help with springs and camber kit

bdd

:
2006 Mazda 3 S Touring
I just got in my Eibach pro-kit lowering springs and my camber kit should be here this week (hopefully, Eibach is terrible about these things). I have been looking everywhere and can't find a how to or any good instructions on how to install these. Does anyone have/know of a good how-to or can give me the steps to do this myself. I have never done any work like this on a car but love the satisfaction of doing work on my own.

Thanks for any help.

Here you go:)

Using vega500's how to, I found a new way on doing the install.
Here is a how to for the Eibach pro kit......

Tools needed...
-spring compressors (you can rent these at any auto parts store)
-17mm socket
-14 mm long socket
-14mm open end wrench
-allen keys (5mm and 6mm)
-1/2" wrench or torque wrench with 3/8" adapter unless you have 1/2" sockets
-17mm open end wrench
-A piece of wood about 3' long and a piece about 8" long
-10-20 pound sledge hammer
-WD-40
-safety glasses (at least while you're compressing the springs)

Front...
-Loosen wheel bolts
-Make sure the car is in gear, parking brake on then jack up both sides
-Put it on jack stands
-Remove wheels
-Slide the clip that holds the brake line to the strut tower off and push the brake line out (it's pops out when you push down a little)
612976_24_full.jpg

-Jack the spindle control arm up alittle to remove the tension on the strut... loosen and remove the 14mm nut that holds the sway bar link to the strut assembly
612976_22_full.jpg

-Remove the 17mm bolt from the bottom end of the strut tower
612976_25_full.jpg

-Remove the ABS sensor plug (if you have one) from the spindle
612976_23_full.jpg

-Drop the jack down so you can remove the spindle from the strut tower
-On the back of the spindle there is a place to put a heavy duty flat head screw driver. Try to spread the joint apart and spray WD-40 into where the spindle and strut assembly meet.
-Now take the shorter piece of wood and lay it across the spindle. Now take the longer piece and have in perpendicular to the shorter piece (so it pertrudes out of the wheel well). Bang on that piece of wood with the heavy hammer till the strut assembly and the spindle are seperated.
612976_26_full.jpg

-Open the hood
-Using a 17mm loosen the nut on the strut assembly (B). (Just loosen this nut...it will make it easier to take off when you compress the springs later on)
-Take a 14mm socket and remove the 3 bolts (A) on top of the strut tower - hold the tower for the last bolt so it doesn't fall
-Remove the tower
612976_27_full.jpg

-Compress the spring using a set of spring compressors
-Using a 17mm open end wrench and a 6mm allen wrench, remove the nut on top of the strut assembly that you already had broke free of the Loctite or what ever that green stuff is.
-Take the OEM spring off the assembly
-Remove the spring comressors
-Put the spring compressor on the new spring and compress
-Mount the spring onto the strut assembly (make sure you can read Eibach on the spring when you place it in the assembly) and place the top back on, snap the strut boot back onto the top plate
-Put the nut on top and tighten down
-Remove the spring compressors
-Mount the strut back in on the top but leave the nuts loose (This helps the assembly fit back into the spindle)
-Place the strut assembly over the spindle. Make sure the struts tab in the back is aligned to fit into the spindle notch
-Spray WD-40 where they both meet
-Jack the spindle up while a buddy jiggles the strut assembly (make sure the nuts on in the engine bay that holds the strut are loose).
-This should place the strut assembly back into the spindle
-Tighten the 3 nuts in the engine bay that hold the strut assembly
-Put your 17mm bolt back in and tighten
-Mount your sway bar link and the brake line/clip
-Place ABS sensor wire back on
-Repeat all of this to the other side

Back.....
This is a direct copy from vega500's...couldn't put this part any better

-SLIGHTLY loosen wheel bolts
-Make sure the car is in gear, parking brake on then jack up both sides
-Put it on stands
-Remove wheels
-Remove sway bar links from lower control arms... these links have allen sockets on the ends of the bolts... you'll probably need to use an allen to prevent the bolt from turning while you loosen the nut.
-Rotate the sway bar down and to the front of the car as far as it'll go
-Put jack under control arm to prevent it from dropping and sending the spring through you, your friend or a wall in the garage
remove 17mm bolt holding control arm to spindle.
-You do not have to remove the shock bolt
-Lower the control arm SLOWLY and the spring will ease it's way out.
-Put the new spring in.
-Jack the control arm up until it is aligned with the spindle bushing, insert the 17mm bolt and tighten with a torque wrench... don't know the torque spec but give it some muscle
-Do the other side.
-With both springs installed, put the sway bar back into the sway bar links... tighten links back up and remember these links have allen sockets on the end so you'll need to use an allen key to prevent the bolt from turning... Tighten them good... I thought mine were tight, but one was still a little lose and was causing a rattle.
-Double and triple check that the sway bar links and the control arm bolt are tight
-Put wheels back on and take it for a SLOW, short test drive and listen for rattles

No rattles....great enjoy
icon_lol.gif

612976_28_full.jpg

And remember...be carefull while doing this install. I do not take responsibility for anyone using what I have said for this install.
icon_wink.gif

OMG I looked all over and never saw that link .. LOL.

Thanks for the help Willys, I saw the one for the camber links but was unsure if that is what I bought .. guess I will see if I ever get them.

Thanks again

All the camber kits and lowering springs should install the same way.
I want to lower mine bad but I would like to get coilovers so I can raise it up in the Utah winter and slam it in the summer.

Ive been searching about the same stuff so it was all fresh in my head:)

good luck with your install

I just left my struts attached to the steering knuckle. No 3-ft piece of wood required. ;)

Latest posts

Back