Should I trade my P5 for MSP?

FatRat

Contributor
I am thinking of trading my 02 P5 for a 03 MSP. To give everyone a little background, my last couple of cars before the P5 were Miata's and I had a couple CRX's before that. I like the way the little cars handle but now I have a family and need the extra room. I like my P5 but it does not excite me like the Miata or CRX. I have drove a couple MSP's and they seem to be somewhat better in the handling department. I am also thinking about getting into autox as well.

Any comments or suggestions?

Josh

if money isn't a big isse why not!?
i'd do it... ofcorse i'm not in the same situation as you

I traded my P5 for a MSP. I like the look and performance of the MSP more than the P5. If speed is the issue have you thought of getting a turbo kit for the P5? Might be cheaper.

haze20 said:
I traded my P5 for a MSP. I like the look and performance of the MSP more than the P5. If speed is the issue have you thought of getting a turbo kit for the P5? Might be cheaper.

Currently my P5 is pretty much stock. I bought it with big plans but just can't get into this car. Both my Miata's were modified and I could not wait to do the next mod. I had OPM Motorsports do a full race spec'd rebuild on my 93 miata (wish I still had it). I was addicted to that car and I want to feel that way again. I really like the look of the MSP and get really excited when I drive it!

What was your reason for trading the P5 for MSP?

I really like the fact that I don't see them. I see Civics, TC's, P5's, etc... all the time. When I bought my P5 I was supposed to get a MSP but my parents needed some cash at short notice so it was get the car or help the parents out and get the P5. I chose to help the parents out.

I like the look of both the P5 and the MSP, but with the MS3 (Mazdaspeed 3) expected to be released toward theend of this year. It might be worth waiting before you dump money into another vehicle. That is of course if money isn't as big of a deal to you. I the MS3 will have the room of the P5, but the power of a highly modified MSP. Of course you can get an MSP for about $13.5k-$16k, depending on milage and condition. If my financed were better aligned, I would definitely look into an MSP. There is one with around 30k miles for $13.5 in my area. Goodluck with your decision.

I traded in my P5 for a MSP, but that was in 2003. I'd trade my P5 in for a Mazdaspeed3 instead.

i also traded my p5 for my msp. kind of wish i wouldve just kept and turbod the p5.

I was thinking about doing the trade, but it was cheaper for me to do the msp swap on my car with some extra cash to spare.

Thanks for the replies! I am still thinking about what to do. I am also looking at a used WRX. I don't really like the 3's that much so I don't think I will be getting the MS3 (don't flame me, I just don't like the way they look).

Later!
Josh

I test drove the one I have been looking at today and it drove like a terd. The turbo did not seem to kick in until around 5500 to 6000 RPM and then it did not seem any faster than my P5! It shook all over the place and the interior was not taken care of at all! I was very disappointed as I was really hoping to like this MSP as they are hard to find.

Now I am either going to go with the WRX I have been looking at or start moding the P5 and hope it starts exciting me! :)

Later!
Josh

^sounds like the one you drove had issues. boost should kick in around 3500 and it shouldn't shake. they are out there, just find a different one if its what you really want

to the original post, i would not trade. to me the upgrade is not worth it. sure the MSP is better, but they are very close. in my mind i would only get rid of my car for a car that is totally different, otherwise what's the point? just keep what you have. for example, i was thinking about going from my MSP to an SRT4. i test drove the srt and sure, it was better, but it wasn't enough better to justify a switch (unless, of course, it wasn't going to cost anything but of course that never happens). when going to the evo, with awd, sunroof, HIDs and leather, along with 100 more hp and an engine with pieces not made of glass, that was enough for me to switch. going from a p5 to an MSP, in my mind, isn't enough of a change

i thought of that change too, right after the msp came out, but i really loved my p5...so....i just turbo'd it and now i'm relly happy:) . as far as the room goes, i'm not sure you're gaining to much, if anything with the msp??

Back