Suicide Doors

Dark_Phantom

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Call me weird, but I happen to really like suicide doors. One of the reasons I like the RX-8 so much is because of the doors Mazda put on it. I've seen some pretty hefty modifications be done to doors, especially with the new trend of the gullwing doors, which I personally don't care for unless they're hydraulic.

Point being, since it's feasible to get a door to rise into the air, would it not be feasible to put suicide doors on a P5? I'm not talking in terms of money or practicality as much as I am from the wouldn't-that-be-cool perspective. Am I alone in thinking that'd be pretty cool looking?

Dark_Phantom said:
Call me weird, but I happen to really like suicide doors. One of the reasons I like the RX-8 so much is because of the doors Mazda put on it. I've seen some pretty hefty modifications be done to doors, especially with the new trend of the gullwing doors, which I personally don't care for unless they're hydraulic.

Point being, since it's feasible to get a door to rise into the air, would it not be feasible to put suicide doors on a P5? I'm not talking in terms of money or practicality as much as I am from the wouldn't-that-be-cool perspective. Am I alone in thinking that'd be pretty cool looking?

well man. here's the deal. You haven't been the only person to think about this. Because i was thinking about doing it to my protege..it's an lx sedan but yea. I'll be doing it soon.

That's great. If you don't mind, I'd really like it if you would show how you end up going about it when you do. That is of course if you don't mind sharing.

Dark_Phantom said:
That's great. If you don't mind, I'd really like it if you would show how you end up going about it when you do. That is of course if you don't mind sharing.
oh i'll definatly share.. I love taking pictures and stuff. I'll let you know I know there is something that can do it.

Same here, assuming I get the means for it anytime soon... It's honestly a distant project for me. Pipe dream, I guess. Right now I'm focusing in tightening up the handling, and then rims and tires.

Dark_Phantom said:
Same here, assuming I get the means for it anytime soon... It's honestly a distant project for me. Pipe dream, I guess. Right now I'm focusing in tightening up the handling, and then rims and tires.
heh. well I'm gettin my motor tuned, and what not. I've done the suspension. I need to do the body work and paint. and interior. so the suicides are apart of that.

Yeah I had discussed this w/ a couple of friends of mine about doing the suicides on the back doors, I personally think it would look badass

2k2silvermp5 said:
Yeah I had discussed this w/ a couple of friends of mine about doing the suicides on the back doors, I personally think it would look badass
well, i'll let you kno how it comes out. I'll post pictures and what not. I also have the lambo fronts so...we'll see how that goes. I did the lambo hinges myself. Decah is a good kit.

I hope you have some gnarly fabrication skills, its not as easy as flipping the hinges to the other side :)

Beau M said:
I hope you have some gnarly fabrication skills, its not as easy as flipping the hinges to the other side :)
heh, Oh i know. I've taken the time to read into it. welding, cutting, bolting..there's a lot of s*** that goes into it. especially to make the finished product look good.

It would def look sick on the back doors. Give it a real respectable look, I would love to see it.

i was thinkin if you went all out, you could do the suicide on back so it'd be somewhat decent to get lambo doors up front. cuz those on sedan/4door cars just don't work unless you got some sweet s*** goin on in the back.

never acutally thought about doing it, but got bored in class one day and started drawing it. cool concept that others've thought of huh?

awsmp5 said:
i was thinkin if you went all out, you could do the suicide on back so it'd be somewhat decent to get lambo doors up front. cuz those on sedan/4door cars just don't work unless you got some sweet s*** goin on in the back.

never acutally thought about doing it, but got bored in class one day and started drawing it. cool concept that others've thought of huh?
yeah man. I can't wait to work it out. cuz I think people will really like it. except that not many people on the forums like the lambos.

Crazee D said:
I'd luv to see some gull-wing style doors
hehe. they would look good. but I'm not paying 2500.00 for those fuckers. heh. I'll stick with my lambo and suicide combo. I think that will be enough.

Having suicide rear doors would be so much fun, but sorta ghetto because the B pillar will still be there. With the way the rear edge of our door is shaped and weighted, having it swing suicide style is going to require some really strong hinges that's for sure.

KanseiZM said:
Having suicide rear doors would be so much fun, but sorta ghetto because the B pillar will still be there. With the way the rear edge of our door is shaped and weighted, having it swing suicide style is going to require some really strong hinges that's for sure.
yeah. but if it's done right, then more power to us ya know?just about anything with our car requires large modification..ya know? so wtf..oh well. I'd rather my car just be badass.. so we'll see how it all works. like I said, it's getting tuned right now. then it goes to the body shop for body/paint/maybe suicides.

boostdprotegelx said:
yeah. but if it's done right, then more power to us ya know?just about anything with our car requires large modification..ya know? so wtf..oh well. I'd rather my car just be badass.. so we'll see how it all works. like I said, it's getting tuned right now. then it goes to the body shop for body/paint/maybe suicides.

Definitely post up some pics if/when you do the suicide doors, I bet it'll look great when done. I assume the rear door handles would be shaved as they wouldn't serve too much purpose anymore. I'd love to shave my rear doors entirely and just have a nice big trunk on my P5 :)

KanseiZM said:
Definitely post up some pics if/when you do the suicide doors, I bet it'll look great when done. I assume the rear door handles would be shaved as they wouldn't serve too much purpose anymore. I'd love to shave my rear doors entirely and just have a nice big trunk on my P5 :)
heh. I'm not sure about the shaved doors. i'm not much on having shaved door handles. I would like to relocate the handle personally. Cuz my front handles aren't shaved.. also I don't like having to have a damn remote to open someones door.. i wanted to also take out the rear deck seat and put 2 racing seats there.

Back