Speed 6 GT Advanced keyless entry system

Samdiver74

:
Mazda Speed 6 GT, Black Mica
Speed 6 Advanced keyless entry.
My wife was saying that she was having problems starting the car the other day, so she had to dig the keyless remote out of her handbag, and it still wouldn't start.
Same happened to me today with the other remote, had the keyless remote in my back pocket, and I couldn't turn the key fob in the ignition, so I pulled the remote from my back pocket and noticed the tiny LED was flashing orange / red, waited a few seconds and tried to turn the car over again and it did unlock the steering this time and allowed me to start the car.
This is Kind of strange, I have bought a twin pack of CR2025 batteries for the remotes, but it seems odd that both the batteries would go at the same time.

Anyone know what could be causing this, the LED on the remote dosen't flash all the time, and the car hasn't even got wet from rain, since we bought it, only every other weekend when it gets washed, and I make sure I don't spray any water towards the keyless remote antenna, greatly appreciate anyones help on this one.
Cheers

Humm... The "Key" light in the dash cluster should tell you if the remove is going dead or not... I don't remember exactly how it works... just read about it in the user manual... Something about flashing and staying green.. or red... if the remove batteries are low. Has nothing to do with lights on the key remote (however those might also flash if low)

As for water... and remote sensor... I'm pretty sure the sensors are deep inside the doors... and the ignition sensors are in the center of the vehicle... so washing anywhere outside... should cause no problems (or we are all in trouble... and mazda has some explaining to do)

Assuming both remotes had batteries installed at the same time.. from the same place.. and have been sitting waiting for a buyer for the same amount of time... that could be how they both died. Did replacing the batteries fix it?

Something else, i'm not sure which vehicles you've owned in the past... however if you attempt to turn the steering wheel with the key all the way in off position it will lock the wheel and the key... Most newer vehicles have this as a theft protection setup.. If the steering wheel is locked in place... then it has nothing to do with your key.

Those are my ideas on the subject... I'd suggest reading the manual quick. It explains which lights mean what in the dash. And the system has a way of detecting weak or dying batteries in the remotes.

P.S. I've never had problems starting the vehicle.. however locking / unlocking seems to be a pain compared to aftermarket remotes i've had. I'll be walking way (maybe 10-15 feet) press the lock button and it doesn't register... Or i'll be walking towards the vehicle... trying to double press the unlock to let a passenger in.. and it won't register...

Yeah I don't know, I have read the manual a couple of times and it has only happened to me once, it could possibly have been the steering lock was on, but still I wiggled the steering as I was tryting to turn the key fob, and it didn't budge, which was when I got the book out and started to read about it.
I haven't changed the batteries out yet, but I have the spares in the glove box just in case.
If push came to shove I would have to utilize the back up key, located in the remote, and detach the key fob on the ignition barrel, and use the emergency key. will let you know if it happens again.
As for the antenna, Rainman had mentioned something in a previous post about it, saying that the connectors had got wet and the connectors were corroded, and was an issue which was fixed under the warranty, the antenna is mounted near the rear bumper somewhere, but I haven't really crawled underneath my vehicle yet to locate it. I will have to one of these days.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that sensor near the rear bumper is for the trunk release only. From what I remember seeing / reading... the car has a sensor by the driver and passenger door switches... and then three sensors inside the vehicle... around the center console.... Basically if the key was in a purse.. and someone tossed the purse on the back seat... it should still start just fine....

Samdiver74 said:
Speed 6 Advanced keyless entry.
the LED on the remote dosen't flash all the time, and the car hasn't even got wet from rain, since we bought it, only every other weekend when it gets washed, and I make sure I don't spray any water towards the keyless remote antenna, greatly appreciate anyones help on this one.
Cheers

the LED only flashes when it's in or near the car but the ignition is not on. Review the section about the keyless entry in the owner's manual to see if there is a malfunction.

Also, if the steering wheel has "locked" in the ignition-off position, the tension on the steering column locking mechanism can make it hard to turn the key again unless you release the pressure on it (jiggle the steering wheel) while turning the ignition switch. (It's like trying to unlock a deadbolt while someone is pushing really hard on the door.)

Yeah, the adv. keyless system seems to have some quirks in it. I have had two similar experiences. First, when going to start the car, I turned the fob, and it operated as normal (all dash light came on, radar detector, etc.) but the car wouldn't start when turning the fob to the start position. I turned the fob all the way off, then back on again, and the car started normally. Second, came out of the grocery store, and pressed the button on the trunk. System beeped as normal, and I heard all the doors unlock, but not the trunk. Pressed button again, and all the doors locked. Finally had to use the backup key in the remote to manually unlock the trunk. Then it worked fine. Both experiences only happened once, and never again. I've asked my local Mazda techs about this, and they've got nothing. I dunno.

Finally found a shock sensor and motion sensor OEM integration kit that should work with the speed6... having it shipped and installed soon! CAN"T WAIT... after having someone break a window in 1.5 month old car.... I'll finally be able to sleep easy!

titaniumSpeed6
Yeah mine used to do the same thing, until I got the auto lock sequence done.
But even that doesn't lock all the time, and I still have to hit the lock button from the remote to activate the alarm, what a pain in the ass.
to open the trunk via the door handle push button you have to hit it twice, once unlocks drivers door, twice opens drivers door, passenger doors and trunk.

After my sensor/antenna located in the rear bumper got soake from driving through the large amounts of slushy snow we had in December, my keyless door locks would not work at all. I could start the car most times with the key car in my pocket, but on occasion it was necessary to use the key to manually start the ignition. IIRC the light on the key car flashed red and orange during this time. The security light on the dash flashed red only during this time.

Once I had the problem diagnosed by my tech, a new antenna/sensor was ordered. Once this was replaced, everything was back to normal although I did have to reprogram some of the window switches. To minimize the chance of this recurring the tech heatsealed the connectors at the sensor hoping that any errant water would be kept outside of the antenna unit.

On another note, I have noticed from time to time that depending on how I stand beside the door of the car, sometimes I am not able to get the keyless system to acknowledge the card. As soon as I change positions so that I am a bit closer to the door everything works fine.

IIRC the sensor range for the keyless ignition at the side doors is a 3 ft semicircle about the door. Normally, the key is in my coat pocket or breast pocket of my shirt so I guess that occasionally it is just out of range. I don't think it is the battery as the remote door lock/unlock function works well from more than 50 ft away at the same time. Perhaps it is possible to increase the sensor range for the side doors to avoid this nuisance?

R

Well the latest, in my Scenario is the passenger door.
I can stand beside the Drivers door, hit the authorize button on the Drivers side door handle, and I can open the door, hit the button again and unlock all the doors and the trunk. So that is normal.
Now if I try the same thing on the passengers side, I hit the authorize button on the passenger door handle and I don't get anything, and that is with both Key cards. Yet if I hit the unlock button on the Key card, the Passenger door unlocks

So, it seems to me that the antennas are working ok, the problem seems to be in the Passenger door handle/lock (pissed)

So now the car is already scheduled to go in, AGAIN cause one of the bolts securing the Intercooler plastic cowling has sheared off, and the remaining thread has to be removed and a new bolt is going to be installed, I could do this myself, but why should I, it is covered under warranty.
It is something that probably the tech did the last time, tweeked the bolt too much when they did the purge solenoid fix.

But now this is a safety issue, so it is going in Earlier. Now I got to look forward to driving around in a POS Loaner vehicle, until this problem gets fixed.
I buy Mazda's flagship vehicle, and I get treated like crap when I go to the service department.
Also the vehicle has only got 2700 miles on it and it still hasn't had it's first oil change, if this keeps going I'm going to get another KIA, I've never had problems with the KIAs I had.

Last edited:
PerfectXtreme said:
Finally found a shock sensor and motion sensor OEM integration kit that should work with the speed6... having it shipped and installed soon! CAN"T WAIT... after having someone break a window in 1.5 month old car.... I'll finally be able to sleep easy!

care to tell us about that kit?

and sucks to have this fancy s***... just more s*** to break... as much of an "inconvenience" it is (how many decades people been doing that? :p ), I'll stick to the good ol' "put key in the ignition and turn the key to start the car" method :D

Not sure how much there is to tell... When you arm or disarm the stock alarm, it arms and disarms my shock and motion sensors... If you hit the vehicle.. tilt the vehicle.. or reach inside an open window.. it will cherp warnings.. and eventually set off both the factory and the aftermarket alarms...

BEST feature about this for me is the louder aftermarket siron.. when I lock the vehicle I can actually hear the cherp... the stock "beep" is terribly quiet and if you are walking away from the vehicle.. or in a loud area.. you can't hear it...

Samdiver74 said:
if this keeps going I'm going to get another KIA, I've never had problems with the KIAs I had.

KIA FTW!!!

Well the car still hasn't been in to get the door lock fixed yet, it is booked in for this Friday, but now the Drivers door is doing the same thing as the passenger door, and we have had rain which leads me to believe that it is possible something to do with either the antennas of the Door handles themselves.
Will hopefully let you all know after the car goes in on Friday.

PerfectXtreme said:
Not sure how much there is to tell... When you arm or disarm the stock alarm, it arms and disarms my shock and motion sensors... If you hit the vehicle.. tilt the vehicle.. or reach inside an open window.. it will cherp warnings.. and eventually set off both the factory and the aftermarket alarms...

BEST feature about this for me is the louder aftermarket siron.. when I lock the vehicle I can actually hear the cherp... the stock "beep" is terribly quiet and if you are walking away from the vehicle.. or in a loud area.. you can't hear it...

no, I don't care how it works, I know what a shock and motion sensor is
I asked for info *about* the kit, meaning who makes it, where to buy it, price, etc

TheMAN
Thanks for helping to jack my thread, I have a problem with my Keyless system and I post a thread in hopes of getting answers from those who may have had the same problem, or know anything about this system, If I could find a frickin Workshop manual for this car I would have it and not need to post a thread, I'm just trying to find answers to the problem with my Car.
You don't even have the keyless system, so why are you posting comments about it and jacking my thread.
I didn't care much for your snide comment.
So what if you don't have "Fancy s***", I choose to get the GT package for the Moon roof & Leather seats, the keyless system was an added gimmick.
Post your own thread about added aftermarket security system questions / concerns.

One thing that does go bad are the card key antennas that are around the car.

If you have a red key flashing that means it can't read the card key. This could be the result of the antenna not working properly or the card key not working properly.

The keyless system has an onboard diagnostic system. The DTC code could be pulled in seconds and tell the tech exactly the problem, down to the exact antenna location should that be the problem.

Short answer: Take it to the dealer to get a code pulled.

Thanks Chris-BE
Yeah it is going in this Friday, just figured I would ask a few of you guys on here to see if you knew.

I've seen and heard of some card key antenna's going bad early or actually bad out of the box.

Back