEM options work well with a 2009 Mazda 5, e.g. the DICE?

Can someone please help me to determine what's needed to get an iPhone integrated into a 2009 Mazda 5? This Mazda 5 has the AUX input and bluetooth, but no Sirius.

Does anyone know if the cheaper, non-OEM options work well with a 2009 Mazda 5, e.g. the DICE?

The only non-OEM as far as I know for now is the GROM unit. They recently released a new version that works with 08-09 Mazdas. http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2-maz8.html Although I'm very ticked that you have to add an additional iPod cable for $19.75 to the purchase if you want to use your iPod. Who the FK buys an iPod adapter for car and doesn't want to use iPod?

The only non-OEM as far as I know for now is the GROM unit. They recently released a new version that works with 08-09 Mazdas. http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/grom-usb2-maz8.html Although I'm very ticked that you have to add an additional iPod cable for $19.75 to the purchase if you want to use your iPod. Who the FK buys an iPod adapter for car and doesn't want to use iPod?

You can use you stock iPhone USB (I believe) which is why they probably allow it to be a seperate purchase. I'll be installing mine next weekend hopefully as I'll finally all or most of the parts. I was thinking of a how-to for this new one as I am hopefully integrating BT/IPOD/SIRIUS at once.

Ahh, maybe it for people who have the old unit and want to upgrade to the newer one??? I'm drawing straws here, and whats the big deal really? Either that or they would raise the cost of the kit by that price so wouldn't know your paying for it separately?

So I called Jason over at Montgomery Mazda (onlinemazdaparts.com) and he tells me that the OEM iPod integration module DOES NOT work with the iPhone.

That sucks big time. Was planning this as a gift for my bro to use his iPhone in his Mazda5.

So I called Jason over at Montgomery Mazda (onlinemazdaparts.com) and he tells me that the OEM iPod integration module DOES NOT work with the iPhone.

That sucks big time. Was planning this as a gift for my bro to use his iPhone in his Mazda5.

The GROM works with the iPhone, plus I believe the Mazda doesn't charge it plus it locks it out, which makes the iPhone worthless even if it did connect.

Welp, a whole day of FAIL. First my GROM isn't working, possibly defective and/or needs a firmware update. And I may have the wrong Parrot BT kit and need yet another harness.

I have:
Parrot CK3100 LCD Black
HFVT HF-MZD-TH2-AMK-AMP

Do I need anything more? Or am I just a ex-MECP installer moron? Parrot's directions blow. If you want even call them directions. Nothing ever matches up. i.e. pictures of different models.

Welp, a whole day of FAIL. First my GROM isn't working, possibly defective and/or needs a firmware update. And I may have the wrong Parrot BT kit and need yet another harness.

I have:
Parrot CK3100 LCD Black
HFVT HF-MZD-TH2-AMK-AMP

Do I need anything more? Or am I just a ex-MECP installer moron? Parrot's directions blow. If you want even call them directions. Nothing ever matches up. i.e. pictures of different models.

Well, come to find out I have all the parts and they just need better F'N directions. Took me two days to track down HFVT's phone number. I should of just got the Drive&Talk from parrot which I didn't realize I wasn't getting from Expansys. But I can upgrade parrot's if I do since the harness is built for about 6 units which is what lead to my confusion.

And I'm currently in contact with GROM's tech support. I just need to plug in the grom unit again and go from there.

Last edited:
Back