transmission fluid

Tengo

Banned
:
2002 Protege5
for automatic P5's, how often do u change the transmission fluid? cuz i went to have my check engine light diagnosed at mazda service and i need a new "speed sensor"??? and i think he said that the transmission isnt doing to good, pretty sure it just needs a flush and new tranny fluid.

I have been told 25K miles. That is when we did my wife's Mazda. Drives a lot better now, too.

i had mine flushed at 55K i dont know when the one before that was but every 25 sounds about right to me, and yes it does run better afterwards

i believe the "speed sensor" is what senses your gear and rpms that are converted and shown on your tach/od/speed ometers. so unless something seems funny on the dash, its prob ok

might want to do some more research on that, i'm not entirely sure ^ that is correct.

I held out until 35k then put on fluid cooler & did complete flush & changed over to amsoil synthetic. amsoil (or synthetic) is supposed to last twice as long. Shifts much better.

I suggest you install an auto-tran fluid cooler.
It cost about $35 online and take a few hours or less to install (sort of like plug in). It helps your transmission last longer and not needing to change the transmission fluid as often.

misbehave said:
I suggest you install an auto-tran fluid cooler.
It cost about $35 online and take a few hours or less to install (sort of like plug in). It helps your transmission last longer and not needing to change the transmission fluid as often.
And get the stacked plate cooler. It's cools better than the tube & fins one. It is supposed to be about 33% more efficient but either is better than none..

Back