rust on a 2003 Protege5?!

VPower

Contributor
:
2003.P5
Hi everyone.

I went today fo my dealer to remove and change my tires (winter -> all seasons). Got another few things check too.

I left it there all day, went to get my car back at the end of the day.

On my way home, I stoped for gas. and what do I see:

on the body, near the rear bumber, there's like a baloon

(omg) I went back to the dealers, and ask someone to check, the ladie at the reception told me there's no one who can help me, but the tech can take a look.

I have to go back to check with the manager tomoorow (pissed)

When I bought the car, I had the 10 years anti-rust thingy.

*sigh* I dont feel very good right now...

it's actually pretty common unfortunately.

The area where the bumper meets the body in the rear wheel well seems to be a rust hotspot :(

on the body?!
shiet that sucks my rotors always look rusty after sittin in moisture for 10 minutes...? haha thats about all the rust problems i have (with exeption to all those ******* bolts under the car for various things)

hopefully they do somehting about it for you

Just out of curiosity what colour do you have? Red or yellow?

Red and yellow are known for their super thin paint. Your in canada, so any road sold thrown up and to the rear from your back tires lands right about where that rust is forming. It sucks, I know, but they should cover it under the "penetrating rust warranty" and take care of it for you, my dealership did for me, and I'm not the original owner.

My car is silver
i'll take picture and post it later.

Lord_Zath: that's common?!?

I'm IN PAIN!!!!!!!!!! (sad1)

Depends on many factors. Garaged, How often cleaned properly, Location, etc. Now I live and the northeast and live right near the ocean, so I have double the salt content, but I keep my car in the garage and am very meticulous about removing all water from crevices. So it's almost rust free, other than little undercarriage metals.

altspace said:
Depends on many factors. Garaged, How often cleaned properly, Location, etc. Now I live and the northeast and live right near the ocean, so I have double the salt content, but I keep my car in the garage and am very meticulous about removing all water from crevices. So it's almost rust free, other than little undercarriage metals.

i dont htink it has much to do with how well you care for it. every illinois member knows how meticulous i was with my p5 and it still rusted. like steve (lord zath) said, the area around the rear wheel wells is a hot spot for rust on the p5. ive seen many used p5's on dealer lots that have rust in that area aswell. unless you bought some sort of rust proctection warranty, youre screwed.

Lord_Zath said:
it's actually pretty common unfortunately.

The area where the bumper meets the body in the rear wheel well seems to be a rust hotspot :(

Yeah, I know that from experience. The dealership can cover it under the rust penetration warranty which is 7 years unlimited mileage. They might complain about it but all it should take is threatening to call Mazda North America, though for me walking in with my lawyer did the trick after they tried to tell me that they wouldn't cover it under warranty because I have aftermarket wheels.

I'm not a freak when come to washing, but I do take care (love) my car.
I went to see the diretor of the service. Was really a PIA.
1st, he said there's 2 kind of rust
1. surface rust = covered by the 3 years warranty
2. perforation rust = covered in the 5 years warranty
The rust I have is considered surface rust.
My P5 is a 2003, bought on 2002.
Next, I told him I got their anti-rust thingy for 10 years bought at the dealer(same).
He said: you have to look at your contract
I said: I dont have it on me
He said: go home and read it
I said: You (dealer) sold me the car AND the Anti-Rust program, so you SHOULD have at least one copy of it in your office.
He said: i'll need contact the director of the zone if this can be pass onto the Mazda Warranty
So, i'm waiting for his call.
As I checked this morning, it worse, it's on BOTH SIDE of the car (sad2)
My conclusion: Director want to pass that repair into the warranty of Mazda and NOT the anti-rust I bought from the dealer
Sorry for the long post.

If it is bubbling the paint it is NOT surface rust.

I had to wait for the regional rep to come to the dealership to examine it, but it IS covered under the warranty. You should not need to put a claim in through your anti-rust warranty. I also guarantee that if your anti-rust warranty came with the application of some sort of undercoating, they definitely didn't get it up in the area where it is rusting from.

How old are you? If you're like me (was 19 at the time) you may have to threaten legal action (or literally walk in with your lawyer like I did) or contact Mazda North America about it.

KanseiZM said:
Yeah, I know that from experience. The dealership can cover it under the rust penetration warranty which is 7 years unlimited mileage. They might complain about it but all it should take is threatening to call Mazda North America, though for me walking in with my lawyer did the trick after they tried to tell me that they wouldn't cover it under warranty because I have aftermarket wheels.

WTF!!!??? I never knew aftermarket wheels would cause RUST! At least they honored it. As far as attorneys my wife works for one, hopefully I will never have to go that route.

i ahve some rust building up on the trunk, i sanded it a lil bit and painted over it, hopefully taht helped

JOS3 said:
i dont htink it has much to do with how well you care for it. every illinois member knows how meticulous i was with my p5 and it still rusted. like steve (lord zath) said, the area around the rear wheel wells is a hot spot for rust on the p5. ive seen many used p5's on dealer lots that have rust in that area aswell. unless you bought some sort of rust proctection warranty, youre screwed.

Werd, son.

It's a real tossup when it comes to rust and dealers. Most don't want to deal with it. Just remember that one dealer will react differently to others. Try going to others if one is being stupid. Worst case scenario is you contact MNAO.

Lord_Zath said:
Werd, son.

It's a real tossup when it comes to rust and dealers. Most don't want to deal with it. Just remember that one dealer will react differently to others. Try going to others if one is being stupid. Worst case scenario is you contact MNAO.

They don't actually deal with it themselves anyway, they'll just find the shadiest and cheapest local body shop possible and ship it off there.

Vpower, I think every car subjected to winter driving gets rust. I found rust in my rear wheel wells it the very back portion where the rubber coating had worn off, I repaired it myself. Also if you remove the side paneling inside the trunk and look in where the rear fenders are you will likely see where all your rust is. I noticed a small amount of rust on the inside seam on mine so I sprayed some Krown Rust control stuff in there. And finally in the engine compartment on the front part of the strut towers right along the seams you may see some rust, I plan to tackle that on my car this summer.
I bought my MP3 last summer to avoid rust since my last car was severely infected, but I soon found out I could not avoid it :(

Back