Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
***UPDATED 12/12/2007***

Here's a breakdown of all the options available for you to add an auxiliary input or ipod integration to the factory Mazda3 stereo. If you know of a method I've forgotten please let me know and I'll add it in, otherwise I'll add updates as I find them. Be aware that the listed prices are approximate and do fluxuate, so make sure to check the sites for prices and not just take what I'm saying. ;) If anyone has installed pictures of these units please send me the links and I'll post them in here. I know this is a long thread and can seem pretty intimidating, but if you have any questions please post and I'll do my best to answer them.

(Note: All methods that use the "sirius/CD changer" port are fully compatible with HU's containing the in dash CD changer)

(Note: Due to a HU connector change in 2008.5+ models from 32 pin to 30 pin some inputs/ipod modules may not work with '08+ models. Please contact the seller/manufacturer to confirm compatibility, or join one of the brand specific discussions prior to buying)

(Note: Unless otherwise noted none of the integration modules below will charge an iphone 3G/3GS due to a change in the dock connector for those models. Make sure to check with your retailer prior to ordering to confirm compatibility.)

As clarification. There are two inputs available on the stereo that can be used by the following methods. The TAPE/MD input is located on the bottom of the HU, and the SIRIUS/CD CHANGER input is located on the back of the HU. Any method which uses the sirius/CD changer input are incompatible with OEM sirius, or the phatbox system as they use the same port.

Line in only:
These methods provide an audio input for peripheral devices through various connectors

Aux Mod Basic- Line in only. Provides 3.5mm input through the Tape/MD jack. '06+ models the MEDIA button will access it the same way as the TAPE/MD button does on previous y/m's. This module is incompatible with at least '08.5 models as they do not have the TAPE/MD connector on the HU. Unsure about '08 models. ~$60 Installed Picture

Peripherals MAZASX Mazda CD Changer Interface/Auxiliary Input- Line in only. Provides one RCA input, and one 8-pin CD changer port compatible with Alpine, Audiovox, or Sanyo CD Changers. Includes an adapter to make the CD changer port a second RCA input. Plugs in via the Sirius/CD changer port on the back of the HU. Ideal for connecting multiple peripherals (external CD changer, DVD, MD, Mp3, etc.) at the same time. ~$99

P.I.E.- Line in only. Connects to the HU via the sirius/CD changer jack on the back, adapter connects module to your device. ~$75

Adapters: Pick the adapter that best meets your input needs
  • ALP/M-RCA for RCA, ~$15
  • ALP/M-3.5M for 3.5mm, ~$18
  • PXP03 for ipod*, ~$32
  • PXA03 combines all three (ALP/M-RCA, ALP/M-3.5M, PXP03*) in one cable, ~$39
(*Note: ipod dock connector will charge the ipod and access the line out, but WILL NOT allow ipod control from the stereo controls)

OEM ACI (Auxiliary Console Input)- Line in only. Staring in 2007 the US model comes with an auxiliary 3.5mm audio input mounted in the center console standard. Connects to the stereo through the sirius/CD changer port on the back of the HU. Currenty there haven't been any tests with the ACI on older HU's to test compatibility with the firmware and retrofitting is most likely prohibitively expensive. Your best bet is to go with another input.

FM Modulators (transmitters)- Line in only. Another way to cheaply get audio into your stereo is through a FM modulator. This method inputs an audio signal via the FM receiver in your car's stereo. Modulators come in both direct wired types, and wireless transmitting types. The wired ones are commonly referred to as modulators, and the wireless ones as transmitters, but they're all technically modulators. Both versions give you an easy audio input, but at the sacrifice of sound quality as the sound is still going through the FM receiver. There are so many options of modulators that I won't list any here, but just be aware that they exist.

• [li]Wired modulators plug inline with your car's antenna cable and when you plug an audio source into it the antenna signal is disconnected in favor of your audio source. You have to set your stereo to a specific station for the modulator to "talk" with the stereo (usually in the 88.1-9 area). A quick google search shows a general price range of ~$14-70. (See below on "Harmon Kardon Drive 'n Play wired FM modulator" for an example)[/li]

[li]Wireless modulators (transmitters) transmit your audio signal on a FM frequency that is then picked up by your car's stereo and played through the speakers. You can pick the station your transmitter uses depending on what station in your area gives you the best signal (i.e.-has the least traffic on it) Some wireless transmitters will transmit on only 2-4 stations, and some will let you pick any station from 88.1-107.9 depending on the features of the device. If you live in a Metropolitan area then you may have more trouble finding a "dead" station to use with your transmitter, and you may experience more interference. The up side to transmitters is they are very portable, will function on a 12v DC power supply or batteries in some case, and can be had cheaply. If you do a lot of traveling in rental cars then good a quality transmitter would probably be pretty useful for you. A quick google search shows a general price range of ~$20-100.[/li]

Last edited:
Ipod Integration w/ LCD text display:
These methods provide an audio input, plus control of an ipod via the stereo controls and display ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD

AXXESS ipod interface- Full Integration with steering wheel controls, and displays ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD. Comes in two styles: ipod/auxiliary input, and ipod/XM satellite radio. The ipod/auxiliary version provides a dock connector for the ipod as well as RCA cables for inputing audio from a non-ipod device. The ipod/XM version replaces the auxiliary RCA connector with a XM satellite receiver. The module connects to the stereo through the MD/TAPE slot on the bottom of the HU, charges the ipod, and provides a display of Track/Artist/Playlists on the HU's LCD. The ipod's controls are disabled while connected however the device supports up to 99 playlists on your ipod. Input selection is toggled by pushing the AM/FM button, and then the MD/TAPE (or MEDIA) button. The module is compatible with all Mz3s which do not have a Clarion HU. Repeat this unit does not currently work with Mazda 3s with the Clarion HU. Unit is compatible with Navigation, Bose stereo, OEM sirius, other ipod adapters not utilizing the TAPE/MD adapter, and the OEM phatbox. Unit is not compatible with the TAPE/MD modules.

(Note: This method is not compatible with Mazda 3's containing a HU made by Clarion. Clarion HU's are found in most 2007+ Mazda 3's).

DICE w/ Text- Full integration with steering wheel controls, and displays ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD. Connects to the HU using the sirius/CD changer port, and to the ipod via a dock connector. Charges the ipod while connected. Provides an auxiliary 3.5mm input for other devices. ~$159

(Note: This module is only compatible with HU's that have the "SAT" button).
(Note: I've spoken to the people at DICE, and they have successfully tested this unit in 3's, 6's, and CX-7's. The newest model they've tested on is a 2007 model, so it should be compatible with all year models with the SAT button).

Neo Prolink w/ Text - Full integration with steering wheel controls, and displays ID3 tag info. on the HU's LCD. Ipod is never locked out. Connects to the HU using the sirius/CD changer port, and to the ipod via a dock connector. Charges the ipod while connected. Provides an auxiliary 3.5mm input for other devices. Currently does not work with '08.5 model stereos. ~$179

Mazda ipod adapter '08.5+- Due to a change in harness connectors on the '08 HU Mazda released an ipod module compatible only with '08+ models. You must connect the CAN +/- wires to the LCD harness for text display. This module requires the use of an install kit to connect it to the HU. There are two install kits to choose from. One provides a pass-through for OEM sirius, and the other does not. Both cost the same so I don't see much point in getting the one without just in case you want to add it later.
Ipod Module P/N C29179CFZ ~$113.60
Install w/ sirius P/N C9F4V6029 ~$86.40
Install w/o sirius P/N C9F1V6029 ~$86.40

Ipod Integration:
These methods provide an audio input, plus control of an ipod via the stereo controls

Audio Link / x car link- Full Integration with steering wheel controls. Provides an option of an ipod dock connector* or a USB plug. Both options come with a 3.5mm line input for non-ipod devices. Connects through the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Charges an ipod. Option of playlist mode (controlled by stereo), or direct control via the ipod. ~$125

*Adapters: ipod version have multiple options of adapter cables depending on your input/output needs.Pick the adapter that best meets your needs

Standard connector:

• [li] dock connector, plus 3.5mm audio input[/li]
Optional connectors: (+$5.00. For use with video ipods)

• [li]dock connector, plus RCA video output (No 3.5mm input)[/li]
    [li]dock connector, plus RCA video output, plus 3.5mm audio input [/li]
(Note: Song info. is NOT displayed on HU LCD screen).

Aux Mod Advanced- In Beta testing. Will give full ipod integration with steering wheel controls. Provides a 3.5mm line in with connections to a dock connector. Should display ID3 tag information on the HU LCD. Should also integrate with WinAmp. connects through the Tape/MD jack on the bottom of the HU. ~$150
(Note: price and features tentative, unit not yet released)

DICE w/o text- Full ipod integration with steering wheel controls. Connects to ipod with dock connector, to the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Charges the ipod. Also gives youa 3.5mm auxiliary audio input for other devices. ~$159

Neo Prolink- Updated version of the Neo Ion. Full ipod integration with steering wheel controls. Connects to ipod with dock connector, and into the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Also provides an audio input for other devices (presumably a 3.5mm input). Charges the ipod. ~$199

OEM Mazda ipod adapter (P/N C23679CFZ)- Full integration with steering wheel controls. Connects to ipod with dock connector, and into the sirius/CD changer jack on the back of the HU. Charges the ipod. ipod is disabled while connected to the adapter, and can only be controlled from the stereo controls. ~$119.20

Ipod Integration with External Screens:
These methods provide an external screen, plus control of an ipod via a remote control

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Provides an external backlit LCD which shows the familiar screen from your ipod. Control of the ipod is through a round knob which functions the same way as your ipod's click wheel. Connects to the ipod through the dock connector, and charges the ipod during use. Has a built in wireless FM transmitter, optional wired FM modulator (see below), and a 3.5mm audio output for hardwire connection to an existing auxiliary input. ~$85 (w/ free shipping from https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)) Installed Picture #1, Installed Picture #2
(Note: Song info. is NOT displayed on HU LCD screen, all info. is displayed on the external LCD).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Offers the same features as the Drive 'n Play I with some changes. The new version gives you a 3.5" high definition color screen, and both the screen and controller are wireless. The module's "brain" is bluetooth capable for integration with phones or other BT devices, and the new music DJ features allow you to organize your music similarly to that of sirius or regular radio stations. All these improvements come at a premium though. The Gen. II will run you about $400.
(Note: Song info. is NOT displayed on HU LCD screen, all info. is displayed on the external LCD).

**NEW** Alpine eX-10- Similar to the Drive and Play II (see above) the ex-10 provides you with an external screen and controller for your ipod. It connects to any ipod with a dock connector and charges the ipod. All your song information is displayed on the 2.4" full color screen as well as CD cover art (if applicable), and the screen has an option for a blue or red background. The eX-10 connects to the HU via the built in high power FM transmitter, or by direct connection to an existing auxiliary input through it's 3.5mm output. In addition to iPod integration, the eX-10 communicates with your compatible bluetooth cell phone automatically to provide hands-free calling. You hear callers over your car speakers, or through the eX-10's built-in speaker if you're listening to a CD, and they hear you via the included microphone. All of the important caller info shows up on the eX-10's display. If you have music stored on your phone, you can stream that through the eX-10, too. The eX-10 mounts to the dash through an included suction cup, though I imagine other mounting methods will be tried. ;) At the low price it offers all the benefits of the DnP II without the hefty pricetag. ~$199

Accesories:
Various and asundry adapters, connectors, etc.

Kuda leather console mount- Cleanly mounts to the side of your center console and allows you to mount any device on the end. Conceals all wires and leaves no drillied holes in the car when removed.

ipod cradle w/ video out- Provides a mounting solution for your ipod. Connects to the ipod via the dock connector, and you simply plug the dock connector wire from your integration method into the dock to connect it. There is a 3.5mm video output on the back of the dock. Includes 4 interchangeable iPod holders to perfectly match the fit and style of most iPods including 3G/4G, Video, mini and nano. ~$59.99. Note: This cradle is also sold by Kuda (see Kuda leather console mount)

OEM input switch box (P/N TD1379CFZ)- For 2007 models with the ACI. Allows you to plug the ACI, as well as one of the following: sirius, phatbox, OEM ipod adapter, etc. into the HU via the sirius/CD changer jack. ~$113.60
(Note: One input on the switch box works only with the ACI)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) Connects to the Drive 'n Play through the 3.5mm audio output, and then connects to the antenna input on the HU. When in use the exterior antenna is disconnected for improved sound over a wireless FM transmitter. ~$20 (w/ free shipping from https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned))
(Note: This device is not specific to the Drive 'n Play and will work with any device with a 3.5mm output)

Last edited:
icspots, i owe you for making this thread. i searched for 45 minutes on the m3f thinking that they would have a simmilar sticky. i happen to search here and voila! kudos to you.

the 07 mazda3s also come from the factory with a "aux in" jack located inside the center console storage bin (they also added power port inside too)... I'm going to look into whether this s*** can be retrofitted into the older mazdas

JOS3 said:
icspots, i owe you for making this thread. i searched for 45 minutes on the m3f thinking that they would have a simmilar sticky. i happen to search here and voila! kudos to you.

No problem. There is a sticky at the Mz3forums, but it has no updated info. on it. I tried to get all of this copied into the first post of that thread but never got a response from Admin. I decided I would just update this one and put links to it everywhere, instead of having to update the same list on 6 different forums.

Glad I could help.

theMAN said:
the 07 mazda3s also come from the factory with a "aux in" jack located inside the center console storage bin (they also added power port inside too)... I'm going to look into whether this s*** can be retrofitted into the older mazdas

Look in the OP.
icspots said:
OEM Mazda Audio Input- Line in only. The 2007 US model will be coming with a auxillary 3.5mm audio input mounted in the center console standard. No word on how this connects to the stereo, cost, or if retrofitting will even be possible.

I've heard rumor that the 2007 aux input is actually just plugged into the sirius/MD changer port, so if you're using sirius or a phatbox (not to mention the rest of these options for the ipod) then that aux in is disconnected. I checked the other day on part numbers for it, and the 2007 info. wasn't available. Trust me, as soon as it is I'll have part numbers, links, and prices listed in this thread. :D

i got my audiolink kit yesterday and installed it. its fantastic and worth every penny.

the 07 aux input connects to the 16 pin auxiliary connector at the back of the stock head unit... it consists of 3 shielded wires from the aux connector which will connect to pin 2A, 2C, 2E, 2G, and 2M on the headunit... wire for pin 2M is the shield wire which the wire from pin 2A will splice into near the headunit

in theory, it should work with the earlier mazda3s as well as the 01-03 proteges (non-kenwood)... how this s*** is activated, I'm not sure... maybe the headunit switches the audio over as soon as it sees pin 2M grounded or maybe you have to press a button to switch it over

pin assignments (aux jack end -> headunit end) [wire color]:
none -> 2A [BR/G]
C -> 2E
D -> 2G [R]
E -> 2C [W]
none -> 2M [W/B]

terminal schematic (viewed at device connectors, NOT at harness end):

Attachments

• auxcon.gif
    auxcon.gif
    23 KB · Views: 105,926
^^ wow great info.

Now someone with an 07 mazda3 needs to take their's out and test it on an earlier unit. That's awesome, though it may put auxmod out of business :p

Thanks for the diagram of that TheMAN, definitely good info.

Kansei, it will certainly hurt the AuxMod basic if the price is anywhere close to what sylfex is charging. If it's more than $100 then it's a ripoff. However once the AuxMod Advanced is released that's going to kick ass.

BTW: new stuff added to the list with info/prices on the OEM ipod adaptor. Plus the ipod adaptor for the 2007 includes a switch box to keep the 3.5 input accessable. The guy at rosenthal Mazda is going to be installing it tomorrow, so I'm hoping for more details then.

Chuckles said:
Why is it called a switch box? Do you have to flip a switch to change from one input to another?

No idea, that's just what they're calling it. Apparently if you have the ACI plugged in, and the phatbox/sirius/ipod adapter plugged into it then pressing MEDIA will go to the ACI, and pressing CD twice will go to the others (except for sirius which you press SAT.

Well my iPod kit came today. It is a small box with a cable to connect to the HU and a cable to connect to the iPod. I have tested the iPod adapter with an 04 and a 06 radio and it works great with both! So good news people with 04 to 06 radios for $116.00 dealer cost you can get a factory ipod adapter.

What doesnt work is the switchbox with the iPod adapter! I had hoped that this box would allow me to plug in and use any two devices i wanted. Phatbox & iPod, or Phatbox & Sat, or Sat & iPod etc you get the idea. But it doesnt. Not at least with 04-06 radios. I don't have access to a 07 radio or i would tets with that as well. But i am guessing my results would be the same.

To recap what the switch box is. It is a small box with a cable that connects to the HU on one end and on the other end there are two jacks. one labeled AUX that is supposed to connect to the factory aux input connector and one labeled SAT/CG that would connect to your Sirius or external CD changer or Nav system.

So i set up my bech with my 04 radio and my 06 radio and ran through a bunch of testing. the results were the same for both radios.
When any device (Phatbox, Ipod etc) is plugged into the SAT/CG side, and you press EX twice, the device works just fine. When any device is plugged into the AUX side. the display counts like normal, but no audio.

I tried connecting the factory iPod adapter to the aux side and the phatbox to the SAT/CG side and I could only get the Phatbox to play. Pressing Media, or Sat did nothing. Just the phatbox played and the display is very confused. it switched back and forther between times and numbers and it just isnt happy. It thinks both devices are CD players. so i cant go any farther until i get a Sirius radio box but it does not look like the Switch box part is going to work out as i hoped it would. I am betting that with a Siruis plugged in, that i will get the same sort of results. the sirius will work when SAT is pressed but no audio from the iPod adapter pluged into the aux port.

I call to my local Mazda dealer says the 1/8" mini AUX jack setup is not available. but my parts guys said maybe in another week. Im not holding my breath but that is the scoop so far. So Dont rush out and buy the switch box just yet. as it does not appear to work like you would think it should. It will only work with 07 models and the ACI input setup.

I would bet that the ACI setup has a small chip in the business end of it to activate the unit when its connected. Until i can get one i am only guessing however....

Zc

Admittedly I am an amateur and everybody else knows these things, but I wish I had known how easy it is to slash the dashboard with the sharp edges in the back of the HU. I slid it out and balanced it on the shift knob and then lost control of it for an instant, and now I have some very visible (light-colored) gashes on the dashboard of my three-day-old Mazda3.

On the bright side, the USB Audiolink device fits nicely into the empty space behind the HU, letting me fish the supplied USB extension cable down to the ashtray area, no cutting. And the ashtray slot (without the ashtray) is large enough to hold my MP3 player. Leaving it there keeps it fully charged (through the USB cable) for when I want to use it outside the car.

Auxiliary port on the center console noisy.

The auxliary port that comes in the center console of the MS3 is so lame in regard quality of sound, they forgot to put a noise filter in the line and I can hear the alternator noise when playing my IPod thru it. What can I do to eliminate the noise in the line?

Just bought one of the AuxMod basic do-hickys off the link above, at least I think I did.... Anyone bought anything from these guys? Any idea where they are or how long it takes them to fill an order? Anyone had any luck reaching anyone through e-mail? Just wondering, thanks.

know_no_limits said:
Just bought one of the AuxMod basic do-hickys off the link above, at least I think I did.... Anyone bought anything from these guys? Any idea where they are or how long it takes them to fill an order? Anyone had any luck reaching anyone through e-mail? Just wondering, thanks.

I know at one point there was a waiting list, but I'm not sure if there is anymore. It took 2 months or so for my roommate to get his. Last I checked you can get an ipod adaptor solution from Mazda nowadays so the demand is probably a lot lower.

Back