FP-DE/FS-DE alternate OEM spark plug recommendation

hmmm from what I tried
the ZFR5F-11 V-Power: seems to have loss of power and mileage went down

The BKR6EIX-11: more power (well in acceleration) not so sure about mileage at the moment

I was talking to a NGK rep. at the lordco trade show in Vancouver and he said that due to the fuel blend in North American having more ethanol making the flame fronts faster during a combustion, its best to go with the shorter and colder plug....practically he told me to stick to stock plugs...

other ppls thoughts, idea's and opinions?

Has anyone had fouling/cel issues with these plugs at all? I tried the zfr5f's both before and after swapping to the mp3 ecu, resulting in a cel after about 500mi. Should I try out the 6 heat range since i live in hot ass texas? I see most of you with good results live up north.

I've been running ZRF5s for 24000 miles with no issues (I'm just about to change them) and with an MP3 ecu for 8k miles. No CEL or fouling, although I've seafoamed a few times. I'm not North, but North of you (KY).

hmmm...only other thing i can think of is that my ignition coils are bad. I replaced the spark plug wires but havent changed those out yet.

I think i need new ones. NGK has the ZF plugs listed for the 02 but not for the 2001, mines a 2001 i wonder which i should get?

I'll probably be getting some ZFR5F-11's soon and was wondering what gap I should set the plugs at? I have a completely stock '03 Protege ES with the MP3 ECU.

i just double checked they were correct... and they were. i believe the 11 at the end is the gap they were set to.

After a couple of tanks here... I now do about 50-75 more KM on a tank. On my last tank, the fuel light came on at around 600 KM :D (burnout)

Well... I did those in 2006. Haven't touched it since and on my last tank, the fuel light came on at 615 KM. It's been at least 100K KM since I did those.

Yeah, time to put some new ones in

Bit of thread necrophilia here but anyway...

I'm from Australia and the ZFR5 plug is the stock plug for our FS-DE. The FS-DE we get is better than US spec but not quite Jspec. (Main differences are JDM cams, slightly higher compression, VICS but no VTCS and ODB-1 computer) It's rated for 95 octane. Here 'regular gas' is 91 octane and you can get 95 and 98 as premium, and there is none of that nasty ethanol stuff in it.

I replaced some 10-15k mile old Bosch platinum plugs for NGK V power BKR5E-11s. I haven't noticed anything different at all, drives the same, starts up the same, gas mileage is the same if not worse.

I've posted on this before... DO NOT USE THESE IN FI motors. The extended reach greatly increases your risk of detonation. We've watched it on the J&S safeguard switching betwen plugs there is a clear difference in detonation between them, the extended reaches are much more prone to it. Great in cold weather, for idle, start, etc... but very dangerous when the boost levels rise or the car goes lean.

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping someone could explain what FI refers to.

Aha , thanks. So you wouldn't have any qualms about installing these on a stock engine?

Nope. They won't really give any performance benefit that is measurable either though. They do help some with engines that run a little rougher. I don't remember them being real expensive. So they are plenty safe in a NA (naturally aspirated) engine either way.

Back