Protege cabin air filter Installation

Oh wow this is a great jdm/edm upgrade!

So I don't have any experience working with AC systems. I only have experience with suspension, brake, and intake/exhaust, and sound systems -- the basic rice recipe. What equipment is needed for the project. You mentioned a machine... I'ld like to research this and then go for it. I really want to do this for my P5 -- I don't have allergies but my lady does and she could really appreciate it if I did this.

Essentially one needs experience using the specialized equipment right? So where would I start? Would it be possible to rent this equipment? If not I'll need to pay someone to do this which I don't like doin. You know I just don't want pay some person to do a poor job because they are careless.

I've been ****** with too much to let people touch my car anymore. Just recently I got new tires from tirerack.com and I took them into sears to get mounted and balanced. Some air head put one tire on the rim backwards. Then I realized that every tire except for one was rotating the wrong direction! What can I say I'm jaded -- at least I pay attention to what's going on. I wouldn't be surprised if I had someone do this cabin air filter project and tell me I'm all set only to find all the parts I supplied them with in the dumpster behind their shop. I would like to believe my local mazda dealership would be competent but then the other question is how much friggin' flow is it gonna take!?

if your AC already doesn't work (freon leaked out), then you can just install this s*** before bringing it to a shop to get it recharged/fixed

otherwise for the DIYer, the best way to do this responsibly is to bring it to a trustworthy shop... tell them what you will be doing, and offer to pay them 20 or 30 bucks to use their recovery machine to suck out your freon... go home, take the few hours to install the s***... go back to the shop and have them recharge it... if your AC is fully working, then you shouldn't have to pay much for the same amount of freon back ;)

if your evaporator blew up, there's additional info in the FAQ to order the WHOLE unit that has EVERYTHING preinstalled, including the filter

Alternative method without having to remove anything from the car or recycle freon:

Open the original box using a xacto blade as such:

P1010452.jpg

Insert filters as per instructions above:

P1010453.jpg

Voila:

P1010454.jpg

Probably because not having a cabin air filter is really no big deal so no one really cared enough to actually look into this. Edwin's approach is pretty involved with the freon capturing and probably turned everyone off. Focus, on the other hand, just bought a Familia from Japan that probably came with the filter and after some close inspection of how the filter setup differs from the non-filter setup, he realized an incledibly simple way to fit it.

Probably because not having a cabin air filter is really no big deal so no one really cared enough to actually look into this. Edwin's approach is pretty involved with the freon capturing and probably turned everyone off. Focus, on the other hand, just bought a Familia from Japan that probably came with the filter and after some close inspection of how the filter setup differs from the non-filter setup, he realized an incledibly simple way to fit it.

(crazy) thanks - it wasn't really a literal question though. On the brightside, this brings the part costs down to around $40.

And I disagree that not having a cabin air filter is no big deal. Where I live, there is a lot of road construction going on right now, and I have to drive through it every day, which fills my car with lots of dust and weird smells. This is just one of myriad examples, but the point is that I think they do make a big difference.

So the parts required would be the Cooling Unit Seal, License Plate Holder and the Cooling Unit Filter to do the install if I have read correctly.

where do you guys import your parts from if you were to do something like this.. google is no help at all :(

what's the part# for the all the parts needed?? can we order from local mazda dealer in US??

Alternative method without having to remove anything from the car or recycle freon:

Open the original box using a xacto blade as such:

P1010452.jpg

Insert filters as per instructions above:

P1010453.jpg

Voila:

P1010454.jpg

bump goodness

i just brought this msp week ago.

i just realized theres no filter for american protege this afternoon after i took down the glove box and look for filter slot.

then i googled and found this thread XD

i am pretty lost here... you think mazda dealer could still order those parts for me if i ask them?

Back